Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Think my anxiety has turned into OCD ?

(18 Posts)
working9while5 Mon 06-May-13 22:04:15

I agree it is just semantics, they are all just different ways of labelling pretty similar behaviours. CBT or ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) get my vote. I probably find ACT a bit better than CBT but have done both, therapist suggested mindfulness and ACT for me.

Winetime1981 Mon 06-May-13 21:58:17

I'm glad you're feeling better. It's fecking AWFUL. X

Lonelybunny Mon 06-May-13 21:47:22

Thank you wine time smile I'm actually feeling better now I think the citalopram is calming me down , I've only checked a handful of times today but I'm not panicking about it ifyswim . I'm nearly 29 I shouldn't be worrying like this but can't help it xx

Winetime1981 Mon 06-May-13 21:38:44

Sorry for typos - in a rush.

Winetime1981 Mon 06-May-13 21:37:39

Hi there. I've seen a couple of your posts - how are you today?

I am the same. I really am. I suffered horrendous anxiety after DS and it turned into health anxiety. I found a lump in my armpit. Three doctors said it was nothing. I insisted on an ultrasound. It wa a cyst. I STILL worry about it - and that I have other cancers. I've convinced myself of breast cancer, lymphoma, all sorts.

On the lead up to my scan I really felt like I'd lost it properly. I just wasn't coping with the possibility that it could be cancer. I've never gone down the AD route as they terrify me, but I was a whisker away from actually needing sme kind of tranquilliser to get me through. I really, really sympathise with you - ad want you to know you're not alone.

I just can't accept that I'm not going to get cancer at a relatively young age (I'm 31). However what's helping me is trying to let go...I.e. there's nothing I can do to control if it did happen. It's not in my hands. What also helps is thinking about what would happen if I did get cancer. Would I just give up? No! I'd fight.

Running and trying to keep healthy is also helping.

Lonelybunny Sat 04-May-13 15:17:57

It's horrible sad I've spent nearly all day checking my darn boobs sad

Apanicaday Sat 04-May-13 14:56:47

My health anxiety turns into OCD very easily when it's bad - I used to spend hours checking myself for bruises etc (it also manifests when driving - I will convince myself I've run someone over and have to drive back to check, or check the news endlessly for hit and run accidents etc). I don't have it so that I'm cleaning things - that's not how mine manifests, but it's is certainly the intrusive thoughts and checking rituals. I found that citalopram did help, but not until I got to 40mg - the lower doses I was on did nothing. I also find cbt incredibly helpful, but only once the medication has kicked in - otherwise I seem to be able to do the "theory" of cbt without actually believing it, if that makes sense. I'm working towards being able to do CBT without needing the medication as well, but am not there yet.

zippy539 Fri 03-May-13 21:04:30

I'm not an expert but I have a male friend with full-on diagnosed OCD and I know that one of his 'things' was repeatedly checking himself for lumps - he'd take an hour in the shower every morning cause he just kept on checking. He's on meds now and much better (don't know which meds).

spanky2 England Fri 03-May-13 21:01:41

I also did CBT which was amazing . I have got my life back . Well , and the happy pills obviously !grin

spanky2 England Fri 03-May-13 20:58:35

Citralopram is a straight antidepressant . It did nothing for me. I have anxiety and depression and found venalfaxine much more helpful about calming the excessive worrying .

Lonelybunny Fri 03-May-13 20:48:57

Well my GP wasn't really much help to b honest didnt really offer any help and asked if I wanted meds or not ?

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 03-May-13 20:46:52

It takes a while for it to start working.

I took dosulepin for 18 months. It allowed me to sleep and had an almost immediate calming effect.

Lots of fresh air and exercise also helped.

I worried about everything - convinced was dying, even that a plane would drop on the house. All linked to grief.

Over five years on I am generally well, with occasional panic attacks. You will get better - don't fight it. Allow yourself time to heal.

'Self help for your nerves' is a brilliant book which really helped me.

awkwardsis Fri 03-May-13 20:42:22

When I had OCD I was very resistant to the label as my problem didn't seem to fit the stereotype. But OCD can accurately be described as intrusive thoughts and behaviours. Mine started as anxiety. Worth keeping an eye on, but really this is all just semantics. You know you have a problem. Breast issue aside, are you n any form of treatment? CBT was my absolute saviour.

Lonelybunny Fri 03-May-13 20:42:19

I have mentioned it I've been put on 10 mg citalopram

Lonelybunny Fri 03-May-13 20:40:21

Exactly it's taking over my darn life sad

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 03-May-13 20:39:58

I had this when I was suffering with depression. Mention it to your GP.

spanky2 England Fri 03-May-13 20:37:05

You are worried about your health and I think that is why you are checking . Keep busy. Most lumps are benign but you are mentally preparing yourself for the worst . biscuit wine thanks

Lonelybunny Fri 03-May-13 20:33:17

Ok as per my other thread about my health anxiety I think I've developed OCD ? I'm waiting to see breast surgeon as I've convinced myself lump in my breast is bad news. I now have to check my boob 20 times a day , I can't help but check it . I think it's OCD anyone have any experience of this ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now