Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone suffer from travel anxiety?

(8 Posts)
DoesBuggerAll Thu 18-Apr-13 20:09:50

Princess, what you have may well be the beginnings of agoraphobia. My advice to you is to keep getting on trains, don't avoid them. Get on all types of them, don't avoid certain types. Avoidance feeds agoraphobia. Don't feed it. Accept your anxiety, tell yourself that it's fine to feel anxious, even panicky. Tell yourself that the anxiety has nothing to do with where you are, it's just anxiety. Keep getting out there and don't learn to fear the fear. DO NOT AVOID.

True. That could have been a trigger. What's frustrating for me is that I don't know why I feel this way... Each day seems to be getting worse.

DonnaRoll Sun 14-Apr-13 20:04:34

There was a train crash about 9 years ago on a route I knew well and frequently travelled on. Sadly a few people died, one was a lady who lived in the same town. My anxiety about trains could have possibly started then but I suffer from severe anxiety anyway.

Momma- it's the same fear I have..being trapped inside a train or in a tunnel. I've stopped getting into trains which are sealed and do not give you the option to open a window.

DonnaRoll- None of what I fear has happened to me too..(yet) but every time I read about something like that I get all panicked. Especially the news about the train which got ditch between st.albans and radlett sometime this Feb due to the power cable coming down. The funny thing is I used to love trains..as far as I have my book I didn't even mind if I had a seat or not.

DonnaRoll Fri 12-Apr-13 21:14:23

Public transport makes me anxious. Trains more than anything else. I worry about silly things (although they are very real fears for me) like getting on the wrong train, missing the train, train crashing, being delayed and getting stuck at my destination.
I don't know where the anxiety has come from because none of the above has happened to me.

I do understand how you feel, although your anxietys maybe different. Can't offer any advice but your not on your own.

mommabee Fri 12-Apr-13 18:13:14

What makes you anxious?
I can feel very anxious as I have agoraphobic tendencies and so feel trapped when on public transport , can't really just ask the train driver to stop and let me off! hmm

Unfortunatelyanxious Thu 11-Apr-13 09:13:43

I drive to work but I do struggle on public transport. Not because of the transport but because I cannot bear crowds and also have germ phobias. I can't offer advice on how to feel better about it but I do understand.

Mine is a fear of being touched or coughed on. If I could have a carriage to myself it would be fine. It also means I don't go to the cinema, concerts or the theatre anymore. It is limiting but it saves money!

Especially on the train while commuting to work? Have been struggling lately and thought of finding out if someone else goes through this? It's a difficult subject to discuss as many people do not understand it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now