Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety through the roof

(3 Posts)
Pims916 Sat 30-Mar-13 14:32:37

I have been having anxiety attacks and panic attacks for many years now and I find that the best way to bring myself down is to ask someone (usually my husband) to talk to me about his motorbike/a TV show - anything that is not connected with how I am feeling. Sometimes I shout 'STOP' to myself every time a negative thought comes into my head and keep doing so until it goes away. By far, the best is the distraction method though.
When you are not having an anxiety attack, try to do some relaxation exercises and try to do things that make you feel relaxed - in my case, music or walking outdoors.
If you do end up on medication, that does not mean that you have failed in any way. After years of fighting my condition, I finally gave in and have been on medication for many years now. Though I hate it, I have accepted that I have an illness (depression and anxiety) and that I need to take medication to control it. I still have setbacks occasionally but on the whole, my life is good again.
When you look logically at it, if you had diabetes and needed daily injections, you wouldn't fight it and try to do without it would you? The same applies to mental health problems!
Best of luck :-)

TheAccidentalEgghibitionist Tue 26-Mar-13 08:41:39

You're not a failure. Anxiety is human but too much is unbearable. I found the way to deal with my anxiety is to face it head on, like an enemy.
I actually talk to it and get angry with it.
'come on then you pain in the ass, do your worst because I'm not scared of you and I can handle anything you throw at me because you are only an emotion'

It takes the fear of fear away, it really works. For years I tried to ignore it but I've found that doesn't help me.
Good luck.

CluckyChubster Tue 26-Mar-13 08:30:32

Feeling really anxious, panicky and shaky. Have always been a fairly anxious person but in the last year it has skyrocketed. My DM has suffered with some more serious MH problems and I think part of my anxiety is that I will end up the same, and the panic about that makes 'ending up the same' more of an actuality if that makes sense. I've been to GP who gave me a number of an org who will do a telephone assessment with me soon to find out what sort of help I need, but in the meantime I'm panicking about that as well because I don't want to admit I need help. I was put on a low dose of prozac when I was a teen (for SAD) but I didn't stay on it long, was terrified I'd get addicted and end up on stronger things. If I could sort this without medication it would be ideal, but the worse I get the less likely this seems. I'm close to tears most of the time and had my first panic in 10 years the other day. It was horrible, I thought I was going to fall down the stairs with it. Don't know what I was going to get out of writing this down but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, and I suppose I just want a bit of support, and for people to tell me I'm not a failure because I've finally asked for help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now