Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline side effects

(11 Posts)
NuttyNewDog Fri 29-Mar-13 04:55:23

I found they started to help within a few days. Side effects were bizarre dreams, jaw clenching and a mild headache. Oh, and complete inability to orgasm!

I'm so relieved to be on them. I've realised how long it's been since I felt positive about life and my concentration is much better. Good luck.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Mar-13 22:28:59

never yes i am feeling much better on them. the side effects wear off and i feel more like the person i used to be. its taken a good few months though. started on 50mg in december, upped dose to 100mg about 6 weeks later, i worried with the increase in dose that the side effects would kick in again but they didnt. I would say its only been in the last 6 weeks that i have felt normal again - i seem to have my motivation back. no longer laying in bed all day, or slobbing about in pjs, i had got where i wasnt getting dressed for my days off, wasnt brushing hair or doing anything except sleep....wasnt seeing friends, didnt go out, just retreated to bed. Feel the need to do that much much less now. Way more good days than bad.

i also had the loss of appetite - sadly that doesnt last either!

Cairngorms Wed 27-Mar-13 16:20:00

I found the side effects lasted a week or two, but I had a serious physical infection at the same time, and am not sure which was side effects and which was recovery from the infection. I think I had a week when I took half a tablet one day and a whole the next.
Best wishes - it was worth it when they passed.

HonniBee Wed 27-Mar-13 16:07:44

Thanks for all you replies.

I decided to keep taking half a tablet for a little while longer - I'll up them again next week. It's half term so a little easier to deal with at home rathe than work.

The most annoying thing is the difficulty sleeping. I'm shattered but they make me all restless and jittery at night time so I struggle to drift off. The appetite is tricky too- I feel a bit sick, but hungry at the same time an don't feel like eating anything! Poor DH cooked an amazing meal the other night and I could only stomach a few mouthfuls. hmm

I'll stick with it though!

NeverBeenToMe Wed 27-Mar-13 13:44:53

Vicar are you feeling better on them? I think I will be going onto 100mg, I feel better than I did, but still not 'right'.

tabbycat15 Wed 27-Mar-13 05:17:19

My psychiatrists has always started me in 1/2 a tablet for the first 2 weeks then afterwards a full tablet. This minimizes any side effects. I found I had a mild headache, slight anxiety, loss of appetite, & grippy stomach for a few days.
I have tried loads of anti d's, old & new ones & this one had the least side effects for me.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Mar-13 00:48:15

they all pass. stick with it.
im on 100mg now - started on 50mg and thought id never feel better. they made me feel drunk and spaced out, jittery. i had jaw clenching and teeth chattering. fatigue like nothing id known.

all gone now. nothing at all. i started them in dec, upped dose about 6 weeks later to 100mg....full treatment dose. now no side effects what so ever.

NeverBeenToMe Tue 26-Mar-13 20:36:21

Oh, and unfortunately only temporarily lost my appetite. It's back now sad

NeverBeenToMe Tue 26-Mar-13 20:34:51

I was shattered for a couple of days, on 50mg. Then by about day 4 I felt amazing, actually wanted to get out of bed in the morning, could cope fine with the 4 year old, smiling, laughing etc. Then that started to fade a bit, and I've levelled out (about week 5 now). We're just seems how it goes, rather than immediately increase the dose.

IAmLouisWalsh Tue 26-Mar-13 20:30:18

Mine faded fairly quickly. I was shaky and quite nauseous, and hd increased anxiety.

I did find that I had a very upset stomach on one particular brand - Lustral. Nowhere near as bad on other brands.

HonniBee Mon 25-Mar-13 21:44:14

Hi all.
I've just started on sertraline. I've purposefully avoided and am avoiding any research on side effects, mostly because I'm pretty sure I'll just start looking for them if I know what they might be. I started taking a full tablet yesterday (half a day for a week before that) and I've been feeling pretty damn pants since then.
So...
How long did your side effects (whatever they were) last? I know everyone is different, but I just want to know about others experiences, mostly so I can convince myself that it does end and I should carry on with them.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now