Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

alternatives to citalopram for long term depression?

(5 Posts)
apatchylass Sun 24-Mar-13 23:05:26

Hi,
I've been on 20mg citalopram for years now - can't even remember how long. It has been fantastic for the depression - pretty much cured what has been a life long battle since teens.

But I'm so fed up with the massive weight gain (25lbs) and the excessive sleepiness. I sleep 8-10 hours each night and another 1-3 hours in the afternoons, which really affects my work (I run my own business from home but only work part time due to the exhaustion.)

I'm really loathe to just come off it without something else lined up because I know the depression wasn't linked to a situation - it's hereditary. But I really want to find a way out of this sleepy slothdom. I have no motivation to lose weight or do anything beyond the basics, and it's beginning to have a negative impact on life whereas until now the impact has been so beneficial.

It was a friend who told me about citalopram in the first place and I;ve always been so grateful to her. I'd tried Prozac and seroxat neither of which worked.

Just wondered if anyone else here who also needs long term medication for depression has found an alternative which doesn't cause exhaustion and weight gain. I'd be happy to try anything incluyding alternative therapies and diet change etc.

apatchylass Mon 25-Mar-13 09:33:10

Bump. Pretty please, any advice? I can look online and talk to the doctor, but usually the first hand experience of other people on MN is more useful.

Has anyone come off it for long term depression and found another solution that works as well without the side effects of weight gain and sleepiness?

Queenofknickers Mon 25-Mar-13 09:38:01

Hi, I take Prozac but also a relatively new med called Valdoxan (agomelatine). I used to take mirtazapine but the weight gain and sleepiness was awful plus it stopped working. Most GPs haven't heard of Valdoxan and it is usually given out by Psychiatrists but it is always worth asking.
Good luck thanksthanks

apatchylass Mon 25-Mar-13 10:08:19

Thank you Queen. I've just looked it up online and it sounds really promising. Suits long term depressives, it also helps with poor sleep patterns and gallstones (another problem I have). Wonder if the doctor will consider trying me on it.

pipsqueakz Tue 26-Mar-13 15:55:35

My dh was on citalopram but it reacts with meds for another condition he has so doc has changed him to venlafaxine hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now