Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

stopping citalopram

(3 Posts)

Thanks, the symptoms seem to have subsided now so hopefully thats the worst over with.

Hopeforever Mon 18-Mar-13 19:53:16

Your symptoms are classic withdrawal side effects.

Some people can come off fairly quickly but you would be much better cutting down far more slowly.

10 mg for a month or more, then 5 mg for the next month, then 5mg every 36 hours if you get symptoms stopping from 5mg every day.

Talk to your GP and if they agree, get yourself a pill cutter to go down to 5mg

Good Luck

Hi, have any of you stopped taking citalopram suddenly? If so, did you experience any side effects? I had been taking 20 mg a day for 3 years. Stupidly I stopped taking it just over a week ago as I'd ran out and was ill with a cold so didn't go to sort out my prescription. Then I thought maybe now was as good a time as any to stop. So now I'm experiencing fatigue, nausea, headaches and general 'brain fugginess' iykwim. In the last couple of days I've struggled to string a sentence together at times. I thought some of these symptoms might be due to the cold virus I have but not all. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Any idea how long it might last? Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now