Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Just gone from 20mg of Prozac a day to 40mg - bit scared of side effects

(12 Posts)
Queenofknickers Sat 23-Mar-13 13:33:35

I did t get any side effects going up to 40 and try not to worry if they become less effective as there are other things they can add in. I take Valdoxan AND Prozac together and they sort of boost each other. I think you'd have to take a seriously large OD to get Serotonin Syndrome. I have other meds that I take for migraine that say they shouldn't be mixed with Prozac because of SS but GP and psychiatrist said it is fine.

IWantATowel Sat 23-Mar-13 10:40:40

it does worry me too that eventually they'll become less efficient and there will be nowhere else to go! I know where I am with prozac and I wouldn't feel comfortable changing. I've tried other things in the past and have reacted badly to them. I have heard of people being on 80 prozac but not often

evansthebread Fri 22-Mar-13 19:38:09

I'm on 60. I felt better with each increase, but now, after many years on this dose, I'm looking for more. I've been offered newer stuff but have refused it after seeing my BIL deteriorate after going from it.

The way you're increasing seemed sensible to me and that's they way I did it, too.

Prozac has undoubtedly saved my life. The downside being that every time I've tried to come off it myself - however slowly and carefully - I've self-harmed and felt "those" feelings come back.

Due to pain issues, I've recently started taking Amitriptyline alongside it. I'm hoping it'll help me out a bit.

Like I said, it's saved my life. I would not be here without it. I'm terrified, though, that like they did with my Benzos (the ONLY things that have successfully helped me with sleep and anxiety issues), they'll withdraw them. Anyone else live in fear of their px being dropped when they put it in?

IWantATowel Thu 21-Mar-13 11:12:57

thanks, I'm taking 20 one day then 40 the next, then I'll take 40 every day. I still get some odd side effects but they're getting less, the paranoia and persecution feelings are becoming less too, which is exactly what I needed to happen!

Wouldn't worry about the brands being different- I used to get different ones when I was on citalopram and that was all fine. Hope it's plain sailing from now on for you smile

Dr. upped mine from 20-40 in January or Feb, I think. No extra side effects, but then I didn't really get any when I went on Prozac. Also upped to 50mg (I take it in liquid form so it's easy to do) and that was fine too.

IWantATowel Sat 16-Mar-13 09:44:59

thanks, I took two again yesterday and that was okay but when I picked up my prescription they gave me a slightly different brand so now I daren't take two in case they're stronger! not very rational I know but then that's why I'm on medication grin

Hi there, I upped my Prozac from 20 - 40 five days ago. I had much milder side effects than when I started - just some dizziness and nausea. Hope you manage to speak to your Doc and find a way of managing the increase. Good luck.

IWantATowel Tue 12-Mar-13 16:54:19

thankyou for the positive replies, I took an extra tablet yesterday and did feel some side effects, much less than when I started it but enough to make me chicken out today! I'm thinking about having one tablet one day then two the next but I need to check that out with my doc. Thanks again

GlitteryShitandDanglyBaubles Mon 11-Mar-13 16:45:37

I didn't notice any side effects whatsoever when my dose increased as yours has! Starting Prozac in the first place, now that was 'orrible, but well worth it smile

Nonky Mon 11-Mar-13 16:29:33

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I went from 20mg to 40mg daily and felt fine. I did find that my emotions (either way) were repressed a little bit more than i'd like but I think that was better than feeling out of control like I did before.

IWantATowel Mon 11-Mar-13 09:19:43

Hi, i've been on Prozac 20mg for 2 years now; it's been a life saver but recently the old symptoms of depression have returned so my Dr said I could take 40mg. I held off for a few weeks because I was worried about the side effects but after the weekend I've just had I decided to take the plunge this morning and up the dose. I'd really appreciate a heads up on what to expect from anybody who has upped their dose? The thing that scares me most is serotonin syndrome!

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now