Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

At what point do you seek help for suicidal thoughts if you know deep down you won't do it?

(26 Posts)
BloominMarvellous Thu 28-Feb-13 11:21:05

I have depression and anxiety and PTSD and lately I have been feeling overwhelmed. My anxiety is getting worse and I have fantasies about getting ill and being in hospital or from getting carbon monoxide poisioning and not waking up. The thoughts aren't distressing which makes it worse. I think about it every day but I know I don't have the guts to do anything about it. I tried a few years ago but panicked so I know I won't do it again.

So at what point do I need help if I know I can't do anything?

I am taking fluoxetine 40mg and propanalol 80mg and I'm on the waiting list to see a physcyatrist.

I think I just needed to write it down. It's been killing me. I want to scream it to somebody.

scottishmummy Mon 04-Mar-13 21:19:36

Psych liaison will assess you,take social &medical history.whats past week been like etc
Ask you about recent events,can you think of triggers,ask you symptoms you experience
It's informal assessment (by that i mean youre not detained) which they share with gp and cmht
They can make recommendations to gp and/or cmht.this will not necessarily speed things up,but it's all part of the presentation

Presenting at a&e dosent ordinarily lead to hospital admission,unless things have deteriorated and you're unwell and/or vulnerable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now