Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

MIL in care - do things usually take a while to happen?

(9 Posts)
Dothraki Wed 13-Feb-13 13:48:46

As she has deteriorated quickly it could be a stroke. The scan will help eastablish that. She could be depressed as well, as it is depressing if you don't know why your body is behaving differently.

amillionyears Wed 13-Feb-13 09:32:36

sad
Glad they are doing something now.

ticklemyboobsofsteel Wed 13-Feb-13 08:36:27

Hello all,

Well Tuesday's meeting went ahead. Aside from a mountain of incompetence (needing the answers to some basic background questions that have been covered a zillion times and that are all included in her medical records and assessments, to name but one thing; and them forgetting to tell us when she was admitted that we can actually take her out of the hospital for walks and so on, rather than MIL being stuck inside to name another), apparently the diagnosis is no longer bipolar, but extreme dementia sad

They are not 100% sure and she has a brain scan on Friday to see if there's anything else untoward. They can't explain why her mental health has deteriorated so quickly as dementia is usually more of a slow decline rather than plummeting the way she has. They thought she may have had a stroke, but they're not sure of that.

So, more tests to come...

Dothraki Sun 10-Feb-13 00:14:57

Good luck for tuesday, its still a long road, but you will always find support on here x

ticklemyboobsofsteel Sat 09-Feb-13 21:10:18

Thank you for your replies. DH corrected me earlier - she hasn't actually had her social worker meeting, it was postponed from last week and is now happening on Tuesday. Her diagnosis is bipolar, as far as he is aware.

She phoned DH again this evening, telling him the doctors are giving her the wrong medication at the wrong times. They aren't, as far as we know! He asked her if she has spoken to them and she says they don't say much, so he asked her what they did say and she couldn't/wouldn't answer. She does forget what she's been told quite a lot but I think (hope!) we'd know if she'd seen a doctor, even if she didn't remember.

If nothing changes on Tuesday (DH's sister is attending the meeting as well so can speak on behalf of her mum) then we'll look into an appointment on the ward.

It's slightly reassuring to know that these things do take time - it's reassuring for DH and the family to know that she is being monitored and looked after when we can't be there. But it must feel horrible to her to be somewhere so alien for so long with no hint of a plan or whatever.

Thank you again.

amillionyears Sat 09-Feb-13 12:09:18

I am also wondering whether your mil is confused and has actually been seen by doctors?

Dothraki Sat 09-Feb-13 11:56:30

Just a suggestion - maybe your dh and his sister should make an appointment to see someone on the ward. They will need mums permission. They need to find out if bi-polar is the actual diagnosis. Things do generally happen very slowly in hospital, so it really is one step at a time. Being sure the doctors are against her may just part of her problem. The lock on the door could just be an oversight, so it could just be that it was reported to the wrong person, or an oversight, but they should emphasise that it is adding to her distress.

amillionyears Sat 09-Feb-13 11:33:11

I dont know so am bumping this for you.
What does her social worker say?

ticklemyboobsofsteel Fri 08-Feb-13 21:51:27

Hello all - I'm not sure if I'm in the right place here, but a friend pointed me in this direction as she thought maybe someone might be able to help. I'm sorry if I ramble.

My mother-in-law is currently in the mental health wing of her local hospital, and has been for more than a month now. She's always struggled with depression and anxiety (bipolar was kicked about as a possible diagnosis recently). Her mental health has deteriorated significantly over the past 6-9 months and she has experienced 2 or 3 breakdowns where she has had extremely dark thoughts. She hears voices/music in her head sometimes. Lots of really worrying behaviours. Her meds were clashing and so were changed and changed again. She was eventually admitted when she overdosed on her meds - not as a suicide attempt, she just could not manage them herself anymore. They were in Monday to Friday blister pack but she emptied them all out and carried them around/put them in her drawer instead. She sometimes took too many or too few.

She's been in there just over a month and a grand total of nothing seems to have been done for her. They've been talking about getting her a CT scan since she arrived but its not happened. There's meant to have been meetings with her doctors - they've not happened. She's had a meeting with her social worker and that's it. Her meds haven't been reviewed. She's on the same failing medication, is as anxious as ever and in an unfamiliar place. The lock on her door doesn't work properly either, despite being reported weeks ago.

Her anxiety at the moment is through the roof. She is very repetitive and often phones DH 4 or 5 times a day asking the same set of questions. She is sure the drs are against her.

Does that sound right, do you think? I mean, I realise that there are others there who are in a much darker place who need urgent help but it just seems like nothing is happening, no matter how much prodding DH and his sister do.

Thank you so much for any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now