Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone tried mindfulness based stress reduction

(12 Posts)
Sunflower6 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:22:06

I suffer from anxiety and stress. Has anyone tried mindfulness based stress reduction and found it helpful?

There is a course running near me for £80 for 8 weeks I'm not sure whether it will be worth the investment of not . Cbt didn't help me.

kizzie Wed 06-Feb-13 17:27:26

Theres a lot of newish research which is very positive re mindfulness.
Ive got a friend who did find it very helpful - but she said you do have to put the work in. You cant just sit through the exercises and expect it to work IYSWIM.
If you can afford the £80 it could be worth a try

Waferthinmint Wed 06-Feb-13 18:17:50

I like mindfulness. I think 10 per week is worth it

floatinglotus Wed 06-Feb-13 18:26:50

Hi sunflower, I actually had an MBSR course on the NHS (amazing!) last year. I found it really useful for managing anxiety, not only the course but meditation in general which I still do. CBT doesn't help me either because it's not much use trying to change your thoughts when your emotions are all over the place- I found that mindfulness allowed me a way to get at my anxiety without being swept up in it.

In short, I think it's definitely worth it smile

larahusky Wed 06-Feb-13 20:18:22

I have recently been using relaxation/guided meditation cds. I have found them really helpful. If you can't afford the course, it might be worth trying some from the library.

Isabeller Wed 06-Feb-13 20:19:26

yes it is vg and thanks for reminding me smile

Yes mindfulness is a great idea.
It's simple can help to get a new view or reaction to things.
Mindfulness is flexible in that you can work in a physical, sensory or emotional level with it. If it is taught well you will be able to find your own way of working with mindfulness and get a lot out of it.
Let us know how it goes.
Andrew

emess Fri 08-Feb-13 19:32:29

DH is depressed and tried Mindfulness. Didn't work for him. My counsellor at the time told me that as with anything 'you have to engage with it'. So, your own approach to it is clearly important. DH doesn't seem to use the techniques taught but he has found an activity which is time consuming and requires concentration, which he says achieves what Mindfulness was meant to achieve. Hope it helps you.

Waferthinmint Fri 08-Feb-13 22:37:05

Agree with previous post. I use it to keep depression at bay and not able to use it when in the thick of an episode.

SisyphusDad Sat 09-Feb-13 23:14:12

Needs more of an answer than I've got the energy to write tonight.

Short answer is yes, yes, yes, but it's not that simple.

Will sleep think on it and expand tomorrow.

LullabyBabies Wed 27-Mar-13 10:57:09

I agree that CBT is not much use and most psychiatrists now recommend the ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) model over CBT. It differs from CBT as rather than trying to actively change your thought patterns (which is often futile) it teaches you to allow thoughts to come and go as they please and creates distance between you and them. You quickly realise that you are not your thoughts! It really works too... try this out for yourself for a couple of minutes:

Close your eyes and attempt to watch your thoughts like a cat watching a mouse hole. Don't try to stop or control them in any way. Just watch them, notice them but don't label them or get involved in them. You might be surprised at the result.

A key component in ACT is mindfulness but this is something that is quickly being turned into a cash cow and people are starting courses and charging high fees without regulation. There is a stack of credible scientific research to back up the somewhat grandiose claims of mindfulness practice but the problem is that it's being taught by people who don't really understand it themselves and who are often just looking for a quick way to make money.

I also think mindfulness needs a better PR team as it's being sold to different people as different things and not always effectively. For example, it was featured on BBC Breakfast this morning as researchers have studied the ability of mindfulness to aid relaxation in secondary school children. I couldn't help smiling to myself as I imagined someone coming into my school when I was 16, asking us to close our eyes and focus on our breathing!! Rather than selling it to school kids as a relaxation technique, I'm sure they'd have better success telling the kids that the US marines currently use mindfulness to increase their focus and concentration (which is true btw).

If you tried the exercise I described at the start of this post you may have noticed that your thoughts actually slowed down when you focussed on them? It's possible to use mindfulness to create a lot more clarity and focus in your life and to reduce the impact of unruly thoughts and emotions. This naturally reduces stress and anxiety almost as a by-product!

I think mindfulness has a great deal to offer parents and, like the Mental Health Foundation, we (at Lullaby Babies) are trying to help spread the word about mindfulness and help mums in particular to learn the core techniques. We have just started an interactive forum where mums can learn the techniques completely free (as all mindfulness teachings should be). The link is: www.lullaby-babies.co.uk/mindfulness-for-parents-and-children/

You might also want to check out the BE MINDFUL campaign run by the Mental Health Foundation and the stack of free videos on Youtube about mindfulness (start with Jon Kabat Zinn). If this doesn't work for you then at least you've saved yourself £80 on a course and you can spend it on a new hobby or activity that might give you the same rewards. If all else fails Tesco are doing a special offer right now on Yellow Tail Shiraz!!

Ahhhcrap Wed 27-Mar-13 21:25:17

Yes I've used it for anxiety and panic attacks. I found it really useful and I feel I'm finally getting a grip on my anxiety, also talking to someone, one on one has helped heaps.

I also did cbt and it did nothing for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now