Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Starting sertraline today...

(28 Posts)
London29 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:49:45

Hi everyone
I'm looking for some advice and support.
Today, after what I can only describe as an emotional/nervous breakdown I went to my GP and have been prescribed 50mg of sertraline for depression, and anxiety.

The factors - relationship problems and a stressful job. I should be happy in my life I have a good set of friends and family, a good job (although stressful) I am financially comfortable, and have a man that really cares for me - but for the last few months I have felt nothing but fear, anxiety, stress and worry.

I've taken my first tablet today and I'm just scared its going to take ages to take effect. I want it to work over night! I know that's not possible but I'm exhausted from all the worry.

I just wondered how other people are getting on taking it? Anyone with any words of support? I really need it!!!

Thank you x

MechanicalTheatre Thu 07-Feb-13 23:25:37

Poor you seaofyou that sounds scary. Suicidal thoughts do tend to happen in the first couple of weeks of taking SSRIs I think...hopefully it will settle down.

Is there any way that you can stop driving for the next while? Might be safer for you?

seaofyou Thu 07-Feb-13 23:43:15

Thanks Mechanical wish I could but half term next week and lots on for ds incl hosp appointments and having to drive 30 miles to nearest schools to visit and try ds out in mad panic as ds school closing in Julysad
Typical I get these type of urges when I really need to drive...put possibly would not have needed ADs if I didn't have to drive so far because the closure of the school has been the camels back that ADs were needed. So fed up! Might need to stop Sert I guess see how it goes? Don't want to put ds or my life at risk!

London29 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:48:41

It's day 4 on the tablets - and I feel really good. Is this the placebo effect do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now