Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Bipolar support thread?

(513 Posts)
Crawling Sun 03-Feb-13 19:04:00

Ive noticed there are quite a few of us and thought maybe a thread for us would be good. All are welcome those diagnosed and those awaiting diagnosis.

Ill start with Ive been depressed so long now I dont remember how I used to feel, yet id still prefer this to mania as the havoc I reaked last time was very painful to clean up after my episode. If I had to chart my mood today between 1-10 1 being I cant think how to make a cup of tea and 5 being good 10 being the tv is talking to me and I must go out now im about a 3 today what about you guys?

Juneywoony Wed 03-Apr-13 11:17:32

Yes please do let us know Caja how you get on and thank you for putting my mind at ease regarding weight gain.

Crawling that is a huge difference in weight from your lowest to now, i'm just under 9 stone at the moment which im unhappy about, as I'm only 5'1 i look at my best at around 8 so i'm not ridiculously overweight yet that still doesn't help me worrying about it and getting so obsessed.
I was assessed for anorexia years ago when i was an inpatient in a pysch ward as i just wasn't eating..... i dropped below 7 stone but it wasn't anything to do with me worrying about my weight, i was at one of the lowest points in my life, seriously depressed, attempts of suicide, anxiety eating away at me i couldn't sit still and kept rocking.....the thought of eating made me feel sick, i didn't want to live, nevermind eat. Thankfully i had a course of ECT which literally saved my life and pulled me out of it.

Crawling Wed 03-Apr-13 11:33:44

I understand that about not eating because you are depressed. I actually look best at 9 stone im very muscular so ive always been heavier that girls the same size IYSWIM. I would accept a stone weigh gain but I cant accept anymore that that really.

lauratheexplorer Wed 03-Apr-13 12:11:41

Can I join?

I'm going through a shitty situation right now. I'm on benefits, I have two children, we are really struggling, our debts are piling up and my anxiety is through the roof. I keep thinking my boyfriend of four years is cheating on me or thinking of other women yet he's not really given me any warning signs. It really is all in my head.

I lie to my CPN and say I'm fine as SS are lightly involved (a visit a month lately to check in) due to past episodes and I'm on medication which stop the bigger episodes. I don't trust SS and I don't feel like I can trust anyone right now. I'm just pushing on for my DC's and holding it together until bed time.

Juneywoony Wed 03-Apr-13 12:33:51

Crawling you probably know anyway but muscle weighs heavier than fat so i understand you can still look the same size as someone but weigh more. I'm with you on no more than a stone is acceptable......for one if means you have to go and buy more clothes......which is horrible having to go up a dress size or two when you have an ed.....not to mention the cost!

Sorry things are so crappy for you Laura, i hope things get better for you. I have not got any good advice I'm afraid, not in a great place myself at the moment sorry, xx

Crawling Wed 03-Apr-13 13:01:13

Laura hi and welcome I know how hard it is on benefits are you claiming dla? Or esa? I also sugget being honest with your cpn as the sooner you get meds in the more likely they are to work. If ss are involved and you ignore the warning signs and end up very ill then they will take a negative view on that. But if you show you are trying your best to avoid relapses and doing the right thing they will probably ease up.

lauratheexplorer Wed 03-Apr-13 22:48:54

I'm taking my meds so my episodes are fine but anxiety, paranoia and sleep are big issues that need fixing.

I'm going back on ESA at the psychiatrists request as I won't need to deal with signing on but I came off ESA as I got a full time job, lost it during the probation period thanks to me being generally crap and for some reason I went on to JSA rather than ESA. At the time I was just thankful for aid again. I'm pretty scared ESA will mess up all my benefits or that it will mess up due to the reform. I rely on them and its such a scary time right now for both benefits and looking for suitable work.

Crawling Thu 04-Apr-13 09:03:55

You can still have your meds increased because you are getting ill. You say you suffer anxiety I had a anti depressant added to the mix to stop anxiety maybe this is a option.

I have a emergency appointment with a different pych as mine is on leave today. Im quite nervous.

Juneywoony Thu 04-Apr-13 09:39:35

Not surprised your nervous Crawling.....they never seem to have read your notes fully and you end up having to go over so much that your normal psych would already know in my experience. It's nice to see the same person as you get used to them and vice versa........good luck today, xx

Crawling Thu 04-Apr-13 09:55:56

Thanks juney im worried he wont believe me either but on the plus side I have my first night out in 2 years tonight and im still losing weight on the new meds yay.

Juneywoony Thu 04-Apr-13 10:42:54

Hope you have a good night out, sounds like you well and truly deserve it hun, two years is a long time!
I have a hen night a week on Friday....just hoping i feel up to it, x

Crawling Thu 04-Apr-13 11:16:09

Oh lovely I hope you feel like going it can be great to have a night out. It will probably do you good.

Juneywoony Thu 04-Apr-13 13:00:09

I hope so too Crawling.

Warning pathetic rant coming up here............I'm a bit pissed off at the moment...mainly PMT but just had a visit from somebody from the crisis team as I've been seeing them whilst my Psych is away on Holiday due to stopping of med's and starting new etc.. i have mentioned up thread.

Anyway she was asking various things and then said how are relations with your MIL i gather you do not get on..........i had to think for a while as i get on fine with MIL generally yes she annoys me sometimes and me her probably but we have never had a cross word.
Then i remembered three days after med changes and after a couple of days of the shakes and constant crying we had lunch at in inlaws, some members of the team had come to see me later that day and asked how i felt and i was telling them and said i was highly irritable. I was telling them and half in a jokey way that i had had to sit through a meal where the family reminisced about a row of shops near their old house, which they have done on a few occasions....and how it's not the same anymore blah blah going on about all the types and names of the shops and who ran them.... i already knew as I've heard it all before, i just sat and listened getting quietly irritable....not their fault and i knew that.

Then as we were leaving MIL asked me what my next door neighbor's surname was SIL probably went to school with her kids....then proceed to tell me yet again and probably for about the third or fourth time that my next door used to be a drunk and used to ride her bike drunken down the road with a child on the front. Now she told me about this woman years ago before we lived here...and has decided recently that our next door neighbor is this woman...usually i just nod and say ooo that's terrible but this time i was like i really think you must be mistaken as our next door neighbor is lovely, i have never seen her drunk......her children although now all in their 30's and 40's come to see her regularly and phone her at night to check on her (she has told me) and i hear the phone go at a certain time every night. I'm totally going off track now but i MIL really pissed me off, where i would usually agree or just nod i was like no i think you have got her wrong and if she was a drunk she isn't now well not an obvious one. Did not say this in a horrible way to MIL and we didn't fall out. When i was talking to the crisis team that day i was saying it while kind of laughing at how ridiculous it was and that i knew med's were making me irritable as i wouldn't normally get irritable in this sort of situation, well maybe a little lol

But now a week and a half down the line it's written in my notes that i do not get on with my MIL, that i am pissed off about. I'm going to be so wary in the future if they can twist that, what about the actual serious things??!

Anyway i don't expect any replies about this just getting it off my chest.....and breath.......just wish my flipping period would just actually start and i may feel a little better.

Crawling Thu 04-Apr-13 16:16:00

Juney the cpns have to write it Down to get a pattern of your behaviour so they can see when your up or down.

Doctor told me to double my dose on Monday.

Crawling Thu 04-Apr-13 19:17:47

How many people here have drunk once in a blue mooln on meds? What happened?

Juneywoony Fri 05-Apr-13 07:56:51

Morning all,

How was your night out Crawling? did you have a drink? xx

Crawling Fri 05-Apr-13 08:05:08

I didnt drink I felt it was too soon on a new med. But I had a good time I got up on the karoke did 4 songs it was good fun. Thanks for asking.

Juneywoony Fri 05-Apr-13 08:32:51

Glad you had a good time, wouldn't catch me on karoke as i sound like a strangled cat lol but good on you. Your right about it being too soon with new med's and drinking......just hope i am as sensible next week......i have a bit of a problem with drink and tend to binge....go months without then let myself down.

GoddessofSuburbia Fri 05-Apr-13 14:22:33

Oh crawling, so brave to do karaoke! I used to sing in a band, but i think I'd rather eat toenails than sing in public these days! I don't really drink anymore, because I find it magnifies whatever mood I'm in at that moment. That being said, if I've been stable for more than a few weeks I'll have a little ale, or a glass of wine. I sooo know how to party these days... hmm

On other news, I'm feeling a little better, though I'm not sure whether its because I'm getting high again (af is due tomorrow, anyone else find they tend to have a blip when they're due on?) or because DP insisted on giving me zolpidem to make sure I slept well. Either way, I'm not complaining; just being grateful for even a little respite from the evils of depression. How's everyone else today?

GoddessofSuburbia Fri 05-Apr-13 14:24:38

Ah, Juney, see you answered my question before I even asked it- must read threads properly. It sucks, doesn't it?

Crawling Fri 05-Apr-13 15:19:02

Goddess im glad your feeling better. I am struggeling with withdrawal and side effects of new meds while my mood is good I feel worse worse than if I have flu.

Re karoke/singing im always amazed at dp he cant sing at all(its painful) yet he gets on karoke shock I go on but I can sing pretty good.

Crawling Sun 07-Apr-13 15:26:35

How is everyone im pretty manic doc has double my doses I have to see pychiatrist every two weeks cpn every week and talk on the phone every other day.

I hope im not sectioned. Im down to sleeping in one hour spurts ten waking up for half hour getting about 4 hours total.

Had to cut contact with mum because I feel so so angry at her I just want to hit her.

Anyone had sedatives to in addition to meds to make them sleep?

Really dont want to be sectioned.

nenevomito Sun 07-Apr-13 20:46:37

When I start going a bit bonkers, I get zopiclone 7.5mg and its great for making sure I get a reasonable amount of sleep. If I stop sleeping, things get bad quickly. Do you think they'd prescribe some for you?

As for me, I'm meh. Just meh.

nenevomito Sun 07-Apr-13 20:47:10

What's your mum done to hack you off?

Crawling Sun 07-Apr-13 21:05:10

Nothing new really I just seem to have picked her for my target sad. I will ask about zopiclone what is it? Sad that you are feeling meh.

Juneywoony Sun 07-Apr-13 21:23:19

Awww Crawling really hope the upping of the dosage kicks in and stabilises you asap!

Really feel for you with the sleeping it's just awful when it's like that, are you getting vivid dreams when you are sleeping too?.....i get that so it's not a good quality of sleep then when i wake i'm all confused and then it just repeats like that all through the night so by morning i feel dreadful.

Recently i have had Zopiclone along with clonazepam it really helped and i slept for longer chunks of time without so many weird dreams.

As for your mum (i saw the other thread) i'm not surprised you are upset at her you are doing the best thing by cutting her out for the moment, you have enough on your plate as it is.

Really hope things improve soon hun.

Babyheave Meh is a good summing up of how i feel at the mo too, xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now