Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I've always been anxious - more than hypochondria?? Help me put the pieces together

(4 Posts)
Mylittlepuds Sun 03-Feb-13 17:10:03

Bumgrapes - you sound like me. My health anxiety can go to ridiculous levels. Recently I had a lump in my armpit and I was categorically sure it was cancer (lymphoma). It wasn't - it was a cyst - but I always jump to terminal illness and death.

I have lots of anxiety problems, but only since the birth if my DS. And I think you're absolutely right - the stakes are higher.

Does it bother you. Or are you at peace with how you are?

lalabaloo Sat 02-Feb-13 22:15:44

Sorry that probably wasn't helpful at all...

lalabaloo Sat 02-Feb-13 22:15:20

I can't offer much help, except to say I have anxiety over certain situations too (not health related for me, other stuff) and I would talk to your GP. They should be able to offer you some counselling or something. I have had counselling and it helped to an extent, I don't feel like I will ever be 'fixed' though

BumgrapesofWrath Sat 02-Feb-13 22:07:31

My DH jokes that I'm a hypochondriac, in fact it's a joke with all my family.

I've been doing some thinking, and I think it's more than this.

I've been thinking back to childhood, and between the ages of about 8 and 11 I remember believing I was going to die in the night. So I'd make myself stay awake because I thought if I slept I wouldn't wake up. I thought it would be a heart attack I would die of, but even though I was young I still tried to rationalise that this couldn't possibly happen...Still didn't stop me having sleepless nights.

I would like to say at this point I had not known anyone who had died so this wasn't what had triggered this.

As I've got older I would say I have become a bit of a hypochondriac. But only an occasional one if that makes sense! My doctor wouldn't know I was one, or friends. But DH does because when I'm worried about something I tend to tell him. But I always fear the worst - death.

I don't feel neurotic, or depressed. I would say I do get anxious about other things, like I might get a bit keyed up before a social event, and when I turn up I go into hyperactive, jolly mode, and no-one would guess I was anxious. People who don't know me well believe me to be very laid-back (I am not).

I would call what I have a hypochondriac episode I suppose. i can go for months and months and feel healthy. And then I'll become obsessed with something eg after Jade Goody died I thought I had cervical cancer as I was bleeding down below, and I was convinced I'd die (as it happened it was an erosion, but it was very much worst case scenario what I was thinking).

The reason I am posting is it is getting worse since having children. Because the stakes are higher. I can't bear the thought of leaving my boys. So the thoughts have become more frequent and worse.

Bit of background - alcoholic, unpredictable father. Felt fearful of him at points in my childhood. Still think about the time he really frightened me (though I wish I didn't). I do occasionally get nightmares where my dad is going to hurt me. I wonder if this has any connection to my hypochondria.

Also, my father had a psychotic episode about 5 years ago,he was delusional and hearing voices.

Most of the time I feel quite sane, it's just I hate this anxious feeling I get sometimes and I just want to put the pieces together and try and help myself.

Sorry for the long post - I'm not even sure what I'm asking here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now