Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I went to a MH drop in centre today and found total acceptance

(6 Posts)
Unfortunatlyanxious Wed 30-Jan-13 20:17:59

I will go again, you can come and go as you please. It is free as a charity and the cafe is not for profit so very cheap, though I can't eat or drink anything touched by anyone else so can't use it.

They have social events in the evening as well though as they are in restaurants and theatres etc I would not manage that at the moment.

My friend knows I have MH issues, I know I have been hard to be around but the actual email she sent to me is not just a sorry cant do this anymore it is a totally annihilation of me and who I am as a person. It fed all my fears about being an illness and nothing else.

SnowyMouse Wed 30-Jan-13 20:11:45

That sounds great smile

MarilynValentine Wed 30-Jan-13 20:06:13

That's fantastic smile

A friendly, non-judgmental space. Sounds great.

Shakey1500 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:05:27

That's great smile

Sorry to hear about your friend, that must have been hard for you, on top of whatever else you are going through.

Will you go again? Nice to have somewhere for a bit of respite when needed. All the best

That's great-a real positive step. x Will you go again?

Unfortunatlyanxious Wed 30-Jan-13 20:03:05

After writing down on another thread about how little I left the house and scaring myself witless yesterday I forced myself to leave the house today.

I was idly googling and found out about a drop in centre in my local town. I have walked past it hundreds of times but it is not obvious what the place is.

I spoke to a lovely volunteer, they have a cafe, computers and it is just a place to chat. She also gave me lots of information leaflets.

I met another woman who has anxiety and depression like me and it was nice to talk to someone who just accepts you illness and all. We didn't just talk about being ill we chatted about pets, children and jewellery.

I have lost my closest friend who I have known for ten years because of my illness as she couldn't handle it but apparently used to love seeing me when I was fun and made her laugh. That devastated me because all she could see was my illness I was just so relieved to go somewhere I was accepted.

I'm not saying this kind of place is for everyone but it was good for me and is the first positive thing to happen to me for many weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now