Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dealing with depression without medicating

(11 Posts)
EastRogen Sun 27-Jan-13 20:00:41

It is possible to get through depression without medication. When DD was born, I had pretty bad PND and although I didn't go to my GP about it, I got through it. It took the best part of 7yrs to get to where I am today.

I'm now on AD's but for my chronic back pain, not the PND. The main reason I didn't get help for the PND was because I was scared of SS getting involved and taking DS and DD away.

If I was to become depressed again, I still wouldn't go to the GP about it.

BubblegumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 21:15:51

It just says that they offer a free confidential counselling service and gives an email address and phone number.

SnowyMouse Sat 26-Jan-13 21:13:39

They might have information on a leaflet or website about the service.

BubblegumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 21:09:37

counselling*

BubblegumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 21:08:58

Thanks, I'm trying to sort diet/exercise/sleep out. But atm it's hard to find the motivation to get dressed most days!

I have found out that my uni offer a free councelling service, so I'm trying to write an email. not really sure what to put though?

Has anyone got any advice?

Mbear Sat 26-Jan-13 16:37:45

Hi, I think I'm kinda doing this at the moment. For me I need to objectively look at how long I've really been feeling this way (hard to explain but easy for me to over dramatise and think I've been feeling awful for longer than I have, so I don't feel as bad as I think I do)

I also have to work very hard at working through my negative thoughts about situations and over catastrophising about things (one example being my friend forgot again to get my Xmas present again and I have to work very hard to get back to the reality of the situation which is they are a bit scatty - its not that they hate me, or are trying to get rid of me etc)

I have to have coping strategies at work for stress (my commute helps with wind down and I have a set routine of come in, have a shower, play with ds, have dinner etc)

A lot of it is CBT based, so it really is worth speaking to your doc about treatment options for you - ad's are one of a myriad of treatment combos, none of which you have to do. But the doc can do the depressive scale where if you keep regular visits will indicate if the treatment method is working.

Don't forget physical effects on/of depression so getting proper sleep, I find not letting my blood sugar peaking and troughing helps, and I need me time sometimes.

Good luck.

BubblegumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 16:07:41

Yes it might, I shall have a go at that, thanks smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 26-Jan-13 15:22:07

Makes complete sense but the GP should be used to that, lots of people with depression put on a very good front of being happy, would it help if you wrote stuff down to show your doctor?

BubblegumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 02:36:37

No, not for about three years.

I feel so awkward going to the GP, I almost feel that I'm faking it when I go. I suppose it's so normal to be smiley and polite at the drs that it feels wrong to be honest about how you feel, but then acting happy makes it seem as if you're not really depressed...... Does that make sense?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 26-Jan-13 02:04:19

Have you spoken to your GP? Mine was very good at giving me a weekly appointment to talk through my feelings while I was waiting for counselling to start.

BubblegumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 01:41:14

Anyone done this?

I'm currently going through a depressive period. I have had them all my life, not really sure why. Usually I spend them making stupid mistakes and being miserable, but now I am a proud mother of a delightful 2 year old and I'm working very hard to get my degree, and I really don't feel like riding this one out, I want to get better, but I'd rather not take anti-Ds if I can help it. Partly because DD is bf and also because in the past I have found the couple of weeks when first taking anti-Ds to be very difficult and not sure I would be able to parent properly.

How do you get over depression without medication? This will be the first time I have actively fought it rather than letting it take over completely. (I'm feeling quite positive atm because I have made this decision, but because I don't really know what I am doing, I'm worried I might panic left to my own devices and make things worse IYSWIM?)

Sorry for the waffle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now