Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please tell me about your experiences with bipolar disorder - I'm newly diagnosed

(9 Posts)
frillynat81 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:25:32

I wouldn't accept a diagnosis from a gp. I've been misdiagnosed prior to my correct diagnosis with bipolar 2. I'm actually borderline. Just hang on to your thoughts and speak to the psychiatrist when you see him/her.

Mitchy1nge Sun 20-Jan-13 23:06:07

here it is all looks very new and shiny (miss the old mdf a bit sad) doesn't seem to work very well on an iPad

hope you don't have too long to wait

Thank you for your posts. I hadn't realised there were so many conditions on this spectrum and I didn't realise that the GP hadn't diagnosed. blush

Mitchy I'll make a note of those courses, thanks.

Crawling Sun 20-Jan-13 16:15:28

Yep We have type 1 and 2 in the UK. type one have worse mania and psychosis types type 2 only have hypomania (lower mania) and no pychosis.

snowbanana Sun 20-Jan-13 16:15:27

When I was diagnosed 12 years ago there was no type 1 or 2. I got recently rediagnosed as "at least bipolar 2". But I have also some psychotic symptoms sometimes. I could be borderline as well. My diagnosis in not clear.

Mitchy1nge Sun 20-Jan-13 16:12:12

Was furious at the time, then had a lot of ups and downs but a mere decade or so later I'm sure nobody would ever know. Ha. I just take lithium mostly (and sometimes risperidone) but did find the MDF self management course helpful, they have rebranded as Bipolar Something. It could be worth contacting them if your psychiatrist confirms the diagnosis, don't know if they still run the courses but they have self help groups everywhere.

We don't really have types 1 and 2 in the UK do we, just bipolar affective disorder?

Crawling Sun 20-Jan-13 15:54:12

Firstly gp cant diagnose only a psychiatrist can the reason why is because many conditions are similar take bipolar 2 and borderline personality disorder very similar symptoms but different treatments so try not to get too hung up on a certain diagnosis instead accept you have a problem and the psychiatrist will treat that problem.

what the gp has done is suggest what he thinks it is. I am type 1 bipolar/scizoaffective which has type 1 episodes and episodes of schizophrenia. I don't work because find it too stressful and it triggers more episodes. But I am still finding the right doses and I am early in the medication stage I still have episodes but they are less severe with med. The med have helped me a great deal I have had two bouts of counselling. one before diagnosis one after which helped me to deal with my Dignosis. What has helped the most are the med and understanding myself.
I hope you get the help you need soon and I HTH.

snowbanana Sun 20-Jan-13 15:46:30

I have been diagnosed bipolar 2 (diagnosis has been questioned couole of times). I am not so sure about the diagnosis and have actually found it bit limiting. I do not get antidepressants alone anymore, which was problematic during pregnancy and breatsfeeding, because I did not want to take anything else that senrtraline. Also, despite the diagnosis meds did not work. Biolar 2 is very difficult to diagnose right and can be mixed with borderline personality, cyclothymia and other psychological problems. Bipolar 1 is easier to diagnose because of clear manias.

After suffering from depression, anxiety and numerous other MH nasties since childhood I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder this week. The GP said she thinks it's bipolar 2 but she's referring me to a psychiatrist for full assessment.

Having googled, I can see why she's made the diagnosis and I think it's probably the right call. But the websites I've found are very factual - here are the symptoms, here are possible treatments.

I have no idea how this is going to affect my life, if much at all. Did your life improve after diagnosis? Do you still have mad ups and downs or are you more stable now, and if so what helped? Has it affected you being able to get a job? What is your daily life like?

I have so many questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now