Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Help needed to persuade......

(6 Posts)
amillionyears Mon 07-Jan-13 22:07:09

Yeah!

Fedupnagging Mon 07-Jan-13 21:50:39

I don't think dh is keen to go back on ad's and he didn't think the counselling helped so is reluctant to go for more. This is why cbt would probably be better for him or even some life coaching.

However, he has now booked an appointment! I am very surprised (and pleased) as really thought he would continue to bury his head in the sand until the inevitable meltdown.

Thanks for your replies.

amillionyears Mon 07-Jan-13 17:38:32

Why do you think he is reluctant to go back to the GP?

Fedupnagging Mon 07-Jan-13 15:06:01

Yes, dh does have a few interests/hobbies, and as a couple and a family, we are pretty busy which helps to a certain extent.

Tbh I really think that cbt would be the best option for dh-coping strategies are what he needs to help him feel more positive about himself.

zumo Mon 07-Jan-13 06:47:56

A hobby might help chanel his thoughts into something else, if his mind is busy with things that interest him less room for negative thoughts

Fedupnagging Sun 06-Jan-13 19:33:43

Dh to get some help.

Dh has always been moody and struggles with low self esteem and self worth. He struggles when dealing with ' feelings' and situations that can be difficult - eg problems with a ds at school. All of this I would say stem from his upbringing. Interestingly though, he has a good, well paid job and is very well though of by his colleagues.

About 11yrs ago dh was signed off work for about 3 months with depression and stress-he had been horrible to live with for months and months before this but I didn't recognise the signs tbh.

6yrs ago Dh was struggling again and went back on ad's and had counselling but no time off work.

Dh is again depressed and has been IMHO for the last 12-18 months. His moods and times he is feeling very down are more and more frequent which is not great for us as a family and must be awful for him.

I have managed to discuss this a little with Dh but he is very reluctant to go back to the GP or counselling. What can I say/do to persuade him to help himself?

Sorry this is a bit long!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now