Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is citalopram always the 'go to' ad for GPs?

(10 Posts)
EbbNFlow Mon 28-Jan-13 10:36:21

I started off on citalopram but it didnt have much effect other than making me tired. I am now taking escitalopram, a slightly different make-up of the same drug, which so far is suiting me a lot better.

I think its really important to have a regular catch up with your GP and talk through your medication. Lots of people need to experiment with various different anti-d's until they find one that works for them.

poppypebble Sun 27-Jan-13 19:17:41

Citalopram was 3rd choice for my GP, first fluoxetine, then mirtazapine, then citalopram, then lofepramine followed by sertraline.

None of the buggers have worked for me, but it certainly doesn't have to be citalopram or bust.

WithanAnotE Sat 26-Jan-13 21:23:13

Flower I think Cipralex is still under manufacturer's patent - I.e. no one else is allowed to make it. Once a drug goes off patent, it becomes generically available to be made by other companies, and therefore competition drives the price down.

If you google NHS trusts around the drug choices, Citalopram and Sertraline are both ok as 'go to drugs'. They also work brilliantly for some, and rubbish for others!

Boys please take heart, there are loads of different meds available, it just may take a little trial and error to find the right one for you. Do keep pestering your GP!

VicarInaTutu Fri 25-Jan-13 21:53:07

i have never taken anything up until this last few months but my GP prescribed sertraline as the first option for me.

its for anxiety and depression.

at the beginning some of the side effects were unpleasant but wore off - one of them was fatigue and i slept alot and well.

could you try sertraline?

flowerbomb1982 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:48:45

Hi I work in a GP surgery and yes it does seem they go for Citalopram as the first line. I was prescribed this in the past and felt awful, more anxious teary and more depressed I only lasted a few days. I was so put off after that of ever trying an antidepressant again ! The next time I went back to the GP they gave me something different and its called Escitalopram (Cipralex) it couldnt have been more different I got no side effects and felt better within 2-3 weeks ! I think that when going back to the GP definately say you have already tried Citalopram and could not tolerate it at all it made you feel worse. They wont make you try it again they will give you a different one. I can only say what worked for me Cipralex, another friend could not tolerate Citalopram so GP gave Sertraline. Somebody I work with on 60mg Citalopram. So different things for different people and GPs should recognise this. They always try the cheapest drugs first eg Citalopram costs less than £1 to make 28 tabs and Cipralex is around £40 ! Even though the cost of prescription to us is £7. odd.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 03-Jan-13 21:16:32

I think prozac is quite old fashioned now - I remember being prescribed it first in 1996. There must be something new out now. It did work though - took a bloody while to get going but when it did it was effective. Worked for PND and dark, what is the point thoughts.

Venlafaxine was for when I started feeling really awful - the utter self loathing. I think that is a really old drug as well.

I have been off them completely for about a year or so.

I really hope you get something which can help you.

EightToSixer Thu 03-Jan-13 21:12:19

My GP has two go-to ADs. For anxiety - citalopram. For lowness and inability to get moving, tears, sadness etc - fluoxetine which s Prozac. If you explain your symptoms and concerns to GP then they should be able to work out what suits you.

boysarelikehogs Thu 03-Jan-13 21:08:37

Thank you GetOrf. Is Prozac quite an 'old fashioned' ad now, of still used lots? Glad you're off it all now, we'll done.

I just saw my typo in the op, meant to say I'm not right but said I'm not muddle. The irony smile

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 03-Jan-13 21:03:14

I am very sorry you feel so grim. Is there any chance you can see a less crap GP?

I have never been given citalopram - by starter AD was always prozac, and then progressed to venlafaxine when things got worse (luckily, free of the lot now). I would start by saying you really don't want citaloproam - they didn;t make you feel too good last time and the last thing you want when you are feeling depressed is the thoght of side effects.

I hope it goes well.

boysarelikehogs Thu 03-Jan-13 20:59:08

I recognise I am getting very down again and have drs appointment next week.

I have always suffered with anxiety and depression in the past, this time however I just feel depressed. No energy, disturbed sleep, flat, sad and just down. Like I can't look forward to anything. Compared to the anxiety it's a picnic but I know I'm not muddle and have felt like this for a while now.

I really want something which will help me get a restful nights sleep but not make me feel sedated. I hate the side effects of citalopram, last attempt made md feel intolerably anxious. What is the (not terribly good) gp likely to suggest or what can I ask about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now