Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Driving away

(1000 Posts)
Pumble Fri 28-Dec-12 00:52:13

I don't know where to post this and don't know what to do. I'm sitting here crying again with my 5 week old dd2 and just know that the best thing I could do for both of my girls is to get in the car and drive. If dd2 ever goes to sleep that is what I must do. I won't be leaving them alone and it will break my heart but it's what will be best for them. They deserve so much better than the useless failure of a mother they have.

I don't know why I'm posting this. I guess to feel less alone

Pumble Fri 05-Apr-13 20:26:37

Feeling utterly useless I can't settle pumblett 2

ImNotCute Fri 05-Apr-13 20:51:44

Could she be teething or ill? I'm a bit more likely to give calpol just in case if I'm having to do it all alone.

Fingers crossed she's back off soon.

Pumble Fri 05-Apr-13 20:56:57

She's quiet now - touch wood. I thought about doing calpol but she's still at that age where she tends to just spit it out so the thought of trying to do it in the dark when she's tired and beside herself filled me with dread. I wonder if it was just wind and feeling overtired from a busy afternoon but could be teething. Fingers crossed she settles for a bit now at least!

Thanks for keeping me company!

ImNotCute Fri 05-Apr-13 21:02:24

Great, hope things stay peaceful for a while. When dh is away I always get my pjs on early and am ready to hop into bed with one or both kids beside me if I have to.

I just found out he's away 2 bedtimes the week after next, grrrr. .

Pumble Fri 05-Apr-13 21:08:01

That pj idea is great - thanks for the tip!! Only 10 bedtimes to go....!

Pumble Sat 06-Apr-13 19:11:00

Really struggling with pumblett 2. I feel something's not right but can't work out what or help her. Really feel like I'm failing her and as a result failing pumblett 1. hmm

Pumble Sat 06-Apr-13 19:14:28

Sitting here sobbing as she screams. I don't know what to do. Feel so pathetic. Poor pumbletts being left with me.

Is she hot, cold, or sweaty? Hungry, thirsty?
Favourite toys missing? Nappy too tight, or wet?
Teething or achey, have you Calpol'd her?
Overtired, or napped too long earlier?

If all of the above are ok, I really can't think what else it might be, and it's just one of those evenings I'm afraid. They suck, and you just have to ride it out.
I really hope she settles soon.
DS is yelling his head off upstairs, we're still away and have moved his cot into a different room this evening - he disapproves! Off to try to settle him again.
Good luck xx.

Pumble Sat 06-Apr-13 19:25:42

Nurofened her for the first time tonight as she's coldy etc-maybe that's it? She's quiet for now and tummy did seem quite windy as I held her-not sure it will last but peace for a bit is nice!

Hope you have peace soon tiddly. Pumblett 1 wanted her bed moved tonight - maybe there is something in the water making them very particular about their bed location!! X

ImNotCute Sat 06-Apr-13 19:59:34

I hope the nurofen helps, it often does when there's something not right.

If they're both quiet now I think you've done really well! Both mine are still wide awake. If it stays quiet make sure you get some relaxation in rather than rushing around doing stuff. I bet you need a break!

Pumble Sat 06-Apr-13 20:09:23

Currently in with pumblett 1 after catching her sleep walking again. Hope yours are asleep soon imnot smile

Maybe she has a bit of an ear infection? Hope they're both settled now.
Sleep walking would confuse the heck out of me, does P1 do it often?

Just found DS asleep upright in the travel cot, face pressed up against the mesh... Hope he goes back to his normal sleeping habits when we're home, he's been awful here!

magimedi Sun 07-Apr-13 11:45:17

Hope you had a reasonable night last night.

Pumble Sun 07-Apr-13 19:49:17

Hope you got a quiet night tiddly

Sleepwalking happens from time to time but not for a while so last night a bit of a shock. She's doing ok in the day but is clearly finding night times/bedtime v hard without mr p and I think her being so unsettled is what caused last night. Am in with her now too.

Pumble Sun 07-Apr-13 20:14:11

I feel like I'm back to square one.

magimedi Sun 07-Apr-13 22:07:41

No you are not!! Just take a moment to read back to your first post on this thread & even if you feel like shit now you have so much more insight into where you are now.

Must now be 8 days until Mr P comes home - I know how tough it is, I've been there, but you can do it. You can, lovely Pumble, I know you can.

Just very big un-Mumsnetty hugs winging their way to you & the Pumblettes!

Sunnywithshowers Sun 07-Apr-13 22:16:23

I totally agree with magimedi - you have come a hell of a long way and you are doing brilliantly.

Massive, massive hugs to you xxx

Ditto - you're a changed person from your first post, seriously, give yourself some credit! It's not been easy, yet here you are, still here - all down to you and your determination to be there for your girls.
Hugs from me too xx

magimedi Mon 08-Apr-13 08:15:06

Morning, Pumble!

Just checking in to see how you are. We are all here for you. (((x)))

Pumble Mon 08-Apr-13 20:52:33

Thank you all. Just hit a low point last night I think.... Felt much happier when it came to bedtime tonight. 5 down and 7/8 to go (depending on Mr P's flight). Fingers crossed for a quiet night. Tempting to start going to bed when they do as I'm knackered but there are so many jobs that just wouldn't get done otherwise!

How is your DS's sleeping tiddly Are you back home yet?

rowrowrowtheboat Mon 08-Apr-13 22:16:17

Hi, havent really spent time on mumsnet before but have read your thread from start to finish in one go. You have done so much since Christmas and should be proud. It is so hard doing everything while DH is away, but he will be home soon. Hang on in there.

I think two things can help you, as many have said, tiredness really makes a difference so YES YES YES go to bed when they do. Secondly, eats lots of good food. Those two things can make a difference. I know you can't ignore all the jobs, but a lot can be dropped. You may even get a bigger buzz when you do get a job done while DH catches up with the children.

From your posts, and from some of your supporters posts (and my, how they have been there showing they care) it's clear you are a loving, wonderful mum whose world will be on its normal axis sooner than you think.

Agree totally with rowrowrow - go to bed as soon as you can! Even of its every other night, surely the jobs will be easier to do the next day if you're well rested?

We got home yesterday, DS's sleeping patterns are entirely up the spout, he's having trouble settling in his cot, wants to be in a big bed but isn't ready. We woke up bizarrely late today tho - 9am!! I do wonder if I just didn't hear him, my ears are still awful. blush
Hopefully all will return to normal now we're home!

Hope today went better and you're asleep already. smile x

magimedi Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:24

And I hope you don't see this message now, but are tucked up, all warm & cosy & fast asleep.

Totally agree with rowrow about sleeping whenever you can,eating well and that YOU ARE A WONDERFUL MUM!!

Oh yes you are, Pumble. Another forum I post on has a 'cheer leader' smile & I wish I could post that to you.

Go, Pumble & the Pumblettes! You can do it!

Pumble Tue 09-Apr-13 20:05:24

Thank you for the support everyone. I did get to bed in decent time last night and got a good night's sleep which is good. Today has definitely had its ups and downs though... I feel bad as I got grumpy with pumblett 1 at one point and in hind sight, I know that she was just tired. We have had lots of cuddles since then and fun so I hope we're ok. It just seemed never ending mid afternoon today, not helped by pumblett 2 refusing to sleep this afternoon!

We have seemingly got through another bedtime though (touches wood). We are getting into quite a good routine.... (well, apart from when I want to tear my hair out!)

I really hope sleep sorts itself out for your DS again soon and your ears improve v quickly tiddly I can't remember how old your DS is? How much longer before you move him into a bed?

Wylye Tue 09-Apr-13 22:47:47

'Tis I, LeClerc Tiddly! Random name change time.

Ah, glad you're feeling more capable! The afternoons can really drag tho, I think we all get to 4/5 and think "Where's the gin?"! And I don't even drink... grin
Hope tomorrow goes well, keep on keeping on!

DS is 23mo, and throws himself around a lot in his sleep, he's def not able to cope with a big bed yet, he'd be on the floor in minutes! He's just got fixated on falling asleep on me in the spare bed - since we've been ill I've been really lame and taken the easy route for everything and it's really biting me in the arse now. Ah well, we're going to be v firm this week and see if he gets the hint. <hopeful>
DH is going to make a low side for his cot with an opening for DS to get in and out, so that there's still some height to keep him in when he rolls around. Tbh tho we'll put it off as long as possible, DS is such a climber I really don't want him wandering around while we're asleep. Going to have to bolt everything to the walls, aren't we...

This thread is not accepting new messages.