Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I deal with my anxiety?

(5 Posts)
prettypurpledaisy Sun 23-Dec-12 19:53:09

I had a series of panic attacks during the school summer holiday and was prescribed Citrolopram which helped a little. I had a blood test and it determined that I was on too high a dose of thyroxine (which Dr thought was causing the attacks) I lowered my dose and came off the ads. All was well until last week when all the anxiety has come back. I have only had a few full blown panic attacks (on a station platform and driving into work) but I have felt very very anxious for the last week.
I was not comfortable being on ads so what else can I try? I am even anxious at home. Would counselling help?
Please help I feel like I am going mad.

frillynat81 Sun 23-Dec-12 23:19:18

The best thing I did for my anxiety problems was talking therapy. I also have to take medication too though, I can't do without it. You will need to speak to your GP I should think. Also, the mental health unit I went to had a physio who I did one on one sessions with and, believe it or not, they were great.

Have you tried simple things like a relaxing bubble bath to unwind? Or maybe some yoga - I did that for months and found that helped too.

Adversecalendar Sun 23-Dec-12 23:22:15

Talking therapy, especially CBT and also try deep breathing exercises. Also with panic attacks, being able to realise they are not rally harmful helps. Read the MIND website for help on this very helpful.

PackItInNow Thu 27-Dec-12 19:23:21

Anxiety attacks are based on a perceived threat, which may not be or isn't there at all. The deep breathing is usually quite good, although I was advised to take a deep breath and hold it for 10-15 seconds, then breathe out. I had to repeat it while assessing my surroundings and trying to find out what the actual threat is.

TBH it worked wonders for me and I'm not one to be calmed by anything.

I hope you find some kind of help that will teach you techniques to try and alleviate the attacks smile

Mynewmoniker Thu 27-Dec-12 19:47:14

Draw a grid on a landscape piece of A4 or similar. Draw 4 vertical lines. In the first box head it 'Worry' and write down one anxious thought. In the second box head it with a sad face then bullet point why you think this event would happen/statement is true. In the third narrow box score feeling; 5 being very anxious, 0 being no anxiety. In the forth box head it with a smile face then bullet point what evidence you have that this 'threat' won't happen/is not true. Think harder to have more bullet points in this box. In the fifth, narrow box after re-reading all grids score your feeling now. Has the score gone down. If so you are beginning to take control of your anxiety...baby steps!

Let me know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now