Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia- new thread as other was full, all welcome.

(327 Posts)
Marne Sun 23-Dec-12 13:45:56

Hope you all manage to find this smile, i just used up the last post on the other thread.

Marne Thu 07-Feb-13 15:47:41

Just picked dd1 up from school and she said she was the only one one her table in today. I am now freaking out as she had a friend over last night and he's off today sad. He seemed fine last night (ate a lot) am trying to tell myself 'its not the tummy bug' but there doesn't seem to be much else going around at the school. Dd1 says there are 50 children off (the school only has 150 children so thats a third off).

I dont need this right now (any time is bad but right now i cant cope at all).

devilinside Fri 08-Feb-13 11:00:28

sad Think it's going round our school too (not that I talk to many people) buckets in every class room and one outside the office where the sick children wait to be collected. DD off today with sore throat lurgy so that's one less to worry about

Marne Fri 08-Feb-13 11:31:17

Both of my dd's have gone in today, spoke to dd's TA and she said only 2 children in dd2's class have been off and only one conformed as having a tummy bug. I just hope the child who came to our house is not off with it, dd1 felt poorly last night but I think she's just anxious as she's worried she will get the bug. Lets hope the worst of it is over and after the weekend it will settle down, one week left until half term here.

roundabout1 Fri 08-Feb-13 15:06:56

marne - At least its not fife in your dd2's class, fingers crossed your dd1 will be fine. 5 more school days after today then a week off - yay!

bb - oh no at the sick children, hope you manage to stay free of it. Roll on summer!

devil- our school always seems to have buckets around in anticipation! Hope your dd gets better

Marne Fri 08-Feb-13 16:27:36

So pleased its friday grin (we made it through another week).

Went to pick dd2 up at lunch time (she did a half day) and a parent had been called in to pick up her child who was complaining of feeling sick, apparently she had the bug a few days ago and hadn't fully recovered (nice of her mum to send her back to school), the main outbreak seems to be in class 5/6 and r/1 (not my dd's classes although a lot have been off in dd1s class it seems to have calmed down a little), dd1's friend (the boy who came to our house) was back today and said he was off because he felt hot and had a tummy ache but he wasnt sick <few>.

corblimeymadam Fri 08-Feb-13 21:31:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Sat 09-Feb-13 13:38:58

Help sad

St in dd1's room with her holding the bucket, she's had tummy ache all day and not eaten much, she starte wretching 20 minutes ago but not been sick (yet), i am a mess, trying to hold it together, dd1 is very anxious, i feel guilty for giving her this phobia sad. I'm not feeling well either, i hope its just the chest cough/infection i have.

Please sent non-vomiting vibes to us. I dont think we are going to get away with it this time sad.

corblimeymadam Sat 09-Feb-13 14:05:28

corblimeymadam Sat 09-Feb-13 14:06:04

corblimeymadam Sat 09-Feb-13 15:51:40

Marne Sat 09-Feb-13 16:47:49

Well we had an hour of bucket hugging, pale, shaking and a little bit of wretching sad, poor thing was so upset as her tummy was hurting and she felt very sick, after lots of cuddles and reasurance (god it was hard) oh and 2 Harry Potter DVD's she now seems ok and has even asked for something to eat, i have told her to wait a while just to make sure tummy ache doesnt come back (plusw it makes it easier for me to handle if she is sick with just drink in her tummy). She's now in her room on her own whilst i have a 20 minute break. Dreading tonight though as if she is sick its always at night (appart from last time when she was only sick once) sad.

Keep sending your good vibes (i think they are working).

Dh was great and drove all the way to boots to get me more domperidone tablets so i now have 2 boxes.

She's now shouting down for food, what can i feed her that wont upset her tummy?

corblimeymadam Sat 09-Feb-13 16:58:09

Marne Sat 09-Feb-13 17:22:51

Thank you, i dont feel like i'm doing great, i have gone into 'shut down mode', not eating and lounging around in my dressing gown (my get up and go has gone) but i'm not shaking and i'm trying not to let dd1 see that i am freaking out inside. I just hope dd2 does not get it, i think dd1 can now stop herself from being sick (like most of us on here can) but if dd2 gets it she gets it bad and is not good at getting it in the bucket (due to her ASD). I hope if dd1 is not sick then it wont be as contagious?

I have given her half a piece of toast and she drinking lots (would not even drink this morning so she must be feeling a little better).

Thank you so much for being here, couldn't get through it without you lot smile.

corblimeymadam Sat 09-Feb-13 18:06:09

roundabout1 Sat 09-Feb-13 18:12:49

marne - oh no sorry your dd1 is poorly. Sounds like you have been doing great though. Fingers crossed she is ok now & that dd2 doesn't get it

Marne Sat 09-Feb-13 19:36:20

Thank you, she's had a little bit more toast so seems much better. Quite a few of her friends have had it this week but most were only sick once or just had bad tummy ache unlike the kids in the year above that were very sick. Do you think it depends on how badly the person you caught it off suffered? I'm hoping this means if we get it we won't be very poorly (wishful thinking).

Marne Sun 10-Feb-13 11:21:47

update: dd1 slept all night and other than having a bad cough and a sore throat (from wretching) she seems much better, she's sent me out to buy some sausages for lunch smile

corblimeymadam Sun 10-Feb-13 13:41:14

alexle Sun 10-Feb-13 19:34:44

Hello everyone
Hope you're all o.k. Sorry to hear your daughter has been ill Marne. It sounds like you managed brilliantly though. I don't think I could hold a bowl and offer so much comfort (much to my shame). I hope she's feeling better now and the rest of the family have escaped.

My little boy was sick this morning hmm. Nothing since, (touch wood), but he hasn't had much to eat today and looks really pale. My husband is home, thank god, but I've been really anxious all day. It's such an awful, overwhelming feeling. I hate this!

Ax

Marne Sun 10-Feb-13 21:14:25

Sorry your going through this too. Dd1 still isn't right, no more wrenching but still very pale and not eating much, going to keep her home tomorrow and maybe take her to the gp to check her chest is clear. I just hope dd2 does not come down with it.

alexle Mon 11-Feb-13 09:02:49

Hi Marne.
Hope she's feeling better today. Perhaps it is the phlegm that's making her retch and not feel hungry. I'm sure that she would have been sick by now if she was going to be. It sounds like you have done really well looking after her too.

My little boy seems loads brighter today and has gone to nursery. I didn't get much sleep, (as I'm sure you can imagine). I just find my confidence in looking after him takes a knock every time this happens. I can't stop replaying it all in mind.

Fingers crossed for a better day all round. Axx

Marne Mon 11-Feb-13 09:15:21

Glad your little boy is feeling better, dd1 is home today as coughing all night and moaning about tummy ache (maybe pulled muscle from coughing?), i woke up with tummy ache but i dont feel sick (just fluey with this cold).

corblimeymadam Mon 11-Feb-13 19:43:44

pinky27 Mon 18-Feb-13 20:51:03

Hi - new to this thread - THANKS VERY MUCH to everyone who has posted on here - think it's very important that we all support each other through this debilitating phobia and the more people talk about it, the more might be done to help! Have suffered with emetophobia for 22 years and it got significantly worse once i had my daughter 2 years ago - nearly ended up hospitalised because I stopped eating and was obsessively cleaning the house because I was soo frightened that would become ill. Have tried hynotherapy, CBT, psychologist, self-help manuals and CD's - the best was CBT and helped me to challenge my thinking but unfortunately I'm still not "Phobia free". A good book to read is "Overcoming health anxiety" - it has a chapter on emetophobia and is written by David Veale who is a leading professional on emetophobia and has a clinic in London. Also, there is a blog http://lilandbody.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/coping-techniques-from-to-z.html - this is written by a woman who has emetophobi and has some good tips.
Also, anxiety UK has some information and leaflets about emetophobia - I am a member of anxiety UK and am now in-touch with some other people who suffer from this.
Take care
xxx

devilinside Sun 24-Feb-13 13:05:14

Shit, shit, shit. DS has norovirus, I can deal with it, happened in the night, so taken by surprise (no time to get panicky) Now, I clean so thoroughly (with gloves) it usually doesn't spread around, but DD has wiped her hands this morning on a towel which has 'V' on it, DS must have gone into the bathroom at some point. I didn't see the damn towel (beating myself up) So now I have two days of torture to look forward to sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now