Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia- new thread as other was full, all welcome.

(327 Posts)
Marne Sun 23-Dec-12 13:45:56

Hope you all manage to find this smile, i just used up the last post on the other thread.

spacechimp Wed 30-Jan-13 09:14:40

Hello,

Hope everyone is ok. I watched some of the programme, but not the bit with the mannequin! Also hope some people learnt from it, but freaking out a bit this morning as a work colleague has come into work 'feeling sick'. He looks awful and sits right behind me in a shared office, so am feeling v. anxious now. Apparently he wasn't feeling well yesterday either and thinks it's something he ate. Trying to rationalise that if it was noro he would know about it by now

spacechimp Wed 30-Jan-13 11:20:05

It's worse than I thought, as apparently work colleague was v* last night. Why do people come into work when they're obviously not well? It's so selfish

spacechimp Thu 31-Jan-13 08:38:04

Is anyone around? I'm feeling annoyed with myself - got very stressed about the prospect of work and my IBS has flared up, combined with bad period pain and lack of sleep so have ended up calling in sick today. I know this is subconsciously avoiding work colleague so now feeling very guilty and know I should have made myself go in. Hopefully I will be able to go back tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing ok - it is nearly the end of Jan - only a couple more months to go...

Marne Thu 31-Jan-13 09:48:10

<hugs spacechimp>

I think I would have done the same though, I know we should staY strong and face it but sometimes it's a lot easier to avoid.

spacechimp Thu 31-Jan-13 11:01:07

thanks Marne - I know it is not helpful in general to avoid but just don't feel strong enough today. I have to be at an external work thing all day on Saturday so need to feel better for that. Had email from friend at work to say ill colleague is still ill but at work again today tho has had to be taken off rota so obviously still having symptoms angry so feel glad I am not there. Person concerned will not be working tomorrow anyway so hope I can face going in then but not use toilet and be careful with door handles etc

corblimeymadam Fri 01-Feb-13 02:00:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

devilinside Fri 01-Feb-13 22:41:11

Just posted this in chat, anyone around?

Am in a total panic as DS (asd) has just eaten 2 day old crab sticks (just one I think, the rest were shredded and strewn over the carpet) that unbeknown to me, he has been hoarding in his room.

The central heating has been on, but his room is pretty cold. I am terrified he'll get food poisoning (I'm also an emetophobe) Help

Hello. We've been beset by a weird lurgie all week. Firstly DS1: it seems to be a cold with an element of upset stomach. Then DS2 (mainly cold but no appetite) then me (I felt sick all day yesterday, had the other end once yesterday and today) and now DS3. DH is the only escapee so far. my question is can you get a cold that comes with stomach upset? Or am I imagining the extra symptoms? DS1 was sick once on Monday and had the other end once on Tuesday. DS2 hasn't had any notifiable stomach issues. Mine I've described. I just want to know if this is normal. I've never had a cold with upset stomach before. Sat here feeling sorry for myself sad so glad DH is ok.

PS Devilinside how is your DS today? Hope he's ok.

Meant to add to my symptoms: snotty nose, cough, sneezing (i.e. regular cold symptoms).

roundabout1 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:48:27

devil - how is your ds?

becky - there are bad flu viruses going round that have a stomach problems with too so I suppose you could have a mild form of that.

devilinside Sun 03-Feb-13 14:07:14

Thanks for asking, DS survived the crab stick incident with to ill-effects. I suspect they are mainly cereal and additives so probably not a prime hang-out for bacteria.

Anyway, as one crisis ends another begins. I found out his school friend had norovirus on Thurs night. I realise DS would probably be showing signs by now, I'm scared the friend will be back at school tomorrow and not be fully free of symptoms (the 'D' can last a few days)

devilinside Sun 03-Feb-13 14:09:39

Becky, Swine flu was renowned for causing stomach issues as well as cold and flu symptoms (sometimes little more than a sniffle). I strongly suspect it is still going around, although the medical profession don't acutally mention swine flu anymore.

I still feel crap. I feel shivery and achy. We had to go to 'in-laws for Sunday dinner today and after dinner I went to bed for 1.5 hours and DS1 did as well next to me! Sat here feeling really sorry for myself. My stomach is mostly ok, a bit unsettled but generally ok. Just feeling really sorry for myself. Now DH is sneezing and snotting everywhere but he doesn't feel fluey yet.

I find being a mum when ill so, so hard and I think that for me that is where my phobia comes from. I'm really scared of not being able to look after them.

Devilinside glad your DS was ok. DS2's best friend was off 2.5 weeks with norovirus recently. As far as I know nobody else in his class has had it, touching big wooden table.

Marne Mon 04-Feb-13 10:51:26

Panicking here, dd2 refused to go to school this morning (long story) so I took dd1 in and went to see the SENCO to tell her about dd2 but she was off sick, asked to speak to the head and she tells me 4 of the staff are of with d&v, anyway she then sends the TA to my house to speak to dd2, after half an hour of being here she tells me both of her kids are at home with the bug. I am now scrubbing everything she may have touched and am now worried we will be ill for dd1s birthday in we'd.

spacechimp Mon 04-Feb-13 15:29:47

Oh no Marne, that's really not what you need. At least you know what the TA touched or didn't touch in your house and can take action as needed. Really hope you all stay well.

After my panic about work colleague last week, I arrived at the day long work related event I had to attend on Saturday to find out that one of the other speakers had been off work the previous day with a 'sickness bug' along with others in her office, but that she was coming to the event shock. At least I was no longer stressed about my presentation, just about trying to avoid catching noro.

kerstina Mon 04-Feb-13 21:36:22

I thought I had got better lately not thinking about it too much but there have been more facebook updates about sickness so it is still going around here. Also their was loads of sick on the pavement when I was doing the school run and it was really windy so have been getting paranoid that we could have inhaled the viruse as we walked past! See how bad I am and how my mind works! I need to get a grip.

Marne Tue 05-Feb-13 07:43:32

Woke up feeling rough, tummy ache and feeling yuk, have taken a tablet. I'm hoping its just this cough thing I have, maybe a chest infection rather than the tummy bug. Am trying not to panic but anxious as dd's TA gave me a hug yesterday before she told me her dd's have the bug. Just need to stay healthy for dd1's birthday tomorrow.

roundabout1 Tue 05-Feb-13 10:25:09

marne - I bet you are feeling rough after the stress of yesterday, it sounds like it may have been stressful enough let alone with the emet phobia problem too. If its any consolation I am feeling yuk too, dd2 has a cold & I just feel like I'm getting it, sneezing a bit achey but no actual cold. Have had stomach ache & bloating too the last few days although had the stressful week from hell last week so it could be connected to that. Also sinus pain & a bit of a cough, wondering if its alurgy going round. Fingers crossed you will all be well for dd1's birthday tomorrow

Marne Tue 05-Feb-13 13:29:56

Thank you, feeling a bit better other than this hacking cough. Managed to make a start on dd1s birthday cake, dd2 did half a day at school today and was with her TA all morning so I'm still a little anxious about getting the bug, a lot of talk of sickness in the playground this morning too but the school sent out a message yesterday to remind everyone of the 48 hour rule.

corblimeymadam Tue 05-Feb-13 20:19:57

roundabout1 Wed 06-Feb-13 10:02:45

marne - hope your dd has a great birthday & you are all bug free. I am stressing about it even though I know of no one that has got it round here - seems to be lots of bad coughs & chesty bugs though. My stomach is so sore & am all bloated but am sure its from stressing about this & a 1001 other things kicking off right now. Wish I didn't have to worry about this thing too!

Marne Wed 06-Feb-13 11:26:17

belgian- we are down south (Dorset), most of the schools here had it before christmas but ours didn't (though a couple kids in dd2s class had it but no major outbreak).

Dd2 hasnt gone in today, she's refusing school and had a high temp (but seems fine), i went into school to tell them and they said 'there are people off in all classes with d&v'. Not sure if its noro though as people seem to be recovering quickly, a boy in dd2's class was sick on sat and was fine the next day, his little sister came down with it yesterday (was violently sick once) and is fine today but TA's children were ill for a couple days. Just hope we dont come down with it. Was excited thinking it was half term next week but then i was told 'its not until the week after' sad so another week to get through.

corblimeymadam Thu 07-Feb-13 13:45:08

Marne Thu 07-Feb-13 14:10:39

oh no sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now