Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Emetophobia- new thread as other was full, all welcome.

(327 Posts)
Marne Sun 23-Dec-12 13:45:56

Hope you all manage to find this smile, i just used up the last post on the other thread.

spacechimp Tue 08-Jan-13 17:10:17

bb - that's horrible, but I suppose better to know about colleague than not know. Every morning I dread hearing that someone has called in sick, and then try to find out what's wrong with them. So far we haven't had anyone off with v* this winter, but I fear that it's only a matter of time. Once that happens I find it very stressful at work as we work with shared computers and there are so many door handles to negotiate all day, and that's without having to use the unisex toilets sad

marne - hope all went ok with going to see the puppy, and that dd's TA does stay at home until no longer contagious. I never used to think about implications of going to other people's houses, but this year has been terrible. We had to visit a couple of sets of dh's relatives over Christmas and I felt like I was playing roulette with each one

lofty - I have had dodgy guts for as long as I can remember - linked to stress and later confirmed as IBS. When I am anxious I often get d* and so it has lost a lot of its fear for me. I don't like it, and as roundabout says it's the lack of control and fear of it happening when out in social situations. I suppose because I have had d* so much, though mostly not with a bug, it doesn't hold the same fear for me as v*.

Thinking about it, it's really just noro that scares the hell out of me because it's so violent. If there was a d&v bug going round that just involved v* a couple of times I don't think I would be so terrified. If only we could get the vaccine now! I'm living my daily life, but am on guard all the time, and it's so tiring

corblimeymadam Tue 08-Jan-13 19:24:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Tue 08-Jan-13 19:46:27

Spoke to dd's TA after school (she was picking her other dd up) and she plans on being back tomorrow, i am hoping that she wont have too much contact with dd2 in the few hours she's there. Last time her dd had a bug she came into work and 5 kids came down with d&v a few days later (luckily dd2 was off with a cold).

I dred it happening but in another way i would rather it would happen soon so i can relax a little (the dd's dont tend to get tummy bugs more than once a year).

Apparently theres a chance the uk will be hit by snow (from this weekend onwards) so keeping my fingers crossed that school will have to close for a few days (so we can stay indoors where its safe from bugs).

Puppy visit went well, house was very dirty (full of dogs/rescue dogs), they asked if i would like a cup of tea and i refused, i came home and washed my hands a few times before dashing off to do the school run.

Marne Wed 09-Jan-13 16:57:35

Hear on the radio just now that its a new strain of norovirus which has effected so many over christmas, apparently is called 'sidney 2012'.

corblimeymadam Wed 09-Jan-13 18:26:31

corblimeymadam Wed 09-Jan-13 18:27:11

Marne Wed 09-Jan-13 19:25:23

Thats not as bad then BB smile

Do you think maybe there are the 2 strains out there so maybe the normal strain is no worse than most years and the 63% is the other strain (if that makes any sense).

I'm still extra anxious because of dd2's TA being at school today after cleaning up her dd's v. Have bathed dd2 and put her clothes in the was sad, i hope to god we dont get it.

Went into town today and the daffodil's are flowering alreadys, the first signs of spring (and the end of noro season), sadly i think winter is going to hit next week sad.

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Sat 12-Jan-13 16:36:54

Hello everyone, I hope you are all calm and healthy.

My bank balance has just taken a severe knock as I discovered this and have spent almost £60 on cleaning products shock

I had a thread in general health recently as I have been suffering with an unknown virus. I've had extreme fatigue, body aches, a slight fever and diarrhoea sad My stomach really hurt and I was petrified but wasn't s*. Someone suggested I had noro but I don't think it was, I think it was a viral thing with diarrhoea thrown in from IBS linked to stress iyswim.

I hate to cause a downer for everyone but I think the drop in cases happens at this time every year because of Christmas and NY, the HPA page says it expects case numbers to rise again sad

Marne I am the same as you in that as soon as I see daffodils etc I get sort of excited as I start thinking about spring and the end of noro season. Funny how these things can really affect your mental health!

Marne Sat 12-Jan-13 20:00:43

IsOk- i agree, cases will probably go up again as schools are now back, i am hoping we get tons of snow, enough to keep everyone indoors for a week to stop noro spreading (but this is the uk so not very likely).

Dd2's TA came back for 1 day (after her dd having d&v) and was then off for the rest of the week, so i spent all week panicking that TA might have caught it and could have passed it on to dd2 but so far she's fine. Chances are her other dd got it which will mean she will probably bring it back to school with her monday (her younger daughter goes to the school), i hope there isn't a outbreak sad.

Will be so glad when spring is here (counting down the days).

nickinoo Sun 13-Jan-13 00:19:44

Panic for me tonight, my 5 year old woke at 9pm and again at11.30 to go to the loo where she had diarrohea.

Popped her in my bed for a while as she was complaining of tummy pains which seemed to go after 10 or so mins and she laid quite happily watching match of the day with H. I have just put her back in her own bed and am terrified she is going to V next. I am never going to sleep tonight. Ugh I hate being me.

Marne Sun 13-Jan-13 09:25:47

Hope all is ok nickinoo and it was only D, its the not knowing thats the killer. it would be a lot easier if we knew what would happen (if they were going to V) then we can be ready.

I have woken up with bad tummy ache, am hoping its nothing (maybe ovulation pains) sad

CoffeeBucks Sun 13-Jan-13 13:45:34

Just checking in, have been lurking for a while but going back to work last week has made me more paranoid (bus travel, an office of 15 people whose hand washing I can't police, etc...) so it's good to get some support smile I woke up with aches and pains this morning & was panicking a bit, but yesterday I went on the first long run I've done since before Xmas, it's much more likely to be that!

nickinoo Sun 13-Jan-13 19:35:48

Thankfully all was ok, she woke up fine.

gah! I drive myself bonkers let alone my DH. It doesnt help that due to being 18 weeks pregnant the drs took me off my low dose (10mg) of citalopram for anxiety relating to emetophobia. It really did make such a difference.

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Sun 13-Jan-13 21:04:21

Glad to hear she's okay nickinoo, I hate that when you just don't know. So sorry to hear about the ADs, isn't there one you can take through pg?

Hello Coffee, you're brave going running, it's freezing here!! I think exercise is a fab way to burn off the adrenaline that our bodies seem to love producing and making us anxious (if that makes sense!). Remember that although you can't control other people's behaviour you are in charge of what you do so you can kill those nasty germs as much as you like.

Marne how are you? Really hope your tummy ache is over, I get ovulation pain and it can be really bad. Hope you've had a relaxing day with a hot water bottle.

I am worried about ds, he's had bowel problems since weaning and has to take a lot of laxatives in order for him to go. Today he has had 5 bouts of diarrhoea and it could be because I've been told to up the amount of meds but, then again, he could have a stomach virus and I'm so anxious tonight, waiting for him to wake up and be s* sad

corblimeymadam Sun 13-Jan-13 21:17:06

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Sun 13-Jan-13 21:21:53

Thanks belgian, you are absolutely right, if he does have one it has to be what I've just had so logically can't pass it back wish stupid head would understand that!

I like the positivity of your post, only 6 and a bit weeks until March, woo hoo grin

Marne Sun 13-Jan-13 21:55:10

4 weeks grin i had been to scared to look incase it was 5+ weeks.

I feel much better, just a bit bloated, i think it was ovulation pain, was low down to one side, i get it every month and i still get anxious thinking its a bug sad.

corblimeymadam Tue 15-Jan-13 20:29:06

roundabout1 Tue 15-Jan-13 21:11:11

Thanks BB I have 3 kids hospital appointments over the next two weeks & dreading going & picking it up. I'm trying to be positive.

corblimeymadam Tue 15-Jan-13 21:19:00

roundabout1 Wed 16-Jan-13 10:21:24

BB - Thanks for the reassurance. Hope your dd is ok & it wasn't anything too serious

Marne Wed 16-Jan-13 12:33:30

Hi all, have been keeping busy with new puppy and hardly thought about noro (ok well i have thought about it but not quite as much), the village just down the road from us seem to have quite a few people with noro symptoms (from reading posts on fb). I am still hoping we get lots of snow so people stop going out for a few days.

In a way i am pleased it hasn't been on the news for a few weeks but on the other hand it would be great to hear them say 'noro cases have dropped over the past 2 weeks and the worst is over with' smile, we just have to look at it as 'no news is good news'.

corblimeymadam Wed 16-Jan-13 12:57:58

florry88 Fri 18-Jan-13 12:26:03

hello Ive been about in the past .

Just wonder does anyone take seroxat and does it help with emmetophobia!??

I cant bring myself to take them incase I feel sick! My anxiety over norovirus got really bad mid dec and I went to my Gp who suggested I try it.

florry88 Fri 18-Jan-13 12:27:28

hello Ive been about in the past .

Just wonder does anyone take seroxat and does it help with emmetophobia!??

I cant bring myself to take them incase I feel sick! My anxiety over norovirus got really bad mid dec and I went to my Gp who suggested I try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now