Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia- new thread as other was full, all welcome.

(327 Posts)
Marne Sun 23-Dec-12 13:45:56

Hope you all manage to find this smile, i just used up the last post on the other thread.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Mon 24-Dec-12 06:31:03

Hi gingerbread

Marne so glad you made it through the night, we did good here to smile, ad no more school to worry about for a while!

corblimeymadam Tue 25-Dec-12 01:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Wed 26-Dec-12 00:42:20

Hope everyone had a great Xmas

Dd was sick again about half 9, luckily (sort of) my step dad and grandad cleared it up. My mum has cream carpets I had no idea how I'd be able to get it out of a carpet but they just took over. So glad it's not my house not my room bot me that cleaned it up and there's 2 bathrooms at my mums. She's also sleeping in the same room as my mum and stepdad so I don't even need to be near her to tonight (how awful that sounds)

Am really puzzled about what has caused this all, thinking of taking her to the drs. Am dreading having to clear it up again in a couple days time if it keeps happening and it doesn't seem like a bug.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Wed 26-Dec-12 00:44:09

Shit now The thought of what if I'm sick at my mums in my sleep while I'm in the living room.

Should I cancel guests tomorrow to?

reastie Wed 26-Dec-12 07:07:50

Inneed sad what a rubbish end to your christmas. Does your DD seem OK in herself other than the sickness? Is she eating normally? How old is she? that's alot of questions If she seems fine and normal in herself it could have yesterday been rich food or the excitement of christmas? I'm sure you'll be OK and I really doubt you'd be sick whilst asleep. Re: guests tomorrow, personally I'd hate to go to someones house whose DD has been sick the evening before, it would send me into anxious hyperdrive and I would wish if I were going to your house you would have cancelled. But, I'm emet so my reaction is different to 'normal'. If you think your DD might have a bug and be contagious I'd say cancel personally. Or just ring them up and tell them what happened and give them the choice, that's probably the best thing as then it's up to them. Hope you're coping OK.

Christmas here was nice. My Grandad died a couple of days ago so it was quite sad really. I woke up and not sure if I nearly fainted or nearly had a panic attack but felt really sweaty/clammy and sick suddenly and thought I might be sick. Took a motilium and lay down for a while and felt better thank goodness. I think it's down to the upset of GD.

Right, today we are off to the ILs and their family and I'm really worried the family will have had a tummy bug and infect us. They aren't bothered about illness like me and always seem to be ill confused .

InNeedOfBrandyButter Wed 26-Dec-12 09:07:46

She seems fine in herself just like last time. She's 7 and she's been eating normally. She did stuff herself with Pringles right before bed and had tea to.

I for some strange reason am not that bothered, normally I'd be washing my hands a million times anD not wanting to be in the same room as her. For some reason I feel fine, apart from a few mini wake up in the night sick feeling which as soon as I start breathing I'm fine.

My nan doesn't get bothered in the slightest over catching bugs so I know she will still want to come. I am going to ring and tell everyone and if they come that's up to them. Would quite like it if they all didn't tbh.

Not sure what to do about dd as she's fine again now and running about and wanting breakfast.

roundabout1 Wed 26-Dec-12 16:27:50

in need - sorry about your dd & the added worry & stress for you. I hope she is ok now, wanting to eat is a good sign. I do think kids cant judge how much to eat and when there are pringles & chocolates as well as the big meal she could well have many herself ill through eating too much & over excitement, I hope this is what caused it.

reastie - sorry about your grandad, that on top of all the usual Christmas stress as well as the emet stress will be bound to make you feel poorly. Hoep you have a good day today.

Our festivities have been a bit rubbish tbh, I am feeling really bad with this cold/flu thing & we have had lots of family stress over the last few days. The kids loved their presents though although have behaved awfully today!

stef06 Thu 27-Dec-12 11:53:13

Was up in the middle of the night having nightmares about 'v' I hate this phobia. My son goes upto Scotland for a week tommorow and I was going to take him toys 'r' us today to spend his Xmas voucher but I'm scared if I go he might catch it after seeing other people posts on fb about having it Xmas night and Boxing Day thinking of all the people going shopping etc. am also worried about by son getting it at service stations etc and bringing it home with him by which time my dp will be back at work I'm so scared right now but don't want to ruin my last day with my son! Should I take him to the shop as promised or not?

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Thu 27-Dec-12 12:34:19

Hello everyone <waves to reastie!>

Can I please join you?

Have had emetophobia since approx the age of 3 and it completely rules my life. Have seen numerous professionals and had tonnes of therapy but still the same (except I can say bucket and the number 6 confused).

Really feel for those of you going through tough times atm, stay strong, it will pass and you'll have some immunity for a few months after.

Belgian I have just ordered the kit and gel, thank you for the link!

I've had such a stressful christmas, haven't been able to eat properly since XOH left at the beginning of Nov, we have 22 month ds who is my world but also the most anxiety provoking thing I've ever been through; I still go to bed scared that he'll be 'ill' in the night.

I have now lost over a stone in the past month and scared because I feel so nauseated all the time that I can't eat sad

Anyway, sorry for the massive moan. I'm doing dinner for family today which I won't eat and they'll be worried etc but I can't change it.

reastie Thu 27-Dec-12 18:35:36

<waves to ItsOK > a stone since November? shock but there's nothing of you anyway! Hope the dinner went OK and leaving DS was as alright as it can be.

I think one of my friends thinks I'm a bit insane blush . I'm due to see her and her DS tomorrow and sent her an email saying I was still looking forward to seeing her but just to check they are all healthy and made up some excuse about DD and not wanting her to get ill again. She hasn't replied hmm . I'm just so scared somehow they will have had noro and we will go to their house into potential noro germs. I'd say about 50% of the time DD sees this friend she ends out getting a bug from him (as he always seems to be ill) but so far just cold based ones. Hopefully she will be all healthy and won't think I'm too crazy blush

Stef I was having v dreams last night too sad . What did you do re: the shopping?

InNeed I hope your DC is all fine now still and things went well yesterday.

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Thu 27-Dec-12 19:10:29

Oh reastie, I'm sure she doesn't think you're insane! She's probably just busy with christmassy stuff. Try not to worry (I know, impossible), DD's immune system must have had a bit of a boost recently from her cold so it could make her more resilient fx.

I have started a fred in chat about the weight thing as getting comments now and it worries me. All i managed today was a ryvita and that was so that my prozac didn't give me heartburn. I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa when the emet was severe in my 20's (I weighed 5stone 7) but it wasn't that I wanted to be thin, I just didn't want to eat because I was frightened about having stuff in my stomach.

I hate v dreams; they are so horrid. It's like your mind is torturing you, so sorry sad

funkypigeon Thu 27-Dec-12 19:43:02

Hi, can I join? I've had this awful phobia since I was a child, but it's become worse since I had the kids. I just torture myself with irrational fears about v mostly all the time, more so of course during the winter. If I could escape from it all I would!

I'm constantly on at the children to wash their hands well, and if I've heard someone has had D&V I just go into meltdown and become dysfunctional. I hate it- wish I could get better. I try to 'fake it until I make it' with regards my children- ie I put on this calm exterior when they do get sick but inside I'm crying and feeling so, so alone and scared. I did get some CBT recently, but unfortunately had to be discharged because of my work schedule and the appointment times always clashed (I work shifts).

I'm also a single mum, so I don't have anyone else to carry the burden with during these long winter months, that seem to go on forever.

I'm ok these days with the odd vomit (my youngest is chronically asthmatic so vomits when he's coughing badly), it's just the dread of noro that frightens the life out of me. Why am I so scared? What is it? If I could only get to the bottom of why it is I get so, so debilitated from it.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 19:48:57

Thanks for the hand holding! Really appreciate it! Dd is fine sure it was over excitement because she's not acted at all ill.

4 more months everybody!

Marne Thu 27-Dec-12 20:04:45

Hi, have tried to stay away over christmas as trying to take my mind off V and trying to relax a little. Today was our last busy day (visiting family) and now we are a almost a week into the christmas holidays i am starting to panic about the kids returning to school, there has been no major d&v outbreaks at our school yet so i know its only a matter of time (as it seems to happen at some point every year), i so wish i could keep them at home for the winter, i wish it would snow lots so the schools have to close sad.

We dont have much planed for the rest of the holidays but the dd's will want a trip to toys r us to spend their christmas money next week, luckily they are not keen on shopping so will decide what they want before we go so its a quick 'in, grab what they want, pay and go' followed by washing hands.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 20:07:40

Does the cold kill the bug off or is that just an old wives tale.

Marne Thu 27-Dec-12 20:41:08

Sadly i think its an old wives tale sad, you are more likely to get ill when its cold (which is why noro is rife in the winter), noro is hard to kill with very high or very low temps (so they said on the news). sad

devilinside Fri 28-Dec-12 11:27:07

Hello everyone, I hope we all managed to survive Christmas V-free!.

It was quite stressful with a houseful of people staying, I was worried about them v'ing through overeating, rather than noro. None of my relatives have children, so are rarely exposed. My dad works with children though, so he's always a concern, but I quizzed him before he came to visit (turns out he had it two weeks ago, phew!)

I find being antisocial is the best way to avoid noro (although i hate myself for that).

Now, deciding whether I can possible risk softplay next week.

btw, those of you that have problems eating because of the phobia. I'm not affected that way. (which I suppose is a relief, although I do need to lose at least a couple of stone!). I only stop eating on the odd occasion there is noro in the house

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 28-Dec-12 14:34:44

Argh it just said on the radio noro is up 83% compared to last year. <hides>

reastie Fri 28-Dec-12 15:16:55

I know inneed - I heard that too sad . I feel every week now as the stats come out I have a massive wobble for a few days when I hear how bad it is, then improve a bit then as soon as the next weeks stats are in and always bad I get worse again. I'll look into the stats later and see if it's really as bad as they say it is and report back any good news I can make of the figures <hopeful>

devil i am very antisocial at the minute too, although Dh is trying to plan family trips out together next week and I really want to look forward to them but feel dread in the pit of my stomach. We are choosing outdoor based things (like the zoo) so although I'll need to use their loos etc, hopefully I'll just wash hands really well and make DD wear gloves and hope this will be enough

devilinside Fri 28-Dec-12 15:39:42

Another cruise ship infected according to the news sad I wouldn't be surprised if the figures are up at the moment. Most people seem to carry on regardless over Christmas, and spread the virus around to each other.

corblimeymadam Fri 28-Dec-12 16:15:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Fri 28-Dec-12 16:47:07

Devil- it doesn't really stop me from eating (in a way i wish it did as i am over weight).

We just watched the news here too sad apparently there are 1 million cases of noro (they are guessing as only 2,500 conformed), they are advising people to stay in for 72 hours if they think they have it and only go to the gp if your baby has it or if you are elderly), and they also said that in the past it has peaked in Jan but this year it seems to have peaked in Dec (so if it has peaked than cases should start dropping over the next few weeks), i am hoping the worst is not yet to come.

Marne Fri 28-Dec-12 16:56:04

Oh and i am no sociable at all (hense why i'm on here all the time), i want to start swimming after christmas, dh wants me to go to the the local pool as it costs a couple £ to go but i would rather go to the one at the 4 star hotel up the road as its small and only elderly people seem to swim there (as its too deep for kids), i think theres less chanse of picking up a bug there, trouble is it costs £5 (so a lot more).

I went to a sale today at a local shop, it was packed, i grabbed a t-shirt for dd2 and made my way to pay, the que was huge and people were stood very close (people were coughing and sneezing over each other) so i put the t-shirt back and walked out. I did go to the sales yesterday but got there very early so there was hardly anyone else in the shops (was home by 10am and had a bath as soon as i got in). Would love to be able to drag the family out on a shopping trip but i just cant do it, the thought of them all touching everything, using public loos and then going to get something to eat scares me so much, at least when i go alone i can make sure i wash my hands well and i only touch what i have too (open doors with my elbows or my knee).

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Fri 28-Dec-12 18:10:45

Another non sociable one here, I went out today as had to go to the bank but made sure I wore my gloves to touch anything (they're now in the wash!).

reastie, I prefer outside trips too, I wish the rain would clear up so I can take ds to the park as that feels much safer than soft play not going to happen!. I hope you manage to go and enjoy yourselves though.

Marne, That's great that you went shopping today, I think lots of people hate the sales anyway and I bet lots of people put things back rather than queue up so don't worry about that. I'm with you on the swimming thing, I would much rather pay more to feel more comfortable (if only my bank balance would let me!).

Well, I have managed to eat almost all of a pannini today which is progress. I weighed myself this morning and am 55kgs so not too bad. Honestly though, I would love to lose weight through dieting instead of being scared. I feel nauseated all the time atm and it's not good for ds to see his mum not eating. I was going to have some toast and marmite for tea but my tummy is in knots again so will wait until tomorrow now.

reastie Fri 28-Dec-12 18:28:16

Marne I agree to re: the swimming - I spend more on certain activities etc because they feel 'safer' if I do. Well done on going to the sales though.

ItsOK well done on eating a pannini - that's really good progress (that sounds a bit patronising but I don't mean it to be), little steps and you'll get there.

Having a massive wobble about going back to work. I don't know if you remember I was signed off work for 3 weeks before christmas. There was a tummy bug and suspected noro at the school I work at and I couldn't cope with it all. I want to go back but I'm so scared of noro still. I guess I thought in my head if I can just get to christmas then it will all go away - turns out it hasn't! I don't know how I'm going to cope with it. I just want to do my job without the worry of this!

Saw a friend and her DS today. She asked me to meet up with her at a local soft play in a few weeks <shudder>. I couldn't think of an excuse as to why I couldn't so looks like I shall have to either muster the strength to brave it or just make up some reason why I can't meet her for a while confused . I'm so anti social aren't I?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now