Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

Chiggers Sat 03-Aug-13 18:57:17

Afternoon ladies, how are you all today? Sorry I haven't been on the thread much, I've been busy enough looking after my elderly parents as well as having my own family and walking the dog in between. It's literally non-stop from 6am to 10pm. I think we should have a sweat emoticon. Maybe a confused face with a few drops coming from the corner of the eyes or something.

Anyway, Clarella, how are you doing? How have you been lately? And what about yourself Hudson, have you been doing much lately?

Hudson, WRT meditating, maybe you should give it another go to see if it helps. There are times when we just have to accept that we will feel down/depressed or even suicidal, BUT, as long as you don't act on those feelings they will remain nothing more than that.

I tend to find that friends who are depressed have very little faith in themselves at the time of their depression. If you lose that, even momentarily, it can seem like there is nothing to live for. This is the time where you may need to force yourself to think that there is more you than just depressed feelings. Look around you and try to think objectively see the kids having fun, go to the beach and take stock of the beautiful scenery and start thinking that appreciating the very simple things in life. Sometimes, in the throes of anger/depression/sadness etc, we forget to appreciate what we do have and so we tend to see what we don't have by comparing ourselves to others who are more fortunate materialistically.

Material possessions do not make a good person. Appreciating every day that I'm alive makes me happy and so I treasure the time I have with my kids and DH. Learn to pick your battles too, and that isn't just with the children, it's also regarding other people.

Chiggers Sat 03-Aug-13 19:04:04

Bugger, I posted too soon grin I meant to say that you shouldn't stop believing in yourself. By doing that you can find the inner strength to, metaphorically, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and carry on with everyday life.

HTH

filee777 Sat 03-Aug-13 19:20:00

Hey can I join in?

I have just started my first packet of sertraline

Its been a bit of a sad day today, started off feeling really good but then saw someone in the supermarket who invited mr to a party, i'd love to go and more importantly DH woukd love to go but I know there is going t be people there that I don't want to see and that don't want to see me, so a bit sad that my ridiculous inabilit to have friendships that aren't really intense and Invariably lead to disaster has created yet another block for my lovely man to enjoy himself.

So feeling a little bit like some things would be better if I weren't around and so very very tired.

Tomorrow we are off to longleat for the day so hopefully I will feel better then, might have to pack some diazepam just incase I am a grumpy sod ruining everyone elses day.

Clarella Sat 03-Aug-13 20:31:38

hi fi grin

sorry to hear you've had a bad day. I hate that thing where you just want to hide from certain people. is your dh understanding?

you write so thoughtfully chiggers smile sorry to read about your parents. you have a lot on your plate.

I find that when my thyroid is well I'm prone to anxiety attacks / periods but I can fairly quickly reason with myself and recover. but when it's not I loose all ability to focus, do simple tasks etc. and then the anxiety is all encompassing like a fog in my head. and then the hopelessness sets in. I literally can't think straight. but I'm prone to it when my thyroid is well too as it's almost as if I'm too used to being like that.

I must admit that my head is clearer of the buzzing of obsessive thoughts and I can't be bothered to nit pick and fume.

I'm trying desperately to decide what to do about bf ds. it's getting out of hand at night and I read of 18 month olds still suckling all night. I wanted to continue but never thought it'd be every hour. but he's only 8 mo and not eating much. I've not had the strength to tackle it as yet. I know the no cry sleep solution is probably the best bet. but I'm at work in 4 weeks. thing is the sleep deprivation is what's driving me to ads. work is extremely physical and emotionally draining. I struggle with cc etc as I am so scared about my son's mh!!!

sorry not much to moan about really it's just that it's driving a wedge between dh and I.

filee777 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:48:16

DH is so supportive it untrue.

Hey focus on the positives, in a month and a half I will be studying again and hopefully on an AD that works for me and stops these dreadful mood swings.

Clarella Sun 04-Aug-13 10:14:44

oh those fucking mood swings. what are you studying? I'm glad your dh is supportive. I think I'm sapping mine to the extreme.

I very much hope so for you. I can't believe how these are working. despite a hard night and wanting to sleep for England this morning I'm up and perky and actually wanted a nice bath. and popped I'm sorry I haven't a clue on. and enjoyed it. thats the old me.

I've lots of energy, almost jittery, but I'm on borderline too much thyroxine. however, at night it's fuzzy weird happy stuff floating in my head.

I feel so bad for how horrid I've been to dh.sad he's finding dealing with me and my thyroid and my anxiety / depression very hard. I'm so unpredictable.

I wish we had family nearer.

(my phone's forgotten its capitals and punctuation, apologies for sloppy typing)

Chiggers Sun 04-Aug-13 12:28:12

Good morning Clarella, Hudson and Filee777. How are you all today?

Filee777, welcome to the thread. I've got the kettle on so does anyone want a brew? Sorry to hear of your predicament. Would it help to think that you can go to the party and you can choose to mingle with people other than the person/people you don't like. Just like they don't have to talk to you. It's no detriment really because there will be others there you can natter to. As long as you are polite and civil, but keep away from each other, then you needn't worry. It may also help to speak about X, Y or Z on neutral terms so they can't pick fault with anything you've said. If pressed, you could say that you all had issues with each other that couldn't be resolved and you prefer not to go into detail.

It's great that you have your DH to support you. Sometimes all we need is someone to support us and to lend a listening ear. Focussing on your family and studies will distract you a bit from the more depressing, mundane tasks in life. One tip I was given, by a wise elderly lady, was to not dwell on a problem too much, but to focus on finding a solution to the problems.

I know it seems easier said than done, but lets not forget that practice makes perfect and the more you practice, the more it becomes second nature smile. I hope this helps you see things a bit differently and less depressing.

As I said in my last post, we need to stop comparing ourselves against other people who are better off and just appreciate what good things we do have smile.

Chiggers Sun 04-Aug-13 12:44:09

Oh Clarella, you certainly sound like you're having a tough time sweetheart sad. I hope you always feel that you can come on here and vent/talk/get moral support at any time. We are here for you and the point of this thread is to offer support and gain different perspectives on whatever seems to be causing a problem.

There may be just a few of us on here in the small hours of the night, but I'll be back on here in the mornings to offer a brew and a listening ear.

filee777 Mon 05-Aug-13 11:22:51

Good morning all.

I am having a werid sort of day, have got a lot of cleaning the house to do and really can't be fucked, had a wonderful weekend so really shouldn't feel this awful but I do.

Its like when I'm not sith DH my world spins upside down and its scary

Clarella Mon 05-Aug-13 11:53:44

thanks chiggers. it could be worse.I just hate feeling this way when I have so much to be grateful for.

fi me too - doesn't help that it's really really chucking it down . I feel anxious and down and a little bit sick. ironically I got more sleep last night; lo cuddled into me all night and only really woke a couple of times which is amazing. I'm having colly wobble about sleeping; he's suddenly only settled by me. separation anxiety? 8 months. thing is I'm now wondering how the hell this works when I'm ill and gotta go to work sad

think I'm having a moany day sorry. hoping it's more side effects kicking in as I felt so good over the weekend? its day 5?

Clarella Mon 05-Aug-13 11:54:10

co sleeping I meant

filee777 Mon 05-Aug-13 13:04:42

Yeah I'm on day five too and also feeling very anxious and apprehensive, like things are just about to go very very wrong... I feel guilty for it too because we had such an amazing weekend that to feel like this just seems stupid. My bip is a little sore which is probably nothing more tha n the fact we walked for six hours yesterday and I had a baby stuxk to my back but I still can't shake the thought that maybe I am going to be screwed by a dodgy hip foe the rest of my life!

Sorry you feel apprehe sive about co-sleeping, I coslept with both my babies for a while, my first dor longer than my second just because of their different temperememts and I think 8 months is notoriously clingy, to be ho est it was 12 months before I even considered moving j into his own space and then eventually his own room. Kids are very adaptable so don't fret about the future just enjoy all the snuggly baby cuddles.

Clarella Mon 05-Aug-13 13:41:24

the yawny jaw shudder thing has started sad

Clarella Mon 05-Aug-13 14:56:14

aw that's reassuring fi thanks smile I do love the snuggles. I keep having to seek reassurance that it's ok even though I tell others!

sorry about your hip. I used to get a lot of hip issues till I started doing some yoga which really helped. I hope it eases soon.

sounds like a lovely walk. do you baby wear? there's a big community round here into slings

I'm hoping lo ismt affected by this drug; he's just done a snuggly sleepy couple of hours in bed with me. as if he felt the same?

filee777 Mon 05-Aug-13 15:35:17

Yeah we have a sling, it was so nice to wander around longleat without worrying about buggies and piles of stuff, a thoroughly lovely day

Clarella Tue 06-Aug-13 18:03:32

how are you today fi?

despite a gawd awful night with teething and cold I slept well in between and don't feel too bad today. no side effects I can spot. hope it stays like this!

filee777 Tue 06-Aug-13 18:13:20

I slept well but had a sketchy/anxious morning, it's weird to be able to label it as anxiety, it's just how I am used to feeling. Anyway, I took my sertraline at about 1.30pm and literally by 2pm I just felt this weight lift from me. I can still feel it a bit now, it's sort of coming back a bit but its certainly improved my day... Hoping this will continue!

Clarella Sat 10-Aug-13 10:05:19

I think sleep deprivation isn't helping me but feeling low sad

lo woke hourly. I know he's full of cold. I bf back to sleep n cosleep but I don't know if that gives him wind? I feel like I'm in some sort of hell, facing going back to work in 3 weeks. work is extremely physical. and fraught. I've lost so much weight as it is. I don't know if they'll let me express, or rather if I'll have the time.

sorry feeling v low.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Sun 11-Aug-13 13:58:59

Hello, Can i join. Started Sertraline 5 days ago. Have an 8 wk old baby and 2 others ds's. ds1's behaviour started to deteriorate over the last year and he has just been diagnosed with Aspergers. I'm having trouble coping with everything at the moment.

I think i'm having quite a few side effects though, every morning i wake up feeling sick, shaky, dizzy, like i can't wake up properly but i can't get back to sleep either. I'm like a zombie until lunch time.

Dh said he had similar when he started on AD's (citalopram) and it should wear off after a couple of weeks. Gawd i hope so.

Funnyfishface Mon 12-Aug-13 00:00:34

Clucky69 - hi.

I am on 10mg of citalopram for anxiety and panic. I would say the first week of starting is the worst and by the 9 th day the side effects dropped off.
The first week I had sweats, heightened anxiety, slept loads, spaced out, dizzy, yawning constantly, no appetite.
I have been on them since Oct 2012 and still on 10mg.
I have gained 10 pounds. My body temperature has gone up.
I have also had cbt and counselling and I have the anxiety more under control. I still have wobbles but no where near as bad as I was.
In oct I couldn't face leaving the house.

If you want to pm me at all you can.
Good luck

Vatta Fri 16-Aug-13 20:08:27

Hello all - was prescribed sertraline today, planning to start taking it in the morning. Starting on 25mg a day, then after a month going to 50. It's to treat depression - I was on fluoxetine which worked pretty, but am TTC and the psychiatrist said sertraline is the safer choice.

At the moment I feel pretty despairing, but am trying to be businesslike about this - I know ADs, good diet, exercise, sunshine all help mood so I'm just trying to do everything I'm supposed to and wait for things to get better.

Fingers crossed.

Chiggers Sun 18-Aug-13 15:23:48

Afternoon ladies. How is everyone today? Fishface, Vattaand Don'tSweat, welcome to the thread. I have the kettle on so will be passing the brew and biscuit around. Does anyone fancy one?

Clarella Tue 20-Aug-13 17:01:38

thanks chiggers.

finding it tough following a vomiting bug last week which messed up the meds on top of now being on too much thyroxine. some days I feel like I'm falling apart.

and dh has been such hard work stressing about our breastfed 17th percentile slow to wean frequently waking PERFECTLY NORMAL 8 month old. he is suffocating me over it all. dictating when to bf when not to bf etc. he apoloised but it's still riling him.

thank god for the lovely nursery manager who mentioned many reasons why lo might not be too keen on food.

Funnyfishface Thu 22-Aug-13 23:38:45

Hi all.

I am a bit fed up to be honest. I just can't really be bothered to do anything. I am not sleeping at all well. I go to bed about midnight then lie awake for a couple of hours.
I am constantly hot.
I feel a it empty. It's hard to explain. Just not myself. Like a daze. Does that make sense to anyone.
I'm seriously thinking about weaning off the meds. But I'm scared to.
I am on 10mg of citalopram for anxiety and panic.
I don't like relying on meds.

chasingtail Sun 01-Sep-13 18:59:34

Whispers ..... can I join please? I was on 40mg of Fluoxetine for 3 years after delayed(??) PND diagnosed. Initially it was great but in my view it kind of eventually stopped working and I just cold turkey them.

18 months later the bitch from hell reappeared, with irritability and rage of epic proportions. So am now on 20mg of Citalopram but TBH I don't see much difference, apart from horrid jaw clenching and insomnia.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here, up the dosage?, got back to Prozac?, try something else?

Wondering if anyone else has experience of taking AD's for extreme irritability / stressiness and which one works best for them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now