Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

Mixeduphippychick Tue 19-Feb-13 13:20:41

Hi. I'm new to all this (on MN not in real life unfortunately) and am about to go to my GP for a sertraline prescription (for PTSD). Can I join in? I think I need hand holding. I really don't want to take any ADs due to side effects etc (especially anxiety and nightmares and not sleeping well) but cannot cope with the PTSD and anxiety anymore. I am on the waiting list for counselling but have to wait for 6 months (posted my story last night). Its a long wait.

I'm hoping that it will be a positive step and once the worst side effects are over it will help on the road to recovery. Just a bit terrified of starting them, especially as I have my 18 month old DD to look after. I used to take fluoxetine but that sent me loopy initially and it did make me feel better. The side effects were minimal but still horrid.

Well appointment in half an hour, so best get my arse in gear

Dawndonna Tue 19-Feb-13 16:22:17

Bleugh! Everything is tasting of salt now. Bloody tricyclics. Does Sertraline have the same affects as other ssris? Do you go down before you feel better? I can't face going down, but equally, I can't let my only twice a week milky way bar taste of salt!

Chiggers Tue 19-Feb-13 19:29:44

Hi Mixed, welcome to the thread. Here, have a wee brew and a biscuit to dunk if you wish smile.

IME, sometimes things will get worse before they get better, so it may be an idea to keep on for another few weeks. If nothing is getting better, then make an appointment with your GP to review your AD.

Am heading to bed very soon so will bid you all good night and hope you all take care smile

Mixeduphippychick Tue 19-Feb-13 20:01:59

Thanks for tea and biscuits Chiggers. I will start slowly with support whilst my husband works away (great timing!) and definitely go back to the GP for tweaking if needed.

Hope you have a good night's kip

Chiggers Wed 20-Feb-13 07:32:40

Good morning ladies smile. Hope you all slept well last night. How is everyone this morning? I had such a great night's sleep last night that I woke up at 5am and just rested until 6.30am. I'm now up and bouncing like a mad ferret grin.

Chiggers Wed 20-Feb-13 07:36:04

<<goes upstairs to bounce around on bed like a lunatic>>

Chiggers Wed 20-Feb-13 08:17:46

I have an almost-irristable urge to try and breakdance on my bed, but I won't because I'll probably fall of the bed and lie in a heap on the floor grin.

Chiggers Wed 20-Feb-13 08:24:21

Ad before anyone asks me, YES, I am mad in a daft/crazy sense.

Dawndonna Wed 20-Feb-13 10:21:02

That made me giggle, Chiggers I can just imagine a woman breakdancing on her bed now, all wild hair and lippy smeared on her face! grin

Chiggers Wed 20-Feb-13 16:26:13

Just back from college. Dawn well, I did think about it, but I decided to be very sensible and wash the breakfast dishes up instead. Bah, being sensible is no fun at all. When I'm 97yo, I'll be the wee mad old dear who's always up to mischief wink.

Chiggers Fri 22-Feb-13 21:37:07

Evening all. Did my 2nd presentation, for my DD's class, on healthy diet. Started off asking the class to put their hands up if they could tell me what a diet was. Every one of the children (apart from my DD) agreed that it was something you go on to lose weight shock, so I assumed most of them have been around . I informed them that a diet was simply a range of foods eaten by each person, and that each person's diet could be the same/similar or different from their own.

So I asked questions about different aspects of eating and emphasised that a little of everything is good, but also that too much of any food is not so good. For their age, they did very well when I asked them to do some group work and name nay healthy foods begining with P, then C.

The teacher asked about portion sizes for children of their age, so I though for a bit and remembered that a way to measure portion sizes for fruit and veg, would be for each child to have a portion size of their own cupped hand. The good thing about it is that each individual hand will grow as the child grows, so they get enough food, but not enough to feel starving IYSWIM. I read up and tested that myself, and I found that it does actually work where I feel pleasantly full, but not starving or absolutely stuffed.

If the child isn't willing to partake in the measuring, then you can use a tablespoon or, for a child under 5, a dessert/soup spoon will do just as well.

Dawndonna Fri 22-Feb-13 21:58:15

That sounds really good, Chiggers. Interesting too. Well done for getting up and doing it. Oh, and bear in mind, children will always be your worst critics, so anything else should be easy!

Chiggers Fri 22-Feb-13 23:00:54

Dawn, I feel more comfortable because they don't know as much as I do about the subject, but the adults in my class do because we're doing it as our 2nd assignment.

Anyway, I'm away to bed now, but I hope you have had a good day today. Will chat tomorrow morning.

Night night ladies. Hope you all sleep well tonight smile.

uptothestars Sun 24-Feb-13 23:06:36

The dreaded day is upon us....back to school tomorrow hmm and back to work for me on Tuesday. Weeks off really do fly. Its been busy, and I feel like I need another week off to recover, but I've really enjoyed it! And the kids have too!

Roll on April for my next week off ~ not that I'm counting or anything wink

How are we all??

Chiggers Mon 25-Feb-13 18:18:32

Stars, you sound like you've been constantly on the go, this last wee while smile. I bet when you get in the door and get the DC to bed, you're flopping on the sofa knackered smile.

I guess it's because you're so busy that you don't actually notice how quickly time flies.

We're grand here. Just got back from St John's Badgers (my DC go there and I take them as a leader). I was teaching sign language for the DC who weren't there over the last 2 weeks, and for those who were, I was just going over what I'd already taught. I could teach them about DNA and all that palaver, but I'd fry the old information retention circuitry (brain). My head's melted already and we've only done one day of DNA etc grin.

Anyway, how have you been since we last heard from you? Hope you've been doing good.

uptothestars Mon 25-Feb-13 20:34:16

You're not wrong. I'm flopped on the sofa watching soaps. Seriously contemplating bed though!

I've been ok. The busyness has helped loads.

You always sound so busy. Sign language is a great skill to have. Can't be easy teaching it to kids though.

Hi all, I'm new to this thread, I've been on sertraline for PND for both children, DS is now 23 months and I've been weaning myself slowly off sertraline for approx 4-5 months now (been on them for 2nd time since DS 6 weeks so approx 21-22 months), with Dd was on them for far shorter time. Have been completely off them for 7-10 days and am having some pretty big mood swings, have gone into feelings of rage, barely communicated with LOs over the weekend as I felt in a "slump", is this a normal thing re coming off them and I should give it a few weeks or should I go back on them? Am thinking of ringing GP tmrw but would appreciate your thoughts, esp as usually very hard to get a telephone consultation with the GP I've been seeing for PND.

I actually haven't seen GP for 4-5 months since discusse reducing dose slowly with her. I was on 150mg (200 didn't work for me, too much), and have been in just 50mg for say a month or 2 and on 50mg on alternate days for say 2-4 weeks before stopping.

Chiggers Tue 26-Feb-13 18:12:27

Good evening Honey grab a pew and join in with the nattering. You're more than welcome here on the thread and may as well have a wee brew and a biscuit to dunk if you wish.

I don't know much about sertraline as I'm on amitriptyline, but I think you are doing well with weaning yourself off them slowly. I think weaning over a good long time is just so that you can adjust slowly to the depleting amounts of AD. That's my theory anyway and if I'm wrong, then someone can come along and tell me I'm talking shite, AGAIN. I could make a living out of talking a load of crap grin.

Sorry, will have to tell DH and DS off for beating each other up and making a racket. Bugger it, I CBA to give off to them grin, I'll just let them get on with it until one of them collapses with exhaustion grin. Never a dull moment in this house wink.

Anyway, how are you feeling in yourself? Would it help you to pre-empt your mood swings IYSWIM and reassure yourself that it will pass, it's just a matter of when. At the same time, could you also let your LO's know that mummy may be grumpy/sad for a bit but you still love them and it will go away eventually?

Hi Chiggers, some good tips there (and thanks for the tea and biscuit!) I miraculously managed to have a telephone consultation with the doctor I wanted to today, she said hang in there for a couple of weeks but it may be my seratonin (?) levels needed a little boost still for a while longer so see how I go and maybe go back on 50mg sertraline for a while longer. She also suggested keeping a diary of low periods, and that DH keeps a similar diary, to see if there's a cyclical pattern in my mood swings (possible PMT). I have always had bad pmt but very regular in that its always the week before due on, but she said sometimes childbirth can mess with that. Some good tips there. I will also be speaking to dd, DS too young (dd only 4.4) about grumpy mummy! Thanks x

Chiggers Wed 27-Feb-13 15:50:09

No problem Honey, just glad I could help in some way or other smile. That's what we're here for, to help others and be supportive to other posters.

uptothestars Mon 04-Mar-13 23:17:54

It's been a while since anyone posted.
Are we all ok?

I'm going on a hen do (well weekend) soon so looking forward to that. Never going to lose the few pounds I've been meaning to lose though not that I've been saying it since Christmas! blush

Apart from that, things looking a bit brighter smile

Hope everyone is doing well

Chiggers Wed 06-Mar-13 11:44:43

I'm still here Stars. Was just reading about quantum physics and the afterlife. Makes for interesting reading and for some reason, I am madly excited by it. That Stephen Hawking is a naughty man has a lot to answer for, getting me all excited like that (about quantum physics) grin.

Anyway, enough about my musings. How are you Stars? Anything new and exciting going on at your end of the world?

Chiggers Thu 07-Mar-13 08:37:07

Good morning good people, how is everyone today? I hope you're all doing OK smile.

Chiggers Thu 07-Mar-13 08:37:48

Got the pot on, so anyone want a brew and a biscuit?

MrsSJG Thu 07-Mar-13 13:07:36

Hello I've just been prescribed Prozac. It's been awhile since I've been here hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now