Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

Chiggers Tue 05-Feb-13 15:14:27

Back again ladies.

Went to the dentist today for a few fillings. Had a panic attack, heart started racing and I went all shakey and panicky. It was the adrenaline in the local anaesthetic kicked it off. Dentist was worried, but I told her that she could work away through it and I would close my eyes and control my breathing while she worked at my teeth.

I have never felt so out of control, yet so in control at the same time. I knew it was a panic attack because of the symptoms, but having covered panic attacks in St John's Ambulance, I knew how to treat it. It's true what they say, that knowledge is power grin

Other than that, all went well at the dentist. I'm still alive and kicking, so it can't be that bad grin.

seaofyou Tue 05-Feb-13 15:16:21

Your welcome cololuring and Rumours hope the side effects settle back down...I had to have a sleep for an hour as shattered.
Don't know if taking them in the evening is better than the morning though? Does anyone know if morning or evening is best? But not sleeping very well at night and now these tablets is starting to make me feel a bit zombified?? On day 3?

Dawndonna Tue 05-Feb-13 15:18:31

Thank you Chiggers and Seaofyou Having a calmer, quieter day today. I hope everyone else is okay.

seaofyou Tue 05-Feb-13 15:22:51

That is total facing your fear Chiggers well done smile
I'm good at the dentist now, not that I have been for several years. But when I was younger I released the more tense I was the more the needle hurt...so I relax with all needles dentist/blood and it doesnt make me feel so oozy and hurt as it would relaxed...deep breathing is great hey!

seaofyou Tue 05-Feb-13 15:26:42

Hi Dawn glad your having a calmer one...gotta savour the better days smile

Chiggers Tue 05-Feb-13 19:20:02

Hi Dawn and Sea. It was scary, but when something like that happens, I remember that I can't control the situation, but I CAN control the way I react to it. I decided to go into control freak mode grin, opened my mouth and said "If I faint, you'll just have to take advantage of me being unconscious and continue while I can't feel it grin". She laughed at my 'creative' strategy for working on my teeth.

Well, I'm still alive, so nowt to worry about grin.

Anyway, how is everyone? I hope you all had a reasonable day at the least!!!

seaofyou Wed 06-Feb-13 00:55:41

Morning Chiggers I'm having trouble sleeping now the sleep worn off from 1st night 48 hrs ago.

It's hard when you are scared of something but you really need to do it! I have to go out tomorrow on my own...the worry I am having over it! Why? Not any thoughts to why I am? Just the panic is their! But I have some control as know where I am going, who I am meeting etc

Would it be best to take the Sertraline in the morning (my anxiety is worse then...so I thought teatime...will have effect for morning...instead of warn off as 24hrs since last tab??).

Suddenly feel tired...better nab this opportunitysmile

Chiggers Wed 06-Feb-13 12:39:10

You know Sea I used to hate going out and was very panicky about it. It came to the point where I had to force myself to go out and I realised, after 6/7 times that I was actually panicking over nothing. Everything that was going through my head (possibly getting beaten up/run over, people shouting at and intimidating me etc) didn't happen smile, and it was when I had gone out about 6/7 times that I realised that it was actually pointless worrying about going out.

Am in college ATM, so am sneaking a wee turn on MN before I go for lunch grin [cheeky mare emoticon].

I think that you could get used to the grogginess quicker if you took the Sertraline at the same time every day. That way you get into a routine and after a couple of weeks you may become more used to the effects IYSWIM. It's like you body know the Sertraline is coming so gears itself up for it.

BTW, I now carry a deflated balloon with me. I know it sounds strange, but if I ever have a panic attack again, I'll get the balloon abd blow it up a few time to help regulate my breathing.

Anyway, gotta go now, but will be back later smile.

Take care til then.

Chiggers Thu 07-Feb-13 20:46:46

Evening ladies smile. I hope everyone had a better day than I did.

Today wasn't great TBH. I felt very alone in class today, so I decided to sit by myself and crack on with any work that needed to be done.

I was ready to jack it all in (the course), but my logical self overrode my irrational self and I decided that it wasn't in my kids interests for me to give it up. I just feel so low. I have a week of for half-term, but I'll probably not want to go back.

I feel like I just don't fit in any more.

Chiggers Thu 07-Feb-13 20:53:28

Am away to bed now, but will be back in the morning.

I hope you good ladies are OK. I haven't hear from many of you recently.

seaofyou Thu 07-Feb-13 23:33:35

Oh Chiggers I'm sorry to hear you day was bad. A shame as yesterday was so good. With depression I say best to saviour the good days because when the down days come it is a rollercoaster very bumpy and scary on times. You know you will have another good day soon and you need to have a YINYAN symbol in your head to help you remember that you will have another good day.

also it is term ending and you are possibly shattered with studying and dc like us all! I always say 'sleep on it' never make rash decisions esp on days that dark cloud overhangs us.

Can you get some counselling at uni...they are the best uni support services...(sorry if you have already done this and I missed it). What you studying btw? You are very committed to do this with dc as very hard juggling it all. Remember those balls if fall you can pick them up again.

When I have a bad day I ride with it, don't do much lower my expectations of what I will achieve and leave the dishes in dishwasher until tomorrow or the day after if need.

Chiggers Fri 08-Feb-13 08:09:32

It's no problem as DH (carer for his mum until she passed away in August last year) looks after the childcare and housework, any hospital runs that need doing etc. Luckily DH was high up in St John's Ambulance (has tended everything from Motocross events to Saturday night in town) so I don't have to worry about whether DC would be OK as DH remembers all of what he was taught.

I've joined St John's as well and the people there are fab. The District Officer, who talks to us about different medical conditions is fab. He should have been a Dr as he has a bad sense of humour grin. St John's is the one place that I feel right at home.

Chiggers Sat 09-Feb-13 10:07:56

Morning good ladies. How is everyone today?

uptothestars Sun 10-Feb-13 14:31:02

Miserable day...matches my mood perfectly sad

Chiggers Sun 10-Feb-13 15:08:43

Sorry to hear you're feeling naff Stars, has it been a crap day for you today?

uptothestars Sun 10-Feb-13 20:53:15

You could say that. Just felt very lonely.
How are you?

Chiggers Mon 11-Feb-13 09:08:43

Good morning Stars. How are you this morning?

I'm doing OK. Still feeling alone, like yourself, but much more content in myself IYSWIM.

I'm looking forward to taking the Badgers tonight (St John's Ambulance juniors from 5yo-10yo). Only been in the post for 2 weeks, but having fun learning alongside the kids smile. I go to the adult night at St Jonh's on a Wed night. It's great fun and there's loads of laughs.

uptothestars Mon 11-Feb-13 22:24:09

Sounds like fun. I could do with having something to do on an evening but I have no motivation. It takes me all my energy to get myself upstairs to put my pyjamas on...although chilling in my pj's is becoming a bit of a habit. Maybe it's the cold dark nights?

I feel ok today. Still a little alone. And absolutely exhausted (no reason to) But only this week to get through then a week off, and as its half term next week there will be no early get ups grin

Chiggers...you sound like you're always busy. How do you do it? I'm struggling just to get through work never mind anything else.

ProudAS Tue 12-Feb-13 13:12:23

I'm having bad period pains (not quite throwing up but worst they've been in over 10 years). Anyone know whether this could be down to sertraline which I was recently prescribed?

Chiggers Tue 12-Feb-13 18:06:27

Evening good ladies. How is everyone?

Stars, I hate being bored and can't sit still for more than a few minutes, so I have joined a couple of groups to keep me busy as well as studying. That's on tops of the school runs, pick ups, and after school clubs.

Proud, it may be worth phoning your GP and asking if the pains are side effects of the sertraline. Saying that, I have never heard ofhose sort of pains as an effect of the AD. Definitely speak to your GP though, just to clarify.

Chiggers Wed 13-Feb-13 09:25:48

Morning ladies smile. How is everyone? Hope you're all doing OK.

Chiggers Wed 13-Feb-13 12:39:39

Had a bit of a downer yesterday. Was thinking about my late MIL. Such a wonderful wee woman. Unfortunately she's no longer with us, so had a 1/2hr sobfest as I miss her loads. Luckily DH had gone out to the dentist so I could blub in private. I hate him seeing me upset. In fact, I hate anyone seeing me upset.

suziejt Wed 13-Feb-13 20:03:07

hi i am on day 16 of taking 50mg of sertraline and was wondering how long the headaches and teeth clenching go on for can someone help??

Chiggers Thu 14-Feb-13 12:48:13

Hi Susie, welcome to the thread smile. Have a brew and a biscuit to dunk smile.

I'm not sure about sertraline as I've always been prescribed Amitriptyline, but I've heard that teeth clenching and headaches are 2 of a range of side effects. How long they go on depends on the individual person.

If you're not sure about sertraline being right for you, I guess you ought to see your GP about it.

I hope you get it sorted smile

BlackCatinChaos Thu 14-Feb-13 19:48:39

Hello, haven't been on MNet for a while. Chiggers You might remember me. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now