Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

PackItInNow Thu 17-Jan-13 16:40:24

Afternoon good ladies. We're due a fair bit of snow, so and I'm heading down to do my shopping tonight before it starts (meant to start snowing tomorrow morning around 8-ish), just so that I can drop kids off at school and come home rather than lugging a load of groceries back. I just cannot be arsed to go out in it unless I'm chucking snowball at the kids grin.

PainForLife Thu 17-Jan-13 22:39:41

just checking in.... had a complete mental breakdown on Monday... was in a&e for the night then sent home with a sleeping pill... psych Dr & nurses been visiting everyday. on a new AD venalfaxine & quetiapine (I think that's how u spell it). feeling completely out of sorts.... suicidal thoughts are not stopping... voices in my head r not stopping.... I'm being watched 24hrs a day by family & I feel like such a burden on them as if I wasn't already!

PackItInNow Fri 18-Jan-13 08:34:53

Good morning ladies smile, how is everyone today?

<<sits down beside and hugs Pain>> You know Pain, so sorry you're in such a state sad, but you can come back from this. It'll take a lot of hard work and take a heck of a lot of time, but you can do it. You just have to have a bit of faith in yourself that you can do this. When it gets tough, think about the end goal.......you getting better. I've found that setting yourself achievable short-term goals to reach can help get you to the long-term goal. If things are getting tough and you need a boost and support, come on here and I'll do what I can, when I can, to help you smile.

Sometimes, just knowing that someone is out there thinking about you and caring about how you're doing, can make all the difference between giving up and carrying on with your treatment smile.

Rumours Fri 18-Jan-13 10:38:03

Morning, I've not posted for a while, I'm now in 100mg of sertraline and I'm up and down. Yesterday I had a good day, was out in the morning at a support group for parents with children with asd, which was good, then had a coffee with a friend in the afternoon, then completely crashed. Felt so low, but still can't cry. I think because I was so up all day and keeping it together it completely drained me. Still feeling low now and have just got back into bed, not to sleep just to rest.

PackItInNow Fri 18-Jan-13 15:33:16

Rumours, you shouldn't worry about having a low point, we all have had one of those at some point in our lives smile. Would it help to see it as a blip on your long road to happiness.

uptothestars Sat 19-Jan-13 01:54:15

Can't sleep. Bad day. And I have an awful cold. Hoping to have a nice lie in as dd's not back til tea time.
Feel absolutely awful and need a hug hmm

How is everyone doing??

PackItInNow Sat 19-Jan-13 06:29:42

Good morning ladies smile, how is everyone?

<<hugs Stars>> Don't worry Stars, you will get better, although it'll take time. The cold is a bugger to get rid of at times, so dose yourself up with a multivitamin and mineral supplement, a decongestant, some pain relief, some mentholated sweets such as Halls (in a black packet) or Lockets and hopefully that will help you on your way to recovery smile. BTW, make sure it's a decongestant such as Phenylephrine, Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline. These should do the trick, or at least ease your symptoms smile, but make sure they aren't combined with Paracetamol. It just means that you can take the maximum dose of 1000mg(1g) if needed.

I find that only using the decongestant at night helps me to have a better night's sleep than if I was using it during the day as well as night.

I have just come across some information that blowing your nose during the cold/flu/other congestion-inducing infection, doesn't do the nostrils any good. In fact, apparently the more you blow your nose, the more mucus is produced. It's a bit like skin cleansing in a sense. The more you clean your face, the more oils are produced to replace the lost natural oils.

Anyway, half asleep I is and I'm nipping off to make my 2nd cuppa of the day (finished my 1st about 5mins ago) so I get the proverbial caffeine-induced kick the arse grin.

Back soon.

pain I am sorry things are so rough, I hope home treatment is helping you smile

I hope things settle down for you rumours and the sertraline starts to work.

I have a cold as well stars it doesn't help when you feel crap does it?

I am ok, I have another thread so I won't write much. On 1:1 obs and very jittery but ok, doing lots of colouring in at the moment which is helping. DH visits every day, not allowed to leave the ward at the moment. I want to go home but they say no.

IAmLouisWalsh Sat 19-Jan-13 20:39:15

Urgh. First time in a while I have felt crappy and snappy and generally rubbish.

Sleeping is still pretty lousy, too.

On the plus side, I seem to be pooing normally once again.

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 19-Jan-13 23:32:23

just sneaking in to say hi to all
im having a very crap time, wont elaborate as its a long long story. im still reading, just not posting so much.

Thinking of you Louis and vicar

PackItInNow Sun 20-Jan-13 13:30:06

<<hugs Louis, Fluffy and Vicar>> Here's a brew for you Louis, brew one for you Vicar and one brew for yourself Fluffy. Cheers folks <<raises brew>>

So, how is everyone today? I hope you all are having a better day than yesterday. Yesterday seemed not so good for all 3 of you, so hopefully today is a bit better for y'all smile

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:46:45

im afraid im having a very difficult time - had to phone a friend earlier to talk some sense into me. i had just about given up.

things too difficult to explain. too hard. everything is just too hard to do and i have spent the entire weekend in bed. had a huge row with DH and have a headache from crying. lucky friend replied to my text as i had decided that no one would give a shite if i was here or not. think im at lowest ebb ive been at for a long time. DS has dropped a bombshell on me and DH is leaving everything to me, and i cant fix this. im too tired.

PackItInNow Mon 21-Jan-13 08:01:22

<<hugs Vicar>> Vicar, when you said that you were at your lowest ebb for a long time, well, it got me thinking. I was musing that you may not feel like you can go any lower, so you can only go up, meaning things will get better.

I've been extremely low myself with PND after DD and in my heart of hearts, I understand that you feel likecrap, but sometimes it helps to look for the positive in the what you're going through. For instance, if you feel that you're at your lowest point, things can only get better smile. It may take some time to feel like things have got better, but it will happen.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:51:38

you know, last night i googled how long it would take to die from hyperthermia if i went and laid down in the garden.

i text my friend and i decided if she answered i would talk to her, if she didnt, i would just do it.

she responded. she spent 2 hours on the phone with me.

when i say lowest ebb i meant it, i just dont want to do this anymore. im to tired.
i told DH today what i was thinking of doing.
he said the pills are obviously not working.
i have had a bombshell dropped on me - just as i felt i was clawing my way back up, and on top of everything else i just cant cope.

i will cope. because i have no sodding choice. If im alive i have to cope.

Oh vicar I am sorry things are so rough, can you get back to your GP to ask for some more support?

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 21-Jan-13 23:55:32

im back in a couple of weeks anyway but i will monitor and i will tell her how i feel.

its just circumstances that have conspired against me. everything comes at once and when im least equipped to deal with it.

im not in the same place tonight (thank god) i was despairing last night. tonight im feeling more numb but less affected.

Ameybee Tue 22-Jan-13 11:02:53

May I join?
I'm week 2 into sertraline for PND. Feeling worse right now, really hoping they work soon. Feel like I'm in a black hole & will never get out. Seeing gp on Thursday as think I will need dose increase. At the moment I really really hate myself. Feel like I've failed my DH DD and DS and am constantly thinking of all the times I've not been a good wife/mum. X

Dawndonna Tue 22-Jan-13 11:40:14

Any advice? Going to the docs tomorrow but don't get on with SSRIs, any ideas appreciated.

vicar I hope things are brighter for you today? Has your GP mentioned CBT?

Hi Amey I am sorry things seem so low for you, you are a great Mum and wife and I am sure the people in your life think that as well, I hope the medication helps you soon smile

Hello Dawn I have been on mirtazipine in the past and really liked that

Dawndonna Tue 22-Jan-13 14:41:57

Thank you Fluffy. I see it's a mix and not a straight SSRI. Might be worth a go. I have diverticular disease and colitis, so the old fashioned tricyclics may not be the best way to go, either. We'll see.

PackItInNow Tue 22-Jan-13 16:26:16

Hi ladies. Had a crap day today. Been feeling like I just want to give up on the Access course I'm doing. Get very anxious about going in every morning and I find it strange considering I'm on Amitriptyline and Pregabalin (Lyrica). The Pregabalin is used for Generalised Anxiety Disorder, so I though the combination of the AD and Lyrica would have kept me in check.

I don't want to be bothered talking to people, except the lecturers WRT the subject being taught. I was just keeping myself to myself today. I just don't want people bothering me. I'm sat here almost in tears because I dread going in. I know someone will ask me something and I'd rather not talk to anyone TBH.

Dawndonna Tue 22-Jan-13 19:00:55

PackItIn
The reason I'm the way I am now is because I have a dh who is in constant pain, has been for three years in March, and can't walk. I also have four children, three who are ASD. I also lost a much loved Stepmother, Grandmother and Uncle last year. It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I know I need something. I was last on Amitriptyline over twenty years ago. Went on an Access Course, it was hard, not academically, people wise. I was 28. I went on to University and by the second year was off the Amitriptyline. I'm 54 now. Stick with the course, I know it's hard, but it makes such a difference to your life, to how you feel about yourself, to the way you think others percieve you, to your own success. Keep going, it really is worth it. I haven't needed anything for 24 years thanks to the course.

PackItInNow Tue 22-Jan-13 19:18:43

It's not that the content is hard, it's the thought of going in and having people ask me questions about this, that and the other etc. I'm not a crowd person, so I sit in the corner away from everyone and get on with the work. I quite enjoy listening to my MP3 and just getting on with the work.

I AM going to stick with it. My focus is on completing the course no matter what it takes, but I just don't feel like I fit in at all. I just want to cry all the time as I completely dread going in.

I know this is a phase and it will end eventually, but it just seems so hard to be enthusiastic about going to college.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:22:52

hey packit

you are normally so positive - you can do this. I totally and utterly get how you feel about not fitting in - it surprises me you say that because you seem to me to be a very positive pleasant and cheery soul and i bet its more about how you feel rather than how things are in reality iyswim?

I am feeling very much the same around work and in some ways wish id not been signed off because i now just want to run away from it and not face going back.
is there anyone at college you could speak to?

i decided today that when i have my appointment with occupational health im going to be honest about my thoughts on the job, the fact that i cannot manage a full time job and a full time job at home with DS etc....and then its going to be up to them to either facilitate my return in a way i can manage or im going to find something else that suits.

(hugs) packit - here is a brew for you with an extra biscuit for good measure.

hope everyone else is ok....sorry to see you have had a terrible time pain - and i hope you are feeling better fluffy....i have been a little consumed with my own stuff but hope everyone else is ok....

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now