Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

BlackCatinChaos Wed 02-Jan-13 05:54:40

Morning all, just checking in, been up since 4. DH back to work today. Just need to plod on and do my best. Off to get breakfast in a mo and check in to Flylady thread (babysteps).

Stay safe everyone!

Might pop in later. x

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 09:25:27

Good morning BlackCat. Your 2nd but last post makes a lot of sense. Your in conflict with yourself and sometimes it can be hard to know which part of you is right. It won't necessarily be the logical part.

WRT your DH being back to work, you need to ask yourself some simple questions. Questions like, "Can I change the nappies"? "Can I cook dinner"? "Can I tidy up while the DC are sleeping"? If you can answer yes to all these questions, then I'm sure you'll cope just fine.

The thing is BlackCat you really need to keep taking the AD's constantly because it can take up to 8wks for the effects to kick in. It's normally any time around 4-6wks when the noticable effects are seen. So taking the AD's on and off isn't going to do you any good.

Anyway, got to go as I've to take the Xmas tree and decorations down. Will catch up later. Take care all you good ladies.

HeartOfDixie Wed 02-Jan-13 12:41:19

Hello everyone. I have a question about sleep; I am on day 6 of 50mg of sertaline, still feeling a bit all over the place, my pattern seems to be anxiety for two hours early morning, then depression where I can't do anything then about 12ish the fog clears and by evening I feel relatively normal. but however tired I am I can't sleep, usually akes me 2 hours of lying there and then I wake at around 4:30am. I am beyond exhausted at the moment.

has anyone got any tips how to combat either of these sleep issues, I just want more sleep!

susiedaisy Wed 02-Jan-13 14:27:29

Heart- your pattern you've described sound identical to how I was when I first started taking sertraline all I can say is hang on in there and the side effects and hopefully the anxiety will lessen, it took about three weeks for me to notice a change and am now on week 6 and feel alot better, not 100% but much better than when I started on sertraline!

Hi to everyone else I have been lurking but not posting much recently hope everyone is ok xx

HeartOfDixie Wed 02-Jan-13 18:22:41

That's good to hear susie thanks

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 18:25:29

Evening Susie, evening Heart. How are you both today? Haven't seen you both for a bit. Have you been OK this last wee while?

Kr15 Wed 02-Jan-13 19:08:21

Hi BlackCatinCaos
I am ok, having a bad couple of days but trying to stay positive thinking that in the end the tablets will work, I feel it is my only hope at the moment. Thanks for your support. smile

Kr15 Wed 02-Jan-13 19:12:45

Susie Thanks for the advice regards side effects. I am on day 3 and really struggling with the anxiety side effects, it's good to hear from someone who has come out the other side. smile

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 19:14:27

Kr15, if you are having a bad day, come onto the thread and have a good old moan if you want smile. This thread is about advice, support and more than anything, to try and bright the spirits of its' posters if they're feeling down.

Kr15 Wed 02-Jan-13 19:27:19

packit
I find it so hard to put into words how I feel or even why I feel the way I do. I have managed to go to work today which is positive however my mood at work wasn't brilliant and had horrible thoughts about what I want to do to colleagues that piss me off, then I feel guilty and panic because I have had those thoughts, it's like I am evil pretending to be ok in the real world. Then to make up for the bad thoughts all I can think about is harming myself as punishment. Feel very alone, I am trying to convince myself that it's all worth it. sad

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 19:27:51

The thing is, as much as it may seem that your symptoms get worse or stay the same, sometimes setting achievable daily goals to reach is the way forward. For instance, writing a list of 'Must Do' goals to reach, such as getting out of bed, getting changed before going downstairs etc, may help you to establish a routine that can be tweaked here and there to suit your changing needs.

Other goals like going out to the shops may bring you out in a cold sweat, but if you do that and get back home without too much hassle, then you can be very proud of your achievement. Not only that, but if you look at it logically, you may find that the positives of the trip, outweighed the negatives. You may also find that the negatives could well be coming from you anxiety rather than the actual negatives of the outing IYSWIM.

I can't tell you to keep taking the AD, that's totally up to you, but sometime things will get worse before they get better, and you have to weigh up the advantages of taking the AD long term, and compare it with the long term positives smile.

Kr15 Wed 02-Jan-13 19:36:29

I am definately gonna keep taking the AD at least for 4 weeks unless of course the doc makes another decision. I know the long term via. Could be so beneficial. Thanks for words of encouragement.

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 19:57:20

It's OK to have nasty thoughts like you've had about your colleagues, but you mustn't do anything about them. Those thoughts you're having are just that, thoughts, not physical actions. You shouldn't feel guilty about your nasty thoughts because they cannot do you any physical harm. It's only if you were to act them out and actually hurt someone that you should be feeling guilty.

As for self harming, whenever you have these feelings about doing it, refuse to follow through with actions. I used to have thoughts about self harming, but I found a technique that helped me cope with the feelings. I decided that every time I felt like harming, I imagined myself facing the thoughts and telling them "You think you can get me to do as you say? Not a chance", then I just got on with whatever I was doing. I also imagined myself chasing the thoughts away with a broom, Nora Batty style grin, and again, I got on with something to take my mind off IYSWIM.

If you want to try using these techniques, then feel free, and I hope they work for you, if you do use them.

Kr15 Wed 02-Jan-13 20:17:15

Thanks I will give your techniques a try. thanks smile

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 21:24:17

Your welcome Kr15. And thanks for the flowers smile.

I was thinking a bit about life and anxiety, and I remember being at a talk on anxiety. I remember that the lecture emphasised that no-one ever died from anxiety. So although it may make you not want to go out, it won't kill you smile. Another thing is that sometimes, we just need to accept, fully, that there will be things in life that will make us feel like shit.

When life gets very tough for me, that's when my steely determination and focus kick in. I sometimes sit back and think about how harsh life can be. I use music therapy and the 2 songs I love to listen to for inspiration and determination are Russel Watson Where My Heart Will Take Me (the theme tune to Star Trek Enterprise) and Westlife's You Raise Me Up. They are the most inspirational songs I have ever come across. They also help me improve my moods.

PackItInNow Wed 02-Jan-13 21:28:13

Am off to bed now as I'm soooo tired, so take care all you good ladies and I'll be back tomorrow evening at some point smile.

Kr15 Wed 02-Jan-13 22:29:18

PACKIT you are an inspiration. smile

Shaky Wed 02-Jan-13 23:57:36

Happy new year everyone! I'm sorry it's late.
Ds has gone back to nursery today, I've had a mad busy day, taking down the Xmas decks, packing away the tree, finding homes for the presents, brushing and mopping floors, loads of washing done, bed changed, bins emptied, recycling sorted, bathroom cleaned.

<eyes up kitchen as tomorrow's job>

Thank you everyone for such a lovely, understanding place to post about our illnesses and our recovery and how it affects us on a daily basis. I really don't think people out there --------------------->
Have any idea,unless they have been there themselves. MWAH! To everyone xxx

HeartOfDixie Thu 03-Jan-13 07:06:39

Hello everyone. pack thank you for asking after me,

Until today I was plodding along getting through the day hour by hour but its my first day back at work today. Eeek having a major wobble, couldnot face the shower so feel skuzzy, no make up on, hair not done. It took all my energy to get up for the alarm clock. Really scared how I am going to cope and function for a whole day at work. This depression illness is so difficult to fight and live with sometimes.

PackItInNow Thu 03-Jan-13 15:00:10

Afternoon ladies smile. How is everyone?

Heart, I think the best thing for you to do with your depression is accept that you'll have it for a while, but you will get better and will also feel better. It just takes time. We also need to accept and come to terms with conditions such as depression, in order to move on.

I think half our problem is that we would like to see overnight results, but that is setting yourself up for a fall when those expected results don't happen. This can also lead to a slightly more depressed mood.

A wise old woman once told me that the best things are worth having patience for. Be that saving up for a new expensive car, or just waiting to see results of the AD's you may be taking. Life requires patience, in general, because AFAIK there are no AD's that produce happiness in 24hrs.

The one thing I will reiterate is to get plenty of fresh air, healthy food and lots of chocolate grin.

PackItInNow Thu 03-Jan-13 15:04:37

Kr15, how are you doing with the Nora Batty technique [grin}? I'm sure once you get into the swing of things, you may even find it funny. I had to add good ole Nora into it for the hilarity factor.

HeartOfDixie Thu 03-Jan-13 15:59:38

Funnily enough work not at as bad as I thought it would be. I am exhausted but I think my brain enjoyed thinking about things other than misery and worries. I made myself go for a walk at lunch time which was very pleasant. I never take my lunch break but am going to change that habit from now on, especially as walk goes past a lovely artisan choc shop!

PackItInNow Thu 03-Jan-13 17:07:35

Glad to hear that work isn't as bad as you thought. Sometimes we just need a break from the old routine to help us figure out a new one to keep us refreshed in our thinking.

Kr15 Thu 03-Jan-13 17:52:17

Hi pack
Nora batty worked for about an hour last night but then I gave in. Feel guilty today so having an irritable low day. Thanks for asking though.

kr15 sorry you are feeling so low, I struggle with self harm as well. Sometimes it helps me to think I won't self harm now, but I will in an hour, and then after an hour I think I will wait another hour etc. Waiting it out can help.

Well my DH has gone back to work, it is nice to have the house a bit more peaceful. My CPN cancelled our appointment today which was a bit rubbish but she can't help being sick! I feel really shit, trying to push it all down and away, and failing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now