Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Has PND / anxiety changed you?

(14 Posts)
PackItInNow Thu 22-Nov-12 16:34:00

If anything, my fear is worse now than what it was before I had the AD's and counselling/CBT. The only thing the AD's did was make me sleepy.

Lottieloulou Thu 22-Nov-12 10:13:54

Mrshelsbels thanks. The problem is I do remember the focused, balanced person I used to be. Not the tearful, anxious, negative wreck I have become,

Lottieloulou Thu 22-Nov-12 08:00:03

Packitin.
I too had great births and pregnancies but still a fear of being pregnant again. Got to the bottom of it with excellent psychologist doing EMDR for trauma. Trauma iny case was not the birth but actually the experience of the first 6mths or do with a new young baby and dreadful in diagnosed pnd. I barely think about that experience now. Completely desensitised to it

It sounds like you're not out of this episode yet. I've suffered depression all my adult life & have episodes of depression when I can barely function at all. When I'm not having these I cope ok, although always at the back of my mind is the thought that another episode could be on its way.

I can't say whether it's changed me as I don't know what I'd have been like without the depression as I was first diagnosed at 16.

You will get there though & will find ways to manage. Hugs.

PackItInNow Thu 22-Nov-12 07:52:09

I couldn't bear being pregnant again. I had great pregnancies and excellent deliveries, so I don't know what sparked it off. I have had counselling and been on loads of different AD's for it, but nothing worked.

Lottieloulou Wed 21-Nov-12 21:07:05

Thx bearandcub

Kizzie, are you out there? You always were very rational and helpful in the past

Lottieloulou Wed 21-Nov-12 21:06:07

yy to fear of pregnancy but I have been treated very effectively for that!

PackItInNow Wed 21-Nov-12 19:57:50

Never heard of breaking down big stresses into little steps, but it makes sense. I hope it works for you and you find things a bit easier and less anxiety-inducing.

PackItInNow Wed 21-Nov-12 19:55:23

Yes, it changed me in such a way that I have an irrational fear of getting pregnant again. Even the thought of being pregnant gives me the shivers.

Bearandcub Wed 21-Nov-12 19:12:57

Also, help me out here, but isn't the thing to do with catastrophising stress is to break it down and take small steps?

Bearandcub Wed 21-Nov-12 19:11:03

Ok so maybe go back over your notes in counselling be they handheld or from memory; what did they say you had to do re coping and remaining calm and strong?

Do you want to write about what had stressed you out? Perhaps the process will help you get some perspective or perhaps MN can come up with some practical solutions.

Lottieloulou Wed 21-Nov-12 18:54:42

ADs still, lots of counselling, psychiatrist, GP, psychologist

And I'm still not able to sort myself out.

Bearandcub Wed 21-Nov-12 18:52:06

I'm still going through it but tbh I'm not sure it was the PND that changed me more the having kids, maternity leave, hormonal mess, brain-drained wreck that impacted more. Sorry that's not v helpful is it?

It does get easier apparently. Returning to work and dealing with the stress. How did you treat your PND/Anxiety? ADs? CBT?

Lottieloulou Wed 21-Nov-12 18:45:04

It has changed me and I am struggling to adapt to the new me. I no longer have the strength to deal with the stresses of the job. After a silly incident at work on Monday I have spent the past through days on and off in tears about it, totally catastrophic thinking. Anxiety about work next Monday is crippling me (work p/t). Can't see how I will ever be strong enough to do the level of work I did pre 'depression' and that upsets me hugely which just escalates the anxiety and stress etc.

How have you adapted to the new you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now