Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Weight gain

(2 Posts)
HtotheS Fri 16-Nov-12 18:16:04

Do Risperidone and lithium cause weight gain?

I became ill after having my baby and I've never been able to shift the weight

I don't exercise (other than walk)

Any advice??

Crawling Sun 18-Nov-12 16:50:24

Yes they can all mood stabilize and anti psych can. Anti pychs are worse according to my psychiatrist they cause weight gain because they are dopamine inhibitors and when they inhibit the dopamine your body will then crave dopamine and the easiest way to get dopamine is through chocolate and take away. My psychiatrist said the cravings may drop if you do other activities which stimulate the dopamine receptors like sex and exercize. But i personally also find mood stabilizes like lithium cause less weight gain than anti pychs like risperidone i sadly find anti pychs more effective so i guess ill be fat and sane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now