Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia - my worst nightmare

(1000 Posts)
zonedout Fri 09-Nov-12 18:09:02

Ds1 goes to a school set on several different sites. Today one of the sites has been closed for deep cleaning due to norovirus wiping out hundreds of children this week. There are loads of siblings in ds1's building/class and 8 of his classmates were off today.

I am a single parent (really outing myself here!) and terrified of what feels completely inevitable right now. I was awake all night last night, waiting. Shall be doing the same again tonight.

You know, I feel like I have improved a lot with my emetophobia recently. I am no longer worried about the odd v. It's the awful, debilitating violence of noro that terrifies the life out of me.

The waiting is utter torture sad

Marne Mon 10-Dec-12 19:39:56

Santa- this happened to one of dd1's friends in the summer (a girl was sick on the boy sat next to her) and the boy that was V on did not catch the bug and neither did anyone sat near by. Hopfully it will be the same for youe ds's friend and your ds. I always worry that this would happen to my dd's and the school would send her clothes home complete with V ( i would have to bin them ).

I think with the flue bugs some people are more prone to being sick (often people who are not too bothered about it), i felt sick with it but took tablets and was fine (just felt like death).

roundabout1 Mon 10-Dec-12 20:55:46

santa - the same happened to my dd twice (once she was got sick on her shoes, the other time her neighbour was covered) & both times she was fine. I understand why you would be worried though, I would be too!

Well I am still feeling rubbish, kind of fluey but not at deaths door like you often feel with them, sicky but feeling hungry too. I just want to know if I'm going to be ill or not so at least I can get it over with! We were at the hospital today, I took the special medical wipes that kill almost eveyrthing including noro & wiped our hands, my bag, phone etc. When I was there I wasn't worried about it at all it's just afterwards & I'm thinking what I could have caught. Oh well, it was a productive hospital appointment anyway whatever happens!

devilinside Mon 10-Dec-12 22:59:53

I've noticed some people Vomit when they have a high temperature, (fortunately, not my children, so far) Seems to be a lot more fluey illnesses than noro at the moment (touch wood)

Marne Tue 11-Dec-12 14:17:33

Dd2 used to vomit with a high temp (she doesn't seem to do it as much anymore) and was sick with chicken pox. Flu can also make you feel dizzy which can make you sick (but i think people like us are not as likely to be sick with it).

Theres quite a few people on fb posting about there kids being sick so i am on edge and counting down the last weeka nd a half at school (so then i can shut us all inside).

We have just been christmas shopping and i find myself looking at people and thinking ' i wonder if they are ill?' and i try my best to be careful when opening doors or try and walk out the shop behind someone so they open it for me and i dont have to touch it. Had to use a public loo and managed to open and close the doo with my little finger (and then washed it off). I feel like i'm going mad sad. So pleased my shopping is now done so i dont have to go out until i do my food shop.

corblimeymadam Tue 11-Dec-12 22:49:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lulu1971 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:08:16

Hello bb!! I'm here too, struggling to be positive and not doing a very good job to be honest. Last week dp had the bug, yesterday ds complained of tummy ache but nothing else, but i too feel very shaky and on edge. I just can't escape from it. GP gave me 10 sleeping pills and I'm so tempted to take one but I've had three in a row since i got them and must have a night off them!

devilinside Tue 11-Dec-12 23:13:44

Hang in there girls, only a week and a half until Xmas, and we can have ourselves a little 'noro' break

lulu1971 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:21:08

can i just ask whether any of you have actually found decent medical help for this sodding phobia and whether any of you have been prescribed strong anti emetics? I sympathise with every single one of you and i wouldn't wish this on anyone x

reastie Wed 12-Dec-12 07:08:10

Belgian it's nearly holidays <repeats as a mantra> . I understand how miserable you must be feeling sad

Marne glad your shopping is now done. I did all of mine online, including prebooking online christmas supermarket shopping so I don't have to venture out, so you're doing better than me.

lulu I had an assessment privately with a psychiatrist last week - it was the first professional I've seen who seems to have understood me in any way. I've seen other people who have said they can 'cure' me (including curing me very quickly etc) and they haven't. It's made me quite jaded to believe a therapist and have faith in them tbh. I think this phobia is quite a complex and difficult to treat one. More so than other phobias typical just my luck . I have an appointment today with a psychologist whom was recommended by the psychiatrist. I'm keeping everything crossed she can help me as I'm desperate! Will let you know how I get on.

liveinazoo Wed 12-Dec-12 11:29:18

lulu im in therapy
a year ago i couldnt even look at the word vomit written on a bit of paper,wouldnt touch it etc

5 weeks ago i managed to deal ds threw up<lost it when the girls then succuumbed,together<shudders at teh the memory>

i do feel ive made progress though<even though i fighting with all my usual"preventive behaviourswhich then end up making me feel like im going n uts under a sea of rituals and habitssad

i have a lot of trust in my therapist,although yesterday he briefly looked very sad he is still not "fixed" root causes
he believes the answer is there somewhere and i have to believe it too.i dont want to be like this and as ive had this such a long time i dont expect a quick fix..he is a bit confused though as the science of cbt says i should be experiencing some reduction at least in the habit forming part of my psyche
we plod on and at least i can vent all my frustrations,cry endless tears and come away calmer and focused<at least for a few days>

ideally i could do with him at my side throughout a winter i think ,that little rational voice in my ear keeping me on track!ha ha

i am determined and in the meantime i plod on
tomorrow i have to take ds to the hospital for a blood test then i am forcing myself into town to buy wrapping paper<gulp>

Marne Wed 12-Dec-12 13:46:16

I have dd1 home from school, this morning she said she felt poorly but i got her dressed and drove her to school, she then said her tummy hurt and said 'you dont want me being sick at school mummy', i was tempted to say 'well at least if you do it at school i wont have to deal with it' smile, anyway she seems ok now and has eaten her lunch so will be going back in tomorrow.

I wish i didn't have to do the christmas food shop but i cant get a delivery slot anywhere sad so will have to venture out and buy turkey before christmas.

devilinside Wed 12-Dec-12 17:40:17

Oh Marne that sounds scary, glad your DD was ok.

roundabout1 Wed 12-Dec-12 19:12:30

I am having a bit of a panic here. Have felt very yuck the past few days, a bit fluey, achey & a bit sick, comes on suddenly but feel hungry with it too. Well today I have felt a bit better & been busy, cooked a proper meal for once tonight & felt very sick beforehand, I suffer with dizziness so often get this if hungry. not drank enough (I was both) had meal & then felt sick again & bloated, then dd1 said she felt sick too. We were both at the hospital on monday for her appointment. Well after a 10 min lie down she felt ok, I have taken a Motillium & the sick feeling has gone abit but feel very bloated. The chances are this is nothing, just the virus I have, think dd had it last week. I know this but neverthless am panicking. Not helped as dd told me someone went home today after being sick, although she doesn't think they were actually sick just pretended to be. Oh I hate this sad

Marne Wed 12-Dec-12 19:32:50

Hopfully its nothing roundabout, i have had similar symptoms with this fluey thing and it seems to have lasted a while (on and off), fingers crossed you will be ok.

Noticed a child off from dd2's class today (saw him in the playground at pick up time picking up his brother) and my mind starts questioning 'what could be wrong with him' (crossing my fingers its a cold of flu). I will be so pleased when next week is out the way.

Dd1 seems to be ok, not qiute right but hasnt been sick and seems to be eating ok.

roundabout1 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:26:38

marne - thank you, feeling lots better now, not right but not as bad as I was.
Glad dd1 seems ok now, there seem to be lots of strange viruses around at the moment as well as very bad colds but like you I assume they've been sick!

stef06 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:31:30

My sons said tonight his stomach hurts and yet again I panic thinking he's going to be sick, his grandma picked him up from school yesterday and apparently one of the little girls shouted my ds and said I feel sick I noticed she was in school today and though to myself I hope she hasn't been sick sad. My auntie asked me to go round to see her today she said she had a cold on the phone so I was ok, when I got there she said her husband had had v&d Saturday night they were away from home so e wasn't sick in the house what are the chances of catching it? I hate this fear!! I'm finding it harder to cope than ever this year :'(

corblimeymadam Wed 12-Dec-12 23:36:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lulu1971 Thu 13-Dec-12 08:35:31

Hi stef it's interesting to hear that you're finding it harder to cope this year because so am i strangely and i don't know why. i desperately want to keep my dcs off school next thu and fri so we can hopefully be well for xmas, but its so wrong. hope you're all managing!

Marne Thu 13-Dec-12 09:05:51

lulu- i am the same about keeping the dc's at home (i dont want them being ill for christmas).

Just sat down after the school run, turned on the tv and there it is on the news, apparently noro is the worst it has been for 5 years and 100's of 1000's of people have already been effected, apparently it doesn't usualy peak until jan of feb. I am hoping it has already peaked. Why dont they hury up with the vaccine?

roundabout1 Thu 13-Dec-12 09:40:26

Panicking here, dd1 got up had breakfast & was fine, came upstairs and 5 mins later she is dry retching over a bowl looking grey. Last week she was unwell & I assumed she had same bug as me but she has a post viral illness/poss chronic fatigue so is hard to tell as she feels that way normally. Apparently yesterday a classmate kept rushing off to the toilets saying she felt sick but was never sick. I dont know what to think, tbh this could just be her usual illness playing up as she feels sick with that, never normally retches though although she had had hot chocolate and a huge breakfast confused

Marne Thu 13-Dec-12 09:47:53

Has she got a dry cough roundabout? i had this last week where i had a tickle in my throat, slight cough which made me retch. I would say 'if she has eaten breakfast and not brought any of it back up that it probably isnt a tummy bug, more likely to be something else'. I hope she's ok and at least she's old enough to go and get a bucket to retch into (i look forward to the day my dd's can do that instead of just being sick everywhere).

roundabout1 Thu 13-Dec-12 10:35:05

marne - no she hasn't a cough, she hasn't bee sick yet & has stopped retching but looks dreadful. Her face has all puffed up & dark shadows under her eyes which always happen when her post viral symptoms start up. She says she feels really sick though.

Marne Thu 13-Dec-12 10:48:25

Poor thing sad, how old is she? (just wondering if theres anything she can take), hope she feels better soon and its not a bug (just post viral).

Just saw more noro talk on th TV (on 'this morning') and they said the amount of cases would be halfed if everyone washed there hands more. Apparently most hospitals have wards closed due to noro, i'm so peased i dont have any hospital appointments until after christmas (hopfuly it would have died down a bit by then).

roundabout1 Thu 13-Dec-12 19:22:25

marne - she is 7 and she's much better this afternoon so I think it was probably her normal poorliness tbh. She has a few good days but tends to get overexcited & has a burn out & then is worse. She has been eating fine & wanted (but didn't get) chips for tea!

We have to go back to hospital to get dd1 some more blood tests, am waiting for an appointment. If it comes through before xmas I will be saying can't go. I would just be worrying about catching it from there and ruining Christmas day.

Marne Thu 13-Dec-12 19:49:53

Glad she's feeling better xx

Dd1 came home and said a girls had been sick at school yesterday (when dd1 was off) and was back in school today, dd1 has begun to panick about these things too sad, i found myself telling her that 'it probably wasn't a bug if she was well enough to come back to school and maybe it was something els' even though inside i was panicking. Dd1 said the girl was sick in the toilets (not in the classroom) so i reminded her how important it was to wash he hands after going to the loo.

Dd2 came out of school with her TA and TA said 'we had to send another child home ill today' so i panicked until she said 'the child had a head ache and sore throat' (apparently there are a few children off with flu symptoms), just hope to god there is not a d&v outbreak before christmas (or any other time but will be less stressed when christmas is out of the way).

This thread is not accepting new messages.