Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Cilalopram...

(514 Posts)
YommyMommy Fri 26-Oct-12 14:25:29

I can only handle positive stories right now please smile

I have started on 10mg today for anxiety and depression. I'm do relived to b getting some help and looking forward to feeling like myself...I know it won't work over night but would love to hear success stories!

X x

Hi all, another good day here. I think I am definitely evened out although I am still suffering with a problem which I describe as feeling like I am on the outside looking in when I meet a friend. It actually happened with DD the other day which I thought was odd as I presumed it was an anxiety thing.

CuriousMama Mon 26-Nov-12 19:04:43

Arcadia it's that and also been breathless when going upstairs. Plus the family history is poor with regards to heart disease.

Glad you're feeling relaxed smile I hope you can sort out the meds so you're not so tired during the day?

I've had a nice evening up to now. DS1 made some cheesy bread. It's like garlic bread but I'd used all the garlic in our bolognaise so it was just butter and cheese. You cook it in a brownie tin as it's quite thick. Ever so heart healthy wink It's so gorgeous though worth it as a treat. DS1 was so proud of himself smile
That's the bread although ours had no thyme on or garlic.

Have a great night all.

Arcadia Mon 26-Nov-12 20:38:06

that looks delicious CuriousMama , everyone seems to have the baking bug ATM, combination of great British bake off and bad weather probably!

CuriousMama Mon 26-Nov-12 21:10:11

Oh it's far too delicious. I haven't watched the bake off but we're always cooking something here. I'm glad dss are into it too helps me and dp out smile

Arcadia Mon 26-Nov-12 21:47:55

I didn't watch it either (don't see the point when you can't taste it!) but it's definitely popular. I don't get this cupcake fad thought, I find them sickly!

Arcadia Mon 26-Nov-12 21:48:26

Sorry though

YommyMommy Tue 27-Nov-12 09:05:34

Morning ladies,

Well that's my long weekend over, back at work today! My straighteners are broken in that they have a loose wire so I have to hold the cable in and wait for them to heat up the quickly do a little bit of hair, lol!! It's a nightmare as I have a lot of hair and it needs straightened!!

I love hearing about all ur cooking curious! We're not big on cooking in my house, but we do love good food!! I bake with the boys, but it's mainly packet cup cakes blush

Hope you all have a nice day! I forgot to bring my little happy pill to work this morning and am wondering if I should head home n get it?? Other wise I won't b able to take it until about 6 tonight n I'm worried it might affect my sleep...what do you think?? X x

Brices Tue 27-Nov-12 15:28:13

Hi all
Been a while now but thought I'd post that I'm changing from citalopram to venlafaxine. I spent two weeks in 10mg then two weeks at 20mg but still no improvement. So hoping the new one is better. I hope we are all feeling a lot better for Christmas. I'm going to have counselling too and the health visitor has been round and will continue for a few weeks. They think it's more anxiety. I'm writing down what the DC eat and activities so the HV can go through. I think it's mainly to reassure me that I'm looking after them ok. In my head it doesn't feel like it.
Good idea to get an ECG curious just to be on the safe side, hope it turns out well for you.
Sorry to be a downer on the citalopram thread but shows we're all individual and sometimes need to keep going back to get right eh?

YommyMommy Tue 27-Nov-12 16:32:29

Hi Brices,

Sorry to hear cItalopram didn't work for you sad hopefully these now ones will b much better for you! I can't say it's working wonders, but I think it's def taking the edge off. I'm still on 10mg though...

X x

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Tue 27-Nov-12 17:08:19

Has anyone gone over 20mg? I am feeling very tired and fed up, and still a bit anxious. I'm supposed to be back in work next week, which I'm not sure I can cope with. However, being at home all the time is sending me into a huge funk. I don't know whether I need a higher dose.

YommyMommy Tue 27-Nov-12 18:30:46

Hi kinky,

I think people can go right up to 40mg.

I find work is a bit of a distraction! It's saves me from sitting at home dwelling on things! X x

Arcadia Tue 27-Nov-12 18:34:44

Kinky I have looked back at your former posts and you've only been taking them for two and a half weeks, haven't you? If so maybe give it a bit longer before going up, as it can take six weeks to take effect. I know it is hard waiting though. I just want to feel better NOW!

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Tue 27-Nov-12 19:52:16

Thanks Arcadia - it feels like I've been taking them a long time! I'm quite low today though.

Yommy work is the major contributing factor to how I am at the moment, and I know it will be stressful going back. However, I know another week, or even month, off won't change that. Sigh. I know what you mean about it being a distraction - it really is - but it will also bring a lot of worry/difficulty too.

thanks both of you - I do appreciate the replies. smile

YommyMommy Tue 27-Nov-12 20:51:37

I can totally understand that kinky!! Anxiety is a real bastard at times...but only way to get over it is to face it. angry

My mood has been quite low today too, but has picked up this evening. Def being at home with my boys and realising how blessed I am grin

Was also wondering of AD's has made anyone else skin spotty?? Hmmm?? I'm beginning to feel like a teenager again blush

Hope everyone is having a nice evening! X x

Morning all, having been on them twice now, both times they have taken 6 weeks before I felt better. So much better that yesterday I cleared out some kitchen cupboards! Instead of sitting on my arse all afternoon. So I too would recommend you take them for longer Brices, you will also find any side effects you had will lessen (mine were stiff jaw, tiredness, night waking, clenched hands). Am still night waking but just once and going back off quickly.

Hi YM, no spots here but ai know it can be a 'time of life' thing but apologies if you are not of that age!

CuriousMama Wed 28-Nov-12 08:35:37

Morning all,

Well I've been up since 4am. I visited exmil yesterday, she's in a hospital supposedly for respite hmm but it's awful. She's stuck in a booth area and it's so noisy. She has a tv which is one good thing and ds1 gave her his headphones because the wire on them was very long so could reach the tv ok. Her neighbour complains about noise so can't blame her now. It's really upset me seeing her in there. She's still very with it, no sign of dementia. Her son, exdh is in the USA on holiday until the 5th. Her other son is totally shite. Only there when in need of cash. Can't visit as he has a deadline angry I just wish she lived near to me I'd be there all the time.
I've had a look at care homes near to her. I found one that looks nice so will tell her about it. She didn't fancy the idea of it but now she's in that place she may rethink? At least she'll be nursed. Plus she'd have her own room. She has money in the bank and her own home so can pick and choose really. The 'd's who never visits will panic if she does go in one though.

So that was my day yesterday. I hope everyone else has a decent day. Kinky give them a bit longer or maybe ask your GP to ring you or get in to see them? Hows your dd doing? A friend of mine was on 60mg! She's a big girl though not sure if that had anything to do with it?

Take care all.

CuriousMama Wed 28-Nov-12 08:37:36

Oh and YM funny you should mention spots. I've got them too? I have AF at the moment but I don't usually get so many spots, maybe one or two? Very strange.

YommyMommy Wed 28-Nov-12 09:05:18

Morning ladies,

Well another day another dollar! I am so tired these past few days, it's driving me nuts. I'm going to give the meds to week 6 and hopefully I'll notice a big difference.

Interesting you should mention weight and does as I asked CPN about staying at 10...she said she thought 20 would b better but as I am quite small 10 might b okay so maybe if the person is larger a bigger dose might b required. Although I read that 60 is not been proven to have any more affect than 40.

Sorry to hear about XMil curious. She obviously means a lot to you! She's lucky to have you around as her DS sound like a nightmare angry I hope my DS's don't turn out that way!

X x

YommyMommy Wed 28-Nov-12 09:07:00

Second hand,

I will b at week six next week so I really hope the tiredness lessens. I think this is the worst side effect! X x

CuriousMama Wed 28-Nov-12 14:21:39

Sorry you're so tired YM. What sort of snacks do you have? Have you tried energy boosting foods? If you get a chance to have a child free day why not just rest all day? I'm an expert at that grin

Dp's making bread now, he said he wants to join our club. I've got loads to do as have friends over for a meal tomorrow night and have tidying to do. I just need to get motivated.

CuriousMama Wed 28-Nov-12 14:22:33

Brices I hope your new meds work?

YommyMommy Wed 28-Nov-12 16:38:33

Hi curious, do you know after all my moaning I haven't been as tired today, lol!! I had a course with work this afternoon so I'm home already grin

Although i'm not so pleased to report that I have an ikey tummy! sad lol!! X x

Just back from the doc, she has given my prescriptions for the next 6 months. She said the tiredness is the last symptom to lift but apart from that she was really pleased with me. She did one of those depression score things and I did much better. She thinks my feelings of detachment might be to do with my low self esteem.

YommyMommy Wed 28-Nov-12 18:01:47

That's all sounding really positive second smile that's good you have 6 month prescription!! No more traipsing back and forth! grin x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now