Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Advice for bipolar

(3 Posts)
balletmoo Sat 13-Oct-12 16:17:05

Hello all,

I'm after some advice, and I hope some of you may be able to help.

A close family friend is behaving very strangely and I think she could use some help but I'm not sure how to approach it with her.

I'll explain: I have some experience of bipolar disorder and it strikes me that she is suffering a manic episode and I am worried about the implications of her actions if she continues. She had a breakdown last year but I am not sure if she is in regular contact with her CMHT.

My grandmother and mother know her very well and speak to her frequently. I speak to her very rarely and if i did mention itsound might feel we have been "gossiping" about her, so I hoped my mother might be able to broach the subject with her... But she isn't. Nor is my gran.

So I am a but stuck. Who do I talk to to encourage her to see/call her crisis team, or at least her GP? I don't want to aggrevate matters and increase her frustrations but equally I am not happy to watch her continue down a path that could see her lose her house...

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks!

InThePeanuts Sat 13-Oct-12 22:22:27

Try here. I've spent most of my evening on this site and have found it helpful; it covers how to broach with someone that they might be unwell. Hope it helps.

balletmoo Sun 14-Oct-12 09:34:44

What a brilliant site InthePeanuts! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now