Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other ADs support thread

(991 Posts)
hathorinareddress Sat 31-Mar-12 11:13:25

Following on from a suggestion by LittleWhiteMice on a thread I have going on here, I am starting a support thread for anyone taking Sertraline or any other AD.

I started taking it yesterday after eventually plucking up the courage to go to the doc on Thursday.

I feel a bit weird but not too bad.

<you better all come on here now I started this>

<needy>

BrewsterTheTerrible Fri 15-Mar-13 13:23:50

On Day 5 of Sertraline, and apart from feeling knackered the whole time, also complete loss of appetite. Does anyone know how long this goes on?

Not massively worried about it 'coz frankly I could do with losing some weight, but added to insomnia and general fatigue, I'm worried about becoming pathetically weak.

twolittlekings Fri 01-Mar-13 18:30:56

Hello,

Just wanted to see how you are all doing. Still off work and still on escitalopram (most days!!) but still worried about being on it. Health anxiety still there but waiting for sessions with a psychologist (finally). This is so rubbish and I just can't wait to get bettersad

Would live to hear from anyone ..

johnnybear71 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:15:34

I've been taken off Escitalopram and put on sertraline and after reading this thread I'm a little worried....I don't have a good relationship with the GP and feel like I'm being heard by them...

suziejt Wed 13-Feb-13 19:52:55

hi i am on day 16 of taking 50mg sertraline and am wondering how long the headaches and teeth clenching go on for don't know how much longer i can cope ...

clarew3007 Wed 13-Feb-13 02:40:46

hi. i am on day 6 of 50mg sertraline.i am feeling so sick i can barely lift myself off sofa.i have a 6 yr old daughter to look after and take to school but i have been unable to as iv felt so ill. doc prescribed sertraline for panic disorder,depression and depersonalisation disorder. i am at the end of my tether.i cant stop crying,feel suicidal and angry at everyone.also my depersonalisation is alot worse.infact i feel like a zombie. will i feel better? i feel so bad i feel like admitting myself...please help sad

Kr15 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:15:46

Hi peeps,
Would just like to say that reading the posts it's good to see how supportive you all are to each other. Right now I could use some of that support, I am on my second day of taking sertraline for the first time. I have had problems for many years and never sought the help I needed however I have got to the stage where I am regularly self harming and know that I need help. I am worried that I am fraud though as I am able to go to work and perform to a high standard in a stressful environment I just can't cope with life outside work and was wondering if anyone else feels this. I'm also worried that takin the meds is gonna interfere with work. Would appreciate any support or feedback.

happygolucky0 Wed 19-Dec-12 17:44:03

Hello all Can anyone give me their experience of Mirtazapine? I started 15mg as am having trouble sleeping. It seems to work but cant wake up very easy in the morning for work. Still look tired even when I have had 9 hours. Whats it like anyone?

TacticalWheelbarrow Fri 07-Dec-12 18:49:17

Sorry here

TacticalWheelbarrow Fri 07-Dec-12 18:48:49

Hi sorry to intrude but I started posting on the other thread but have been a lurker on here blush. The link to the new thread is here. Hope to see you all over there smile

PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 18:18:15

Bloomin hopeless at links. It'll just be the same thread title, but Part 2 at the end. HTH

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Fri 07-Dec-12 15:30:49

cheers for that packitinnow - could you drop a link to it on this page so we can all follow please?

PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:36:59

I'm sure there will be another thread. In fact, I'll start it off as it's a shame to finish this one and not continue supporting each other smile.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Fri 07-Dec-12 13:04:14

afternoon all.
im okish, just so incredibly tired. im going to attempt to get dressed today.

i noticed this is the last page we will be able to post on - is there a plan to start another thread folks?

susiedaisy Fri 07-Dec-12 12:26:46

Hi hope everyone is ok today x

PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 08:34:25

Morning Ladies, how are you all this morning? Hope you all got a decent night's sleep smile.

Trinn you will get there smile. All it takes is for you to take each day as it comes. I'm sure some days will be better than others, but hang in there and you'll get through it.

Shakey, one of the best ways I used to calm down was to imagine the same situation but a friend was going through it instead. It taught me how to see the bigger picture and how not to get angry IYSWIM.

Will be back later folks as I've the wee rascals to take to school and some pressie shopping to do.

Take care.

trinn Thu 06-Dec-12 22:31:11

I'm on day 9 acting like sleepers for me but I feel amazing in the morning not knackered and I wake up on time well kind of, I can answer my mobile when it rings now without being a complete mess before I would let it ring and leave it now though I can answer it and be confident, it's not a quick fix though I wish it was but day by day with baby steps we will get there.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 06-Dec-12 21:47:48

trinn that gives me some hope.....i could do with my confidence to come back.

its day 4 for me. still feeling icky.

trinn Thu 06-Dec-12 21:20:05

Hi packitin what access course are you doing? I was supposed to go on access to nursing this year but it was to uni based and bloody expensive so got a job instead well I have a job just waiting on the crb check to come back.

The tiredness is when I take the tablet normally I go to bed about 1am (before anti d' s) and wake up late and knackered now I take my tablet in the evening and I am falling asleep by now, tonight I am late taking it so still awake.

Has anyone else noticed their confidence returning? or is that just me?

ShakySingsMerryXmasEveryone Thu 06-Dec-12 20:15:23

PackItIn I know how it feels to want to try to just shut out the rest of the world. I do the same thing, some days the TV doesn't even get turned on.

I did ask my boss to speak to occ health regarding the plan. She said that she had spoken to them and then presented me with her version of the plan. She IMPLIED that occ health had agreed to this, when in fact they had said that I should still be office based for the first 2 weeks. The nurse showed me the record of the advice she gave that is documented in my notes. My boss actually told me a bare faced lie and that is why I am overcome with rage. I really wish that I had contacted occ health myself to check what they had said to her, I just took her bloody word for it. angry

I need to calm down again. <takes deep breaths>

PackItInNow Thu 06-Dec-12 19:52:43

Hi Vicar, thanks for replying. I'm on 25mg amitriptyline every night and have been for almost 3wks now. I've decided that I'm going to apologise and cancel with the invited classmate and say I'm shattered. I will be anyway as I take the AD at teatime and am very sleepy by 8pm. If you're not sure, just look at some of my posts and some of the spelling in those posts. Trust me, a psychotic chimp could spell better than me at times grin.

The thing is Vicar I've been feeling quite down. I was ready for sobbing in my last class of the week and my eyes welled up, but I managed to escape the dreaded questions and yawned and made out that I was trying to keep awake. I also sat at the only table where no one else could sit if they wanted a computer as there was only 1 where I was sitting. I just wanted to be on my own but knew it wasn't possible.

I'm determined to press through this and go on to become a Psychologist of all things grin. I'll still be posting here though because if I can help someone on here see life from a different angle, that doesn't seem so bad, then I must be doing the job right smile.

Anyway, I'm off to bed as I'm shattered from the low mood and AD too, so take care of yourselves ladies and I will chat tomorrow (my day off).

PackItInNow Thu 06-Dec-12 19:25:01

Hello Trinn, good to have you here on the thread. You're welcome to natter away with us all. The tiredness shouldn't be getting worse so maybe you should see your GP again and see what they can do for you.

Saying that everyone's individual and so the side effects from drugs are unique to each person. Some will have few/most/all side effects and some people may not have any. There may also be some who experience a side effect that hasn't been put on the leaflet, so it would be worth while letting your GP know so they can let the drug maker know as well.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 06-Dec-12 19:17:07

I wonder if thats just a symptom packitinnow because i can truly relate to how you are feeling - i feel very isolated at work and tend to find myself eating alone etc. i dont seem to be "in the loop" of whats going on within the group, and im sure my absence is probably causing resentments by now.

in your position i would say dont put any pressure on yourself - go with what you feel you want to do.

ive stopped trying so hard actually with colleagues, i was making effort to go to bbqs and parties even though i feel awkward and out of place, and have to travel a long long way as i dont live anywhere near them - ive stopped now and i feel better about it. i arent going to the xmas do, and felt fine about saying no.

i sound such a misery dont i?

but im letting myself off with that - while i feel like this i decided life is too short to stick a fake smile on and pretend. it doesnt help me or do me good. so im doing what i feel i need to do.

Which ADs are you on and how long have you had them? forgive me as i have skimmed the whole thread but not read every post....i hope we are going to have another support thread when this one is full.....im finding it a godsend and very reassuring.

PackItInNow Thu 06-Dec-12 18:57:50

Flippin' Nora, that's a bit of an essay grin.....

PackItInNow Thu 06-Dec-12 18:57:09

Thanks Vicar it was chicken and broccoli pie with charlotte spuds. Was just something different for a change, instead of the same old same old, week in week out.

I said that I missed chatting to you all because in reality, I don't feel like I fit in on the Access course I'm doing. Today I just wanted to be left alone in class. TBH, I was anxious about going in today, but I don't want to take any more time off as I've already had 2 days off with my back and another 1.5 days off with a nasty headache. I'm flippin' annoyed with myself for having so much time off since Sept. I am almost dreading Monday. Instead of taking things day by day, it's at the point where I'm taking it class by class.

Today wasn't so bad as I could plug myself into my MP3 and work away with the music going, but not all classes are like that. I also hate speaking up in class and prefer to keep myself to myself. The unfortunate thing is that I had the intention of inviting a couple of classmates to my birthday drinks and movie night, but I'm now feeling very anxious about having anyone round.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 06-Dec-12 18:29:46

evening packitinnow enjoy your dinner.

im finding my appetite has gone, which probably isnt a bad thing....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now