Exercise stunting weight loss

(4 Posts)
mummarichardson Sun 27-Nov-16 22:23:37

So I am constantly torn between doing exercise and dieting or just dieting. When I exercise I never lose any weight even combined with being super good and being religious with my 5:2. Even though I know that I am toning up I really struggle when I don't see the scales dropping. I am now at what I thought I wanted to be as my target weight 9:7 but I have this psychological block around seeing the scales go down and sometimes they go up! Why is it other people still exercise and lose weight and I can't? Any tips on how I can get past the emphasis on the scales as I really enjoy exercise but it's this pathetic cycle of losing weight starting to exercise and then panicking when I don't lose or gain a pound. Any tips or advice would be great!

griffinsss Sun 27-Nov-16 22:27:30

If you can afford it, I'd go and see a personal trainer who can advise you on how to adapt your diet for exercise (and which exercises obviously...); a lot of people (myself included) tend to overeat after a workout and obviously with that added to the weight gained in muscle tone it won't help you get to your target.

Exercising is always the healthiest option.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 27-Nov-16 22:31:23

I try to measure by a favourite pair of jeans rather than scales. While exercise doesn't make the scales drop it foes make a big difference to how my clothes fit especially jeans. Firmer butt!

mummarichardson Sun 27-Nov-16 22:49:14

Thanks ladies I know logically but think I have been conditioned by being a member of weight loss clubs in the past to put such an emphasis on scales, wish their was a way to reprogram my brain. I am a massive lover of exercise for mental health but only this week I have done a truck load of exercise felt really good then got on the scales and gained a pound and feel shit.

Maybe I need to completely ditch them forever and just go by clothes and mirror?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now