Eat Stop Eat - does it work ?

(6 Posts)
DreamCloud99 Wed 21-Sep-16 20:15:56

I posted a thread yesterday and really appreciated the replies smile

I've completed my first fast day!

I had my last meal at 4pm yesterday and had 0 calories until 4pm today when I had a normal roast dinner with lots of veg .

I will consume 0 calories from 4pm today until 4pm tomorrow when I will be having lasagne.

I won't be weighing myself for about a month .

I just wanted to check if it is likely I will lose weight with 24 hour 0 calorie fasts , 3 times per week ?

It just seems odd that I'm having a normal meal each day when regular 5:2 is only 500 Cals .

Obviously I will be concious of overeating when I eat at 4pm.

Does this sound like a plan ? smile

DreamCloud99 Thu 22-Sep-16 07:06:57

Bump

DreamCloud99 Thu 22-Sep-16 16:07:07

Anyone ? Please ? smile

Like most diets that don't involve counting calories, ESE usually works brilliantly for big men, but results vary for women

ESE weight loss depends on :
1) the size of your 1 meal on those Eat-Stop-Eat days, i.e. whether those 3 days give you a decent calorie deficit.Your meals so far sound sensible
AND
2) whether you stay within TDEE on the other 4 days, so you don't eat back that deficit.

^Comparison ro 5:2^:

For a few people who can't manage 500-cal FDs, I have suggested 1000 cals on Mon+Wed+Fri. 
For someone with 2000 TDEE, these 3 days produce the same 3000 cal weekly deficit as the 2 FDs on 5:2 and usually around the 5:2 average of 1lb weekly loss, BUT only if they eat within TDEE on the other 4 days.

If your TDEE is much lower than 2000 (e.g. if you are short, nearly healthy BMI, middle-aged) then you would lose more slowly unless you cut down more.

DreamCloud99 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:37:35

Thank you for the reply .

I've lost 5lbs in 3 days so far ! grin

Well done on your SV.

The first week of 5:2 or any form of IF often produces a big loss - the record was a man on the BSD losing 19 lb in week 1 ! - especially if your old diet was very carby / sugary.
This big loss is mostly release of retained water. Still important and it reduces inches too, so clothes are looser.

In the following weeks, loss slows down to the longterm rate.
For those with a few stone to lose, this can be 3-4 lb for several weeks. For others this can be 1lb or less
Whatever the rate, the important thing is to stay on track, don't get demotivated. The loss accumulates over weeks & months until you reach goal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now