Back on 5.2 after previous successful loss but now I am just gaining - please help

(3 Posts)
katedan Tue 20-Sep-16 18:57:16

Hi everyone,

I did 5.2 3 years ago and it was great. Lost 10lbs without feeling I was sacrificing too much! I have now started back on it and following exactly the same as last time but each week I am gaining weight instead of losing. I think I am doing ok on non fast days but feeling very frustrated. Last time I did not lie each week as I know it is a slow process but I never gained if I followed the plan. Do you think age plays a part, I was 38 last time but now 41 and people have told me it is harder to lose weight over 40! I would like to lose a stone this time but it is hard to keep motivated! Please advise.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 21-Sep-16 15:02:25

Not sure if this will help but could you cut out all carbs/fat within your 500 cals on the fast day?

Hi Katedan
Most folk find on any WOE that it is harder the 2nd time round (if they have returned to their old WOE and then regained)

3 years won't normally change TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) noticeably EXCEPT you may now be entering peri-menopause.
If so, you will have reduced levels of the hormones estrogen & progesteron, tending to increase insulin levels and possibly cortisol too. This would increase fat storage, especially around your midsection.

So, what worked before, may not work now

Regardless of your meno status, what is often a problem when returning to 5:2 after a long time off is that your "normal eating" - what you now do on NFDs - has increased compared to before.

It is then also common to automatically compensate for the FDs by eating even more than "normal" on NFDs, i.e. eating back the FD deficit.
So, assuming you are soing 2 FDs most weeks:

If you are gaining, or even not losing, then you are eating/drinking too many calories on NFDs

I recommend:
+ Calculate rough calorie aim for NFD: TDEE Calc using the activity level that is one level lower than you think (Mosely's advice) and
+ mfp for a full week, for a reality check on portion size and to find any hidden calorie bombs.
Don't forget to count snacks, lattes, booze

Don't worry; you don't have to mfp all the time, but you must first find out what is going on. Then if necessary, use mfp as a training tool for NFDs

What really helps control NFD intake:
Eat meals , no snacks in between.
Even "healthy" snacks raise insulin levels & hinder fat-burning. They usually increase the total calorie intake in a day.
Have any fruit, veg, "treats" including booze only as part of a meal.

All that is important for FDs:
+ Cut out junk especially sugary crap. Save it for NFDs if you wish
+ Cut out booze, also save for NFDs
+ Go low GI on FDs, i.e. protein, masses of veg, also beans, lentils, optionally add small portions of starchy carbs. No fruit juice, dried fruit or breakfast cereals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now