Fasting for 24 hours rather than set days - will this work ?

(12 Posts)
DreamCloud99 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:24:58

Today was my first fast day .

I say was , because I have inadvertently polished off a full tub of Ben & Jerrys Phish Food shockblush

Can I redeem myself by fasting from now until 1:30pm tomorrow ?

How would this work long term ? Would I get the same benefits if I fasted every 24 hours rather than per day?

Am I making any sense ? confused

DreamCloud99 Mon 19-Sep-16 15:22:29

Bump

Breadandwine Mon 19-Sep-16 23:48:26

Hi Dream

I've been IFing for 4 years, now, so I'm on maintenance.

I don't eat breakfast any more - so I'm practising 16:8. One day a week I also miss lunch, so I fast for 24 hours - but then I eat a full meal. If you were to do the same, but have a <500 cal meal, that would work for you I feel.

But I worked up to this slowly, don't think I could have jumped straight in.

There's also Brad Pilon's 'Eat, Stop, Eat', where he doesn't eat for 24 hours, then eats normally for the next 24, and so on.

Your best bet is to come and join us over on the main 5:2 thread - and check out all the research in the OP.

Good luck! smile

ImperialBlether Mon 19-Sep-16 23:54:59

I remember seeing an interview with Chris Martin where he said he fasted for 24 hours every week. He said it was hard at first but then he felt great.

minatiae Tue 20-Sep-16 00:01:43

Yes, it will work. It is IF and it's actually good for you. No need to do 24h though, 16h fast/8h eating (1500 cals) is enough (this is a legitimate diet plan, look it up). Just don't eat between 6pm and 10am. It's so much easier than 5:2 as you don't feel you're denying yourself food.

DreamCloud99 Tue 20-Sep-16 10:47:09

Thanks for the replies ....

So here's my plan - does this sound ok ?

4pm today I'll have my "last" meal.

I'll then only consume water until 4pm tomorrow at which point I'll have a normal meal (not under 500 Cals - but I'll make it healthy ) .

I'll then not eat again until the following day @ 4pm where I'll have another normal healthy meal .

Am I likely to lose weight with this - technically I'm fasting every 24 hours ?

CalmItKermitt Tue 20-Sep-16 10:50:31

Minutiae - I could easily not eat between 6pm and 10am!
Is that every day?

Paulat2112 Tue 20-Sep-16 10:55:13

Are you on any of the Facebook groups? Lots of support there. Most people doing 5:2 do sleep, fast, sleep, eat for their two days a week, there are obviously many variations so whatever works for you health and weight wise then do that smile

minatiae Tue 20-Sep-16 16:27:26

Kermit yes every day. It's surprisingly easy.

DreamCloud99 Tue 20-Sep-16 16:54:35

minatiae have you lost much weight on that plan ? How quickly ?

I'm wondering if your way might be easier for me to sustain .

Can anyone critique my plan above ? smile

minatiae Tue 20-Sep-16 20:11:48

I'm maintaining weight loss of 1lb a week. So not fast, but healthy. I did a diffeeebt diet 4 years ago and lost 30lbs in 2 months and immediately put it back on again so this time am just taking it slow.

Several Intermittent Fasting protocols are alternatives to 5:2, e.g:

- 16:8 = eating only in a daily 8-hr window
- Fast 5 = daily 5-hr window
- A 22- 24 hr zero-cal fast - from supper to supper - twice per week.
This is Eat Stop Eat (by Brad Pilon).
- Daily eating only supper, called the Warrior Diet.
Popular with some male weightlifters. Since they may have TDEE 4,000 cals they can have a huge meal and still lose pretty easily on this.
Short women who are near healthy BMI need to eat sensibly on this, since a huge meal could exceed their low TDEE

NOTE: all these methods basically achieve weight loss via a weekly calorie deficit
If you eat the same amount of food, just in a shorter time period, it will have little effect on weight.

Many 5:2ers who are big eaters do best combining 5:2 and daily 16:8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now