has anyone actually managed 8 weeks at 800 calories?

(10 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 05-Apr-16 20:24:45

Just that really. It sounds great but I fear I would have to be sent to a desert island to manage it. I have kids and cooking for them as well as managing this might be too stressful, anyone done this?
I'm extremely stressed out ful stop - getting depressed about my weight and lack of any ability to manage to even start a diet let alone stick to it.
I don't know what to do with myself.

givepeasachance Tue 05-Apr-16 20:28:31

I'm not familiar with which diet you are planning but that is an extremely low level of calories for 8 weeks. I think it is unrealistic

If I need to lose a few pounds I go from approx. 1800 cals a day which is my maintenance level to 1200 for a few weeks and that is tough enough!

Not2bObvious Tue 05-Apr-16 20:57:46

You're talking about the blood sugar diet keep, there's a thread on it here. I'm also on another forum (the official bsd site) where quite a few people have managed it & have had extraordinary results. Basically it's a low cal/low carb/protein/high fat (as in no LF) and works very well for people with diabetes or pre-diabetes but is also suitable for people wanting to lose a decent bit of weight. Based on the Mediterranean diet. If you're interested, I'd suggest you read the book as it explains much better than me! I've done 4 weeks, lost nearly 10 pounds but I was probably doing 800-1000 x 5 days, more at weekends but still keeping to the principles, no bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/low fat/biscuits/cake or too much fruit. Protein, veg, fats.
I stopped for a week as was on hols and regained around 3 pound but back on it and have lost them and another 2 in around 1.5 weeks. So 6 weeks from starting I'm about 12 pound down. I'm finding it easier than anything I've done before - hope that helps

Out2pasture Tue 05-Apr-16 21:01:39

keep I've done 900 for a long long time (months)
yes I lost a significant amount of weight but...
it all came back even though a regular day is only 12-1300 cals

keeponkeepinon Tue 05-Apr-16 21:06:12

They sound like great results not esp since you've managed it more flexibly.
I'll have a look at the official forum and see what I can find out. In days gone by, I seem to remember that 1000 calories was the standard amount for a calorie counting diet. One of weight watchers earliest diets was very low cal, seems to be the other way now though. I wonder if our 'diet' allowances on many plans these days was actually nearer the standard intake of a healthier diet in years gone by.

Not2bObvious Tue 05-Apr-16 21:10:17

I definitely think once I get to goal, I'll still need to stay at 800-1000 3-4 days a week. I think you're right though, mainly from the fact that years ago there wasn't as much junk food or probably money for excess food! Snacking didn't exist and people were more active, no cars etc. Best of luck if you feel like trying it, join us on the thread here if you'd like to jump in but the book is definitely work a read

BigChocFrenzy Thu 07-Apr-16 17:51:24

Those 8 weeks need to be low carb Mediteranean, i.e. standard low carb+ beans, lentils, peas, plain yoghurt. So, not any old 800 you fancy.
Human trials by Prof Taylor at Nottingham Uni, funded by Diabetes Uk, found that 8 weeks on 800 cals reversed T2 and pre-T2 in most subjects.
Of course, it also gives rapid weight loss for those who don't have such problems.

Check the official BSD site FAQs to consider if it is suitable for you.

After the 8 weeks, people need to move gradually to maintenance, which is low carb Mediteranean, but more relaxed choices and maintenance calories.
Those with weight still to lose often continue with 2 x 800 days weekly, 5 x maintenance calories, all low carb Med.

Laska5772 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:15:07

Yes, and lost 19lbs!.. Come over to the BSD thread!

keeponkeepinon Thu 07-Apr-16 22:22:18

I think I'll mosey over, just going to bed on day 2 of just shy of 800 calories! All proper food too, no junk here.
Thank you for your comments.

Knottyknitter Thu 07-Apr-16 22:24:50

I'm on week three and 12lb down...

Watch this space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now