Need a bit of 5:2 motivation

(2 Posts)
TheRealMaryMillington Mon 22-Jun-15 11:50:15

Have been intermittent fasting for about a month, plus upping the exercise and clean eating for a couple of weeks before that. I have lost 1 stone of the 3.5 that need to go.

I was meant to be fasting today but I am starving. Bit pre-menstrual I suspect. I haven't quite blown it yet today, but am on the verge. If I blow it today I will have to try tomorrow and the PMT will probs be worse.

What do you do when you're on a fast day but you're not feeling it?

(I have 2 hours of yoga booked this evening so will not want to eat at teatime, think this gives me a head start)

Ugh

BigChocFrenzy Mon 22-Jun-15 17:34:45

Hi Mary Well done on your progress so far.

It's natural to want fatty sugary carby food at totm - all due to changed hormone balance. However, a carbfest will just set up a spiral of cravings and also make you retain water, so you feel even puffier.

On an FD, a teaspoon of Marmite (= 10 cals) from the jar can help: it's a taste of something savoury and also replenishes salt and minerals that may have been excreted with the extra water.
Hot Bovril (also =10 cals) can also be useful.

Eat your full 500 cals on FDs. People usually have better longterm results that way rather than with zero-cal total fasts.

For meals, concentrate on protein and veg, with a bit of fat. A couple of boiled eggs or an omelette are ideal.
I recommend you avoid fruit or any breakfast cereal, as these are high GI and can awake totm cravings.

Get up and walk for a few mins, have a big mug of water, then settle down to perform a task where you need to concentrate.
Just remember you can have it tomorrow

Very good motivation that you are exercising:
I keep reminding myself how uncomfortable and farty I feel if I eat shortly before training.
Try a double espresso 10 mins before exercise, to help mobilise fat stores for burning
I find my hunger dies down soon after I start exercising and stays down for a couple of hours afterwards. Then it's bedtime - an early night is part of healthy FD pampering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now