16:8 and fierce headaches in the morning

(4 Posts)
justwondering72 Fri 11-Jul-14 21:14:20

I've been doing 16:8 for about 10 days now, and it's going great, fits in well with my lifestyle and routine and looks to be something I can live with over the long term.

One problem I am finding is that I have a horrible headache when I wake up, and it doesn't go until I eat something or take painkillers. I presume it is dehydration? I usually finish dinner around 7pm, then have a couple of herbal teas through the evening. I try not to drink too much water as I'll be up all night peeing. I don't feel thirsty when I go to bed, and usually have a sip of water when I stir in the night. In the morning I have a couple of big glasses of water and cup or two of tea / coffee. I wake with a headache and a dry mouth, I drink, it doesn't shift until I eat at lunchtime or cave and have a painkiller before then.

Any ideas? Do I need to drink more in the evening and just resolve myself to peeing through the night?

Cheers

Hi, I've some suggestions which I hope can help
smile
Go for clean eating, just until you are used to fasting:
. Throughout the day, before 7pm, drink extra water. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water before supper.
Any hot drinks or fizz should be extra, not instead of water.
If you've given up caffeine, bring it back - headaches may be withdrawal.
. Cut out / reduce alcohol and any added sugar or sweet treats - cake, chox, bix etc, This will avoid insulin spikes
. Replace simple starches by complex ones, e.g. swap any white bread, rice or pasta for the wholegrain versions. Most people find potato ok though.
Note: if you've switched to low carb, this can cause headaches in the first 2-3 weeks. LC is not necessary for 16:8 u less you prefer it.
. Reduce simple carbs like yoghurt or fruit to maximum one portion each per day.

General IF tips:
. First thing and mid-morning, have a teaspoon of marmite or a tablespoon of soya sauce. This often avoids headaches, possibly because of salt and B-vits.
This totals less than 50 cals, which does not count as breaking the fast (ref. Martin Berkhan of LeanGains) because too few cals to affect insulin levels
and
. Make sure your first and last meal contain plenty of protein.
and
. mfp - you may have too high a calorie deficit compared to your TDEE

TalkinPeace Sat 12-Jul-14 19:38:44

Have a BIG glass of water before you go to sleep.
You won't need to pee in the night as you are waking up dehydrated at the moment.

justwondering72 Tue 22-Jul-14 08:22:15

Just coming back to say, the headaches seem to have passed away. I'm not consciously low carbing, but skipping breakfast means missing what is usually a carb heavy meal, and I am eating a lot less bread etc at other times. So it could well have been that. I have upped the water as well, and more herbal tea in the evening.

Cheers both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now