low TDEEs, is it heightist?

(7 Posts)
livelablove Thu 10-Jul-14 18:23:28

I am 5ft0 and it seems like if I ever made it to my goal weight, my TDEE would be really low. This seems really unfair especially as I just worked out DH is allowed 2900cals. So it is also sexist! Hmm well this diet was popularised by a man (Dr. Mosley!)

TDEE is also ageist !

BreadandWine regained an inch in height by doing pullups, prodded encouraged on the exercise thread. However, very few adults can even attempt pullups. The alternative of a medieval torture rack probably violates Health & Safety regs.

Increasing weight would increase TDEE, not good unless it's muscle.

You probably don't want a sex change operation.

So, the only factor you can change is your exercise level.
At 58 and 5'3" my TDEE would be <1500. However, as a lifelong exerciser, currently 5-6 days per week, my TDEE is actually 2400.

You need to build up exercise gradually. Go for HIIT and strength exercises, as these are the most effective.

livelablove Fri 11-Jul-14 07:28:50

Wow, that's amazing that breadandwine regained an inch! Must have been really good for the spine, which is interesting to me with my back problems. However I think you may be right about the pull Ups.
O.k I guess I am going to have to give this exercise thing of which you speak a go.

Eastpoint Fri 11-Jul-14 07:32:33

I've grown since I was 26, 1 ½ inches. Pilates & not working in an office is my guess. Sadly I've also grown out as well grin

livelablove Fri 11-Jul-14 09:01:41

Haha

livelablove Fri 11-Jul-14 09:03:56

Haha I have always joked I am under tall, not overweight. I am not sure even pilates will help me grow to 6'6 though.

TalkinPeace Sat 12-Jul-14 19:41:32

TDEE does not discriminate.
It just makes us face the reality
eg that I am taller than my DD but being 30 years older have the same TDEE !

but getting fit will make the weight loss easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now