Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

TDEE - does it affect fast day calories?

(5 Posts)
Brassica Wed 09-Jul-14 12:42:27

I presume so, but the commentary everywhere on 5:2 just says to eat 500 calories per fast day. My TDEE comes out as 1550 or so, and I presume I'm meant to eat one quarter of that, rather than 500.

Is that right? Sorry if it's a much-asked question, I can't find any mention on here. Obviously I'm hoping against hope that 500 is the right answer as <400 sounds really hard!

TalkinPeace Wed 09-Jul-14 14:32:09

Brassica
If your TDEE is 1550, then you are very short or have little to lose.
Technically fasts should be 1/4 of TDEE
BUT
For many overweight people, learning to live within their TDEE is such a shock to the system, that 500 is the best number to work with (that and all the recipes are based around 500!)

Brassica Wed 09-Jul-14 16:58:26

Thanks Talkin - yes, I'm fairly short (160cm) and ticked the box for sedentary because I have an office job and never get to the gym. I'd like to lose a stone - my BMI is fractionally under 25 and I carry all my chub round my middle so it seems a good idea to try and lose some of that fat if I can.

You'll lose ok with 500 cal FDs.
Even for small women, it still gives a big calorie deficit.
Women with high TDEE can optionally go to the 25% TDEE - mine is 2400 and I exercise intensively, so I do 600 FDs.

Brassica Wed 09-Jul-14 20:25:51

Ah that's reassuring BigChoc, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now