5:2 and breastfeeding?

(5 Posts)
Queazy Thu 26-Jun-14 21:06:02

I'm still breastfeeding my 9mo three feeds a day. I really need to shift 14lbs and 5:2 diet sounds like it would suit me. Do you think I could do the diet now, or would I need to wait a few months until I've stopped bf? LO doesn't take a bottle, so that isn't an option.

ouryve Thu 26-Jun-14 21:10:10

You should really wait. Fasting may affect your supply, but is even more likely to have you passing out. You'd probably be better off reducing your carb intake and trying to eat as clean as possible, at the moment.

whereisshe Thu 26-Jun-14 21:10:25

It's not recommended. You'll probably still be ok re supply on reduced calorie days (breast milk production is one of the last things to go in famine) but the nutritive quality of the milk will drop in terms of vitamins, minerals etc.

kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/fasting/

Queazy Thu 26-Jun-14 21:20:40

Thanks for your replies, and the link. I think I'll definitely wait then. I hadn't thought of the nutritive quality of my milk changing. I think I need to buy an exercise DVD and stop eating so much!

Labracadabra Thu 26-Jun-14 21:36:24

You'll be fine. There are many people on the main thread (including me!) who are doing 5:2 and bf, many with much younger babies than yours (I.e. not on solids so totally reliant on breastmilk). I started when my DD2 was 8 weeks, I've lost over 2 stone and gone past my target (pre-preg) weight. My milk supply hasn't been affected at all and my DD (now 7 months) is thriving - tracking the 75th centile all the way. Exclusively breastfed until she started solids about a month ago. I do 500 cal fast days (although breastfeeders can have up to 1000 cals on fast days) and have not felt lethargic or faint at all. I also exercise 5-6 days a week (Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - all 3 levels are available free on YouTube). It only takes 25 mins or so and I do it before my DDs wake up and get it out of the way before the day begins. With a 9 month old you will be absolutely fine doing 5:2 and you're likely to be very successful! Good luck, and come and join us on the main thread smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now