Straight answer needed PLEASE!

(14 Posts)
spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:53:42

I have been reading about this plan and wanting to start it tomorrow (need to do food shop).

but my basic question is how many calories am I allowed on fast days? does it vary? if so how do I calculate it?

thank you!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 26-Mar-14 11:55:59

I think it's 500 for a woman.

MorrisZapp Wed 26-Mar-14 11:57:31

spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:59:23

thank you! does anyone have a link of sample day menus? really appreciate the fast replies.

spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:06:00

oh duh .. I see a thread below. I just don't have time to cook from scratch really so is it mostly veg and salad and not so much fruit?

spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:08:58

if I had a low cal ww dinner on fast day after work would that do?

MorrisZapp Wed 26-Mar-14 12:10:47

You can eat anything at all as long as it isn't more than 500 cals.

Packaged food can be helpful as the counting is done for you.

You are going to be hungry, theres no way round that.

spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:15:36

thanks MorrisZap.

spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:16:52

just wish I had a book of all calories for foods handy so I can prepare (used to ww and sw so always had a "bible" handy).

Lots of info on the 5:2 threads. I started three weeks ago. I'm relying a lot on calorie counted ready meals as I find it easy. I tend to use M&S ones.

My Fitness Pal is good for working out calories and keeping track.

HandMini Wed 26-Mar-14 12:32:44

I find that nothing for breakfast, soup for lunch and soup for dinner is the way to go. Check the side of the packet but loads of the Covent Garden ones are around 250/300 for the entire pack. Drink loads of herbal tea. Others will tell you not to, but I drink a Coke Zero on FDs too as a pick me up. I would try not to do anything too complicated as it just gets more of a drain / reason not to do a FD. Good luck. Feeling hungry is something you get used to. It it not painful or's just being hungry!!

plecofjustice Wed 26-Mar-14 13:48:47

Hi Spongebob,

Pasted below is my plan for tomorrow's fast day from MyFitnessPal. It comes in at 547 cals - I don't stick absolutely to 500, and vary between 5-600 on a fast day as it suits my body better. At 500 cals, I feel ill, at 550 I feel fine.

Tofutti - Vegan Cream Cheese, 2 tbsp
Florette - Mixed Salad Bag 1/2 bag
Kallo - Organic Wholegrain Corn Cake, 3 slice

Vegetable Curry, 200 g
Broccoli Florets, 100 g
Alpro Soya - Yoghurt , 125 gram
Stewed Unsweetened Rhubarb, 1 cup

Graze Box - Fruity Mango Chutney, 1 punnet
Fresh Fruit - Moro Blood Orange, 3 g(2" Diameter)

Helliecopter Wed 26-Mar-14 15:29:00

Hello Spongebob

I'm a month in and 10lbs down! As an ex-SW and WW I've found MyFitnessPal app brilliant for looking up calories.

I don't avoid fruit on fast days, some do, but I find i need it for something sweet to get me through the days. A typical day for me would be:
breakfast nothing (if I'm feeling up to a longer fast!), a grapefruit or some strawberries and melon
lunch ultra low calorie soup, usually tomato or home made veg soup. If I've had brekkie sometimes I can manage to miss lunch.
dinner veg stir fry, roast veg or stuffed aubergine or pepper, veggie curry

I try to cook from scratch so I know exactly what's going into my gob but I'm not against packets of calorie counted stuff! I just try to get maximum volume nutrition for my calories.

Jump into the main thread, there are loads of experts and newbies to help out.

spongebob13 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:08:10

thanks so much for the replies I appreciate them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now