IF / ADF / 4:3 / 5:2 / 6:1 / 16:8 ~ Maintaining at a healthy weight ~ Chapter 4

(998 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 13-Jan-14 20:40:13

This thread is for those of us who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at, or nearing, their target healthy weight.
It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?
How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?
How do we ensure that we keep ourselves looking great rather than just thin?

Many of us have been maintaining at our original goal weight for many months, and others are joining all the time.
Obviously, the more the merrier!
It is also worth considering whether a second, leaner target might be achievable.

You'll find the first three maintenance threads and all the main 5:2 threads for posters practicing IF to lose weight here Fasting / 5:2 on the diet forum. We're currently on thread no. 35, but there is a new main thread every 2-3 weeks.

There are three other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these!

Since I started the last Maintainers thread the importance of exercise has come to the fore, as part of our general health and to help weight loss. BigChocFrenzys thread is here

TalkinPeace Mon 21-Jul-14 22:19:23

well we just went out for end of term dinner
each child was allowed two glasses of fizzy
and we had 3 jugs of tap water

then we blew it by having pudding at a gelato place!

Southeastdweller Mon 21-Jul-14 21:28:16

I definitely had too much squash growing up, as well as fruit juice, both of which I never touch now. It's taken years to get the water habit and I like to think that if I have kids then I'd take the continental approach and have at least one jug of water on the kitchen table at mealtimes from when they're very young.

TalkinPeace Mon 21-Jul-14 16:50:47

and she's just finished her grade 7 dance exam.
stuff fasting
supper out beckons

flowers to talented DD

TalkinPeace Mon 21-Jul-14 13:33:31

OK, I can't be that bad a parent : DD just got distinction in her grade 7 music exam grin

TalkinPeace Mon 21-Jul-14 12:25:43
TalkinPeace Mon 21-Jul-14 12:25:22

TiP is a bad mum.
We have squash and fizzy and fruit juice in the house.
BUT
Breakfast is water or milk or post fruit juice at weekends.
All through the day is water only.
With supper is fizzy if we are having booze, squash sometimes, water three or four days a week.
The kids are learning to self regulate their sugar. It works.

MrsFlorrick Sun 20-Jul-14 23:02:44

Not everyone Bigchoc.

My DC drink water or milk. Fruit juice (never squash ever - don't have it in the house) is for special treat only.

Fruit are snacks. I know we all say no snacking but at 5 and 3 years old this doesn't always work. Because they may not eat any lunch offered at 12 but be wailing with hunger at 2pm. So fruit.

I do buy something called Organix oat bars. These are oat and fruit only sweetened with grape juice. Good for long car journeys or if hunger strikes after swimming etc.

The DC don't ask for squash at home because they've never seen me drink it and I don't drink fruit juice either so they don't ask often. As for juice I buy the small individual cartons of Innocent smoothies made for children for occasional treats. Never big cartons where limitless amounts are consumed.

I am always astounded of our friends with DC who are practically passing out when they visit and they ask for squash and I don't have any. They have started brining their own smile

And we (DH and I) don't have cans of soft drinks so the DC have no idea that it's something worth having.

They do ask for special treats (the juice and chocolate and occasional biscuits). And they do drink squash at kids parties as it's usually the only thing on offer.

It Is hard to avoid all the junk thrown at us. And the constant "buy food" messages.

Part of the key to all of it is not to buy junk and not to have it in the house. Then it doesn't become the norm and every day.

There are frequent threads objecting to the water-only policy of some schools.
Apparently Mumsnet was raised on squash.
So, they give this, or fruit juice, to their DCs all day
shock
Then the constant snacks of biscuits, cereal bars, flapjacks every 2 hours
Massive sugar / chemical overload.

Anglaise1 Sun 20-Jul-14 20:20:18

And many of their DCs would dehydrate rather than drink water.
Really?? What do they drink with their meals? Here in France water is the norm. Contrary to what you read in the UK press French kids do not have wine with their meals either.
I hate diet stuff so won't have low cal anything in the house (except skimmed milk which doesn't really count). You have to set limits for kids in all areas, including food.
That's what parents are there for, isn't it?

Yes, we seem to have self control here (maybe a prerequisite to reach maintenance ?)
However, the outraged screams on MN when anyone suggests limiting junk, whether for DCs or adults.....
Usual claim is this causes DCs to have EDs as adults.
And many of their DCs would dehydrate rather than drink water.
hmm

TalkinPeace Sun 20-Jul-14 17:32:46

We have a huge supermarket, four corner shops and three takeaways within walking distance of the house.
I've taught my kids to have self control.
Too many parents do not bother.

Anglaise1 Sun 20-Jul-14 17:03:56

BCF isn't it down to parents to instil this and educate their children from and early age? I know I live in rural France and there aren't the same temptations as in UK cities, but I'm sure I'd bring my kids up in the same way. That is, eat healthily with occasional snacks, no soft drinks in the house except for parties, the rest of the time we drink water with meals, occasionally a McDos as a treat for them (I can't abide them) and lots of exercise (walking, cycling and swimming with me and other sports as weekly activity).

Crap food at cheap prices
Exactly this. Since about the 1980s, we have had to resist delicious (sometimes) junk that nearly anyone can afford to buy in huge quantities.
It's the first time in human history and we haven't evolved to cope.

People keep saying "education, cookery lessons ...." but almost everyone aged 10+ knows that too much junk makes you fat.
No politically acceptable solution I can see - huge junk tax, rationing, NHS exclusions .... ? No way.

The problem is how to instil self-discipline and taking responsibility.
Maybe we should appoint Tip as Obesity Tzar. smile

Southeastdweller Sun 20-Jul-14 14:36:43

I broadly agree with what Rosie Boycott says in the article BigChoc linked to but she's either ignorant or doesn't want to acknowledge two other things that have got us in this mess - and emotional eating issues and the fact that some cultures are very food-centric, especially here in the London borough where I live where one of these pilots is taking place. I'd love to talk to her about all this if I see her around. I'm especially interested to see what exactly she's going to do about the plethora of fast-food eateries here that are full of kids buying crap food at cheap prices.

BetsyBell Sun 20-Jul-14 09:49:34

Just about to head off! Thanks anglaise Lovely lovely cool air at the moment <thanks all the gods> grin

Anglaise1 Sun 20-Jul-14 08:03:47

Good luck with your Race Betsy or I hope your race went well (depending on when you read this!) Pouring with rain here for our training session, but better that than the heat of the last few days.

BetsyBell Sun 20-Jul-14 07:14:08

I spend much more now on decent ingredients bigchoc. The family nut and nut butter habit is expensive! But we spend far less on alcohol which helps.

It seems a bit cooler today (at 7am!!) so shouldn't be too bad for the run. We are definitely going to be running at a slow pace smile

Sweet Junk
Most of us here have learned to restrict sweet junk to sensible amounts.
<some of us, ahem, had horrendous junk habits>
blush
I was posting on a non-5:2 thread trying to warn of the dangers of massive sweet junk frenzies (7 Mars bars and a pack of bix in this bloke's case).
People seem to think nothing matters if you are an ok weight and some were quite heated at the idea of reducing "treats" to more sensible amounts.

These are some of the dozens of peer-reviewed scientific papers I've seen on higher cancer risks: ColonCancer , BreastCancer , EndometrialCancer
Then there is higher risk of heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, dementia ...

Eatriskier Sat 19-Jul-14 20:50:33

*regimen = re-given

Eatriskier Sat 19-Jul-14 20:50:09

betsy I suppose adding lactose isn't the right way of putting it. Its full of things that are almost pure lactose as bulking agents.

bigchoc I was regimen the advice 'never eat at a restaurant with pictures of the food displayed'. Serves me right I suppose. But like you I don't really eat crap (often ahem) any more and prefer a better quality of restaurant. However I do love a Nandos. That's my new 'junk' food.

Good luck with the race tomorrow Betsy Great cause flowers
In this heat, maybe best to go at a very easy pace, just finish safely.

It was 37C here and both my gyms have no a/c or fan confused <very ripe>
I couldn't face HIIT spin this afternoon, so I just did a very short session of heavy weights and enjoyed a long cool shower.

Eat Mugged by McFlurry grin
I've never tried one. I do like an ice, especially in this heatwave (we'll probably all put on a few ice lb)
However, 5:2 has changed my taste buds, so the really sweet junk is now inedible.

Btw: am I the only person who spends much MORE on food because of 5:2 ? - I no longer eat crap and I hate cooking, so I now go to high-quality restaurants (no problem, the Bank of Choc is very healthy and it all tastes sooo much better)

TalkinPeace Sat 19-Jul-14 13:55:39

I'm finding it really interesting as we head towards the 2nd anniversary of the TV programme. DH and I started 5:2 at the start of the September.

Since then I've tolerated my kids skipping meals and eating when hungry but they have learned to tolerate that I no longer buy snack food at all.
DD now gets through enormous quantities of cottage cheese, DS eats carrots till he turns orange
BUT
they are both looking lean and well (16 and 13) and know very well what full means - they will often push the plate away if I cooked too much pasta (to finish the packet)
I have to hope that they will never get overweight because they understand the industry and to listen to their bodies.

Last night we had friends round and ate wall to wall junk - but it was supper -
24 packs of wotsits got eaten and multiple tubes of pringles
it was fun - but only once every two months thankyou!

BetsyBell Sat 19-Jul-14 10:35:00

I grew up in the 80s when it was crap food central, though luckily my mum could cook. Plenty of people were already being brought up of pop-tarts and shit microwave/tinned type meals though. And snacks were cheap.

But it still wasn't on the scale that it is now. People are eating all of the time, and apparently it is impossible to sit and watch a theatrical performance or go to the cinema without continuously consuming.

I'm trying to find the right balance with my DSs and so far so good I think. One of them definitely does the "I'm hungry" when he really means "I'm bored" so I must remember to try and divert this over the holidays. At 10 and 8 they are definitely old enough to wait for meals most of the time (their mum needs to remember this too.. grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now