IF / ADF / 4:3 / 5:2 / 6:1 / 16:8 ~ Maintaining at a healthy weight ~ Chapter 4

(998 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 13-Jan-14 20:40:13

This thread is for those of us who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at, or nearing, their target healthy weight.
It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?
How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?
How do we ensure that we keep ourselves looking great rather than just thin?

Many of us have been maintaining at our original goal weight for many months, and others are joining all the time.
Obviously, the more the merrier!
It is also worth considering whether a second, leaner target might be achievable.

You'll find the first three maintenance threads and all the main 5:2 threads for posters practicing IF to lose weight here Fasting / 5:2 on the diet forum. We're currently on thread no. 35, but there is a new main thread every 2-3 weeks.

There are three other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these!

Since I started the last Maintainers thread the importance of exercise has come to the fore, as part of our general health and to help weight loss. BigChocFrenzys thread is here

Jobyloo Wed 15-Jan-14 21:01:22

Laska yay 1lb down that's great. No I never went back to the dark side but didn't really do myself any favours last year. However got a feeling in my water that this year will be different. Managed a 20hr fast and more amazingly stayed under 500 cals. Might head off to bed shortly tho so I can dodge the kitchen wink. Feeling chuffed FD no. 5 under my belt.

TIP well done on your SV, totally amazing!

Southeastdweller Wed 15-Jan-14 21:27:29

Thanks Tip for this thread.

Nothing new to report but I'm still maintaining so that's good. Can't wait for a slap-up breakfast at Betty's in York next weekend. It feels great to eat guilt-free and still maintain a significant weight loss whilst reaping the health benefits of fasting smile.

Fillybuster Wed 15-Jan-14 23:30:03

Aha!

Found you grin

Thanks TiP

Now off to catch up...

Breadandwine Thu 16-Jan-14 05:56:18

Can't sleep! It's often like this after a good teaching session - mind is racing away.

So I've come down for a cup of cocoa - and I need to put some fruit to soak, for the spicy fruit naans I shall be making tomorrow or the next day.

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/spicy-fruit-naans.html

I've put 200g sultanas and 200g dried apricots to soak - for 24 hours if possible. This creates a wonderful 'fruit juice', some of which will go in the bread, the rest I shall drink.

Once the apricots are softened, I'll chop them up into sultana-sized pieces, ready for baking.

Yesterday I racked a gallon of wine, so now I have 6 bottles in the cupboard. I make 10 gallons a year in 5-gal batches. This is down from 20 gallons a year two years ago. And tomorrow I shall rack my 5-gal of homemade stout into demi-johns. This'll last me about 6-8 weeks.

Question: Do I need one of the vegan mince pies that I have left from Christmas? Not really, I ate a large dinner after I came home at 9.30 and I'm not hungry at all. I'm enjoying the cocoa - Green and Black's finest!

What else can I add?

……….

Oh, well, I'll bring 'Sherlock' up on iPlayer - I always need to watch it twice to make sure I've missed nothing.

Hope everyone's having a good night's sleep!

(Later) I've now been up for an hour - I'll go back to bed and have another go!

Got to be up at nine - I have a philosophy class at ten!

Anglaise1 Thu 16-Jan-14 06:59:20

Found you! Thanks TIP for the new thread.
Well done Laska on your 5th fast of the year! I'm on my 4th today. But I know I'm on a plateau probably for the next few weeks if my first 5:2 effort was anything to go by. Still only 1kg to lose it isn't the end of the world. It is nearly a year since I started this WOE and mainetnance has never been so easy!
B&W your comment about homemade wine and beer made me laugh. My dad used to make his own too, mostly elderflower and blackberry.
My French BF lived in the UK for a year in the 90s and was horrified when he saw kits for making wine and beer in Boots.

Fillybuster Thu 16-Jan-14 12:12:59

ATB I'm impressed (as always) by your cycling efforts. Your frustration really came through in your post...I feel for you: try to remember this is just a phase. I turned 40 last month (also with a young family...) and life is so not over yet! grin

TiP well done (as always) and thanks for the continued encouragement. You're an inspiration <Filly hearts Tip emoticon>

Laska I'm rooting for you....stick with it smile You know you're never going to go back over there now you know what to do smile smile

Its my 40th birthday party on Saturday night, so squeezing in an extra mini FD today (I'm mostly maintaining on 6:1). Havent decided whether to eat a late lunch or go the whole hog through to this evening....I'm in Day 2 of a horrendously painful workshop and not sure I'll make it through with no food! Brought emergency semi-FD friendly supplies in with me (apple, M&S salad, herbal tea bags) as well as some less so (large chunky kit kat, bar of prestat dark chocolate) so will have to see how it goes. 9.2.6 this morning, so a scrap under the 9.3 which was my revised stretch target, but I'd like the peace of mind that i won't wake up on Saturday a few lbs up from licking the spoon when I spend the whole day baking mini lemon and chocolate tarts, frosting 6 tray bakes and 150 mini cupcakes and making marshmallows tomorrow!

In the end I bought a Karen Millen dress on ebay - it was listed as size 10-12 and the seller commented it was quite small. Only a tenner, including postage - it arrived yesterday and fits!! Even better, dh thinks it looks fab! grin So I'd like it to look fitted rather than tight fitting, iyswim grin

OK, back to paying attention in the workshop...

TalkinPeace Thu 16-Jan-14 12:35:38

well I should have fasted today but I did my swim and a half hour ab session and then the legs bums and tums class - and part way through it felt very vague .... which is not like me at all
so DH and I just had a ham and hard boiled egg sandwich - two slices of bread and two eggs between us.
Hey, what's the point of telling all the newcomers how adaptable this WOE is if I can't pull a mini fast every now and then!

Fillybuster Karen Millen size 10 - way to go youngster wink

Fillybuster Thu 16-Jan-14 12:46:05

Never has a fast failed so quickly...we broke for a quick lunch, boss said "lets get takeaway from the Taz around the corner" and suddenly even the M&S salad didn't cut it...

Oops blush

I did just choose tabbouleh, chickpeas, lentils and salad....

EarSlaps Thu 16-Jan-14 13:59:27

Pic of the dress please Filly [grin)

Anglaise1 Thu 16-Jan-14 14:21:14

TIP and Filly don't worry, you can fast again another day...I'm finding today a real struggle, I'm so hungry and about to go out for a run which will make it even worse. Will try and hold on as I'm away at the weekend and will be eating well then!

BsshBossh Thu 16-Jan-14 15:04:02

The wonderful flexbility of this WOE, eh ladies smile

I'm struggling too. It seems that though I still have 2 lbs to go my mind is already in maintenance mode and wants to say, "Hey, you're BMI 21 now, you've done a strict Monday fast, what does it matter if this week is 6:1!" Which of course is fine. But I'm a stubborn mare and my willpower is flagging not through hunger or feeling faint or being in onerous circumstances but through sheer greed: I simply would like the taste of delicious food in my mouth and gut grin. I can have it all tomorrow - a mantra for oldies and newbies alike.

Thanks Filly that's lovely to hear an huge best wishes for your birthday on Saturday!

To be honest I have to start a FD saying I will fast today, whenever I leave it a bit open to decide later I never manage it, and Taz is delicious so I think you're alright wink

FD here, first in quite a while. Shouldn't be too hard - DS has a play date this am and he wanted to cook, he's chosen bean soup and a mandarin and chocolate trifle from his "I Can Cook" cookbook. I hate trifle so that's all good! Then meeting up with a friend at the beach this avo and we'll feed the children at the beach cafe, she fasts once a week so she'll understand when I turn down pizza and probably will do the same so that'll make it easier - then DH has last nights Thai green curry leftovers for his dinner

Doing a pretty decent ride on Sunday but worried about my massive lack of exercise so think I'll dig out Shred or something tomorrow

Can't wait to get back on the bike and back into shape

Oh - B&W check your inbox! Sorry I wasn't online when you were up as I usually am!

BetsyBell Thu 16-Jan-14 16:27:57

I've just popped this on the main thread but it may be of interest here too:

Betsy's 1 year in review - started 15th January 2013:

I have spent most of the year doing 5:2 with 2 meals on fast days - a small lunch at 12.15 plus small dinner at 6pm. Sometimes just one meal in the evening. I usually have the 500 calories, occasionally more on my second fast of the week.

Changes to my attitude and appetite:

No fear of hunger
Smaller appetite and fill up very quickly
Eating is more mindful
More likely to make healthier choices and rarely buy or have junk in the house
Prefer healthier food
Can barely tolerate over-salted food
Far less enjoyment of highly sugary foods
Unlikely to eat lower quality chocolate if offered and never buy it
Less tolerant of alcohol
More moderate with alcohol
No longer dependant on hi-carb foods
Less enjoyment of most hi carb foods (except bread)
Still love bread but eat less of it less often and can usually eat it in moderation

I now acknowledge that my TDEE is quite low and I don't need an extra piece/slice of anything
Acknowledged to myself that actually my DH and DSs should eat more than me and follow their lead/let them eat the biscuits (should there be any)
Acknowledged that I am now a slim person (that took a surprisingly long time to do)

I am very happily maintaining around a weight that suits me. I will continue to 5:2 in the same way for life. If I stop I know my appetite (and therefore weight) will incrementally increase if there are no fast days to punctuate my eating and reset my appetite. Christmas and holidays when I pause the 5:2 have shown me this. I prefer how I feel when I fast twice a week.

2014 target: To take fitness more seriously.
Adhoc-ness worked really well when I had loads to lose but now I need to streamline and focus. I'm currently on track for this target (though it is only January). Doing 5:2 for a year has made me realise I can stick to a task and therefore I feel confident I can make a significant and permanent change to fitness regime too.

BetsyBell Thu 16-Jan-14 16:31:08

Fruity naans! Will definitely be having a look at that recipe B&W, on a NFD though I think. Not that home baked bread products are my weakness or anything hmm

BsshBossh Thu 16-Jan-14 16:38:59

Fantastic review Betsy!

That's a great review Bestsy! Well done

I'm starting my fundraising again for the AIDS ride so just in case anyone is remotely interested (please don't feel you even have to look at this but I seriously have a lot of you last year to thank for the emotional and financial support you gave), here's the link

Http://tofighthiv.org/goto/Effie

Breadandwine Thu 16-Jan-14 17:56:08

Great stuff, Betsy! What an advert for 5:2 you are! smile

Thanks, ATB, I'm on the case! smile

Filly what a lovely portfolio!

TalkinPeace Thu 16-Jan-14 18:11:40

B&W
have just printed out the Nann recipe for supper tonight ......
thankyou xx TiP

BetsyBell Thu 16-Jan-14 18:14:13

Yeah I quite like this WOL wink!

Thanks all, I just wanted to record the changes, it's been a revelatory year. Tip - I'll pop it on the inspirations as suggested on the other thread. Oddly, I didn't think of it as inspirational, just interesting. But reading back I see what you mean smile

Nettnett Thu 16-Jan-14 18:52:03

Hello Everyone!

Christmas weight finally gone, thank goodness ( and Dr Mosley).
Four fasts, 16:8 most days, breakfast on weekends only, 3 kilos gone, back to a BMI of 20, and more importantly, comfortable in my skin again, if you know what I mean?
love and best wishes to you all ladies and gents, it would be so much harder if I were doing this on my own...

Southeastdweller Thu 16-Jan-14 19:36:09

Thanks Betsy for sharing your review. I love reading the life-changing posts on here <sniffs>.

BsshBossh Thu 16-Jan-14 20:01:37

While you're on the Inspirations thread, check out wildwater's contribution - amazing!

Well done Nett. So will you maintain with 16:8 only?

BetsyBell Thu 16-Jan-14 21:09:37

wildwater's story is wonderful - like sed I get a bit <sniffly> over these life change posts too.

Southeastdweller Thu 16-Jan-14 21:57:01

wildwater No need to apologise for a 'long-winded' post. What a lovely read that was flowers

Nettnett Fri 17-Jan-14 05:18:42

No,*Bssh*, to maintain I always do a fast on a Monday, after a weekend of indulgence, and do 16:8 most days through the week, with another fast thrown in if the scales show the need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now