IF / ADF / 4:3 / 5:2 / 6:1 / 16:8 ~ Maintaining at a healthy weight ~ Chapter 4

(998 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 13-Jan-14 20:40:13

This thread is for those of us who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at, or nearing, their target healthy weight.
It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?
How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?
How do we ensure that we keep ourselves looking great rather than just thin?

Many of us have been maintaining at our original goal weight for many months, and others are joining all the time.
Obviously, the more the merrier!
It is also worth considering whether a second, leaner target might be achievable.

You'll find the first three maintenance threads and all the main 5:2 threads for posters practicing IF to lose weight here Fasting / 5:2 on the diet forum. We're currently on thread no. 35, but there is a new main thread every 2-3 weeks.

There are three other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these!

Since I started the last Maintainers thread the importance of exercise has come to the fore, as part of our general health and to help weight loss. BigChocFrenzys thread is here

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:33

rub lipsyl onto the skin round your nose to protect it ...

you know the mental side of fasting ...
re read the recipes thread to see if that inspires you
newcomers still rave about your aubergine curry !

Ugh it's crap when you feel like you're "failing" at fasting isn't it? But also when bunged up and miserable. 16:8 probably a good idea for now like TiP said?

I failed both fasts last week so feel your pain
Xx

Breadandwine Tue 18-Feb-14 01:03:16

Hi Laska! As you're demonstrating, IF isn't something we can take for granted - we have to work at it. And that means never taking your eye off the ball!

This is why I fasted at every opportunity throughout the Christmas period - and hadn't gained an ounce by the time it was over!

I know from experience, that if I let things slip in any area, it takes a real effort to get back into it. For instance, for the past week or so, I've had a mild chest infection, for which I'm on anti-biotics.

This, plus my minor back problem, led me to give up any form of exercise. And I'm not finding it easy to get back into the routine I'd established prior to this - the mind discovers a raft of excuses not to do so. Today is the first day I've done HIIT - but that's all I've done.

Tomorrow, bearing in mind this conversation, I shall resume my exercise regime, full on!

You know you can get back into it, Laska - take a look back at threads 1, 2 and 3, and see the enthusiasm you had then! You were the poster girl of IF at one stage, IIRC! You can do it again!

Remember that lovely dress you showed us? grin

Hope you get better soon - and then you can meet this fasting thing head on! flowers

Breadandwine Tue 18-Feb-14 01:06:19

ATB - I googled vegan GF biscuits earlier and found a great website. I've since lost the link, but I'm sure it's easy to find again.

Anglaise1 Tue 18-Feb-14 06:53:36

((Laska)) fasting isn't fun and fasting with a horrible cold is nearly impossible. Wait until you feel better, stick a photo of you on your holiday last year on the fridge, read the old threads as B&W said and re-read the Dr M and Mimi book if you bought it - that might help motivate you! Spring is on it's way and you can lose a stone in a couple of months if you have the willpower (which you won't have with a cold) so it isn't too late, don't worry!
I failed on fasting last week, fasted yesterday, hated every minute of it. I'm finding it really hard to get back to the magical 9 stone/57kgs so you aren't the only one struggling. Maybe it was the novelty of fasting twice a week that helped last year but this year it is so hard to do a second fast in the week. So obviously weight loss just isn't happening.

OT alert - we brought a rescue cat home last night and she's awesome!!!

Laska42 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:56:04

Photo please ATB!

Nose stilll being utterely disgusting today , but scales are down a tad ( im still not telling.. highish tens is as far as i will.... its too shameful ) .

But after this morning I have great hopes for being significantly less tomorrow as well .( but it would be far TMI to tell you why exactly ..) grin

At work and spreadingthe germs around in an unfriendly fashion but although i know im not that important I really feel like have to be here this week as so many people off for half term , and people dont stop needing help .(several houses have had to be evacuated due to land slip here )... .

Am just eating Dr Soup . carrots , tomatoes onions ginger lemon garlic chili cumin (not neccesaily in those proportions) .. its kill or cure . Actualy although is making my poor dried lips tingle im pretty sure its doing me lots of good , and can only be less tha 100 cal as no fat in it at all , ill post a recipe .

Thanks for your kind word Anglaise ATP Tip and B&W .. yes going back and looking at the early threads is a very good idea! . i need to get my 5:2 mojo back ! ..

Anglaise1 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:52:00

Ooooh fingers crossed for your scales tomorrow morning, Laska!
I made some delicious veggie soup with the bag of veg given to us after the 10k race in Sunday. Thought it would be ideal for my fast day but the scales this morning showed an increase - and I ate all day was a big bowl of soup (made with leeks, carrots, onions and turnip plus stock cubes), an orange and two squares of Lindt. Can't have been more than 500 calories. Must be down to the muscles retaining water - usually after a fast day I drop around a kg (mostly water loss I s'pose) then put it back on again over the next few days
Yes ATB photos of your new adoption would be lovely!

Laska42 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:42:04

OK have taken first step on the road back .. recording on myfitness pal .again . I use to do this every day but havent looked at it for ages .. the good thing is that all my recipes and 'foods' are still on there so that's good for a reminder of what i was doing before as well.. ...

Have eaten healthily today , but not particularly tried to fast and wont until cold is better ( its still grim-runny-nose-city here ) ... eggs , soup , and some stewed home grown blackcurrants from the freezer (cos they felt like Vit C in a bowl) . Then this evening some h/m cauliflower curry with a bit of turkey breast and a couple sqs of v dark choc (Montezumas sea salt and lime , the best IMHO) b

Has worked out at 960 calories.. that will do ..ill try and eat somewhat the same tomorrow , but if im feeling better perhaps try for a 16:8 and leave out the eggs for breakfast..

Unlike nose the head is bunged up now so i'm taking myself off to bed with tea and book.. tomorrow ill read some old threads i think ..

I do have the 5:2 book somewhere also (i think unless i lent it out ) , so will dig it out ..

Good call, people, thanks ! I'm feeling a lot more positive already ..

TalkinPeace Tue 18-Feb-14 21:53:09

Well done Laska

and huge hugs to Wildwater

Goddamnit ANOTHER failed FD

Laska I think I'm just going to have to join you doing 16:8 and logging everything to MFP to get myself back on track (and stop cooking chocolate flapjacks)

wildwater Wed 19-Feb-14 19:02:02

Thank you TalkinPeace - received with gratitude thanks

Laska42 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:14:36

hello! well ive 'lost' 4lbs! this week so feeling a lot better mentally and the cold is starting to go a bit I think ..

I've had 3 days of under 1000cals and two of those under 750 .

but ....(TMI Alert)
I am now wondering if the very scary weight gain was constipation? perhaps caused by the onset of the cold ? as i have now .. oh well, you know, 'got over it' wink ... But can this be?

BTW im now admitting to 10.10 ( still far more than I want ) so you can see how scary it was on Sunday ..

DH birthday tomorrow and he is home early tonight instead of tomorrow , ive only had 300 cals so far today and have made a chicken mushroom and cauli curry for this evening (small portion for me and no rice) ...but probably wine or two ....as have started the weekend early and ill be taking him out to lunch tomorrow.. but im determioned .. it will be good choices ..

So feeling much more in control now .. have bought some new cycling stuff for DH so , may even go out on my bike this weekend if it dont rain ! (though the potholed round here are terrible now )

I've even threatened to go to Zumba on Monday (and maybe i will even) !

ATB any news on that cat photo? (i must get one of Marcus up )

Southeastdweller Thu 20-Feb-14 19:53:02

So good to hear Laska. The enthusiasm is brimming from your post!

I doubt 4lbs would all be 'blockage' but I do think it's very important to be regular on this WOL to help get accurate weigh-in recordings.

BouncyFun Thu 20-Feb-14 20:20:24

Well done Laska. 4lbs off is great news. Some of it may well have been ahem, due to blockage, but your low cal days would be most of it, I should think.

Yesterday, I had an absolute ugh! day. DS has insisted that we bake cakes/muffins etc everyday so, yesterday, all I had to eat was leftover banana bread (half quarter of loaf anyone?) and strawberry sponge (I guess I got my fruit in!) and lots of it. I felt ill by about 4 in the afternoon and couldn't face any more food.

So today I have gone for maximum zingy zangy fresh food. Lots of strawberries in my porridge. Chickpea and tomato salad with coriander, chilli and lots of lemon juice. And then in the evening, lots of veggies in a tomato and thyme sauce, eaten with sourdough slice of bread. Feel much better. Luckily, I managed to dissuade DS from more stodge cooking but I still have 3 more potential baking days left <feels ill>.

BsshBossh Thu 20-Feb-14 20:27:11

Woohoo go Laska!

TalkinPeace Thu 20-Feb-14 21:24:24

Laska
scary as it seems ..... undigested food can weigh up to 5 or 6 pounds
I know that from New York
so when you clear the system by a swift return to fasting the weight is gone lickety split

that's terrifying TiP

yay well done Laska - I'm attempting another FD today after failing all last week (grrrr) and had a lovely eating day full of vegan goodiness yesterday and at friends for a dinner playdate tomorrow so best stick to it!

wildwater Thu 20-Feb-14 22:59:35

FD tomorrow...although today has almost felt like one. Had some leftover cold rice & stir-fry veges for lunch with two tiny 'libros' (an Argentine pastry that pulls apart like pages of a book; no sugar or anything else) and have just eaten a peach. No idea if/what dinner is on the cards. I don't feel like cooking, but maybe our band of artisanos will bring something home from el feria.

Today I have walked into Lago Puelo and back, as well as walked back from the lake after doing my usual muffin-selling wander along the shore. It is a very beautiful place. Am delighting in all the blackberries ripening everywhere, free for the picking. No spraying. There are also apples, plums and walnuts growing wild in abundance. Heaven!

Hey all, last weekend was spent in London and been working and juggling half term all week. But have just completed fast 2 of second week back on fasting.

laska if I can get back on track with a number of false starts then you definitely can. You've been ill and it's winter, but you're still here and reporting and you have all the history of knowing this can work. But like b&w said this isn't easy.......or certainly not all the time, there are in the zone times and totally off track times, but it's a preferable choice as a woe to many other ways.

My fast today much tougher than Tuesdays, entertaining kids for tea with lasagne, garlic bread and a selections of home made lemon cupcakes, profiteroles and eccles cakes really didn't' help!

Want to respond to some other posts but need to sleep now......my dd usually wakes at 5.30 am!

More tomorrow......weigh in day!

atb you can do it! Just imagine what loveliness you can have tomorrow and how much flatter your tummy will feel!

Oh wildwater can I come and stay?!

Thanks MOCNK, feeling find now, had my 500cals and handing DC over to DH and going to yoga so the true test will be coming home and avoiding the snack cupboard, evenings have been my nemesis recently.

I did however cycle 42 miles yesterday between meals and have a 46mild training ride planned for Sunday

frenchfancy Fri 21-Feb-14 06:17:22

Disaster zone here. I've lost my passport. We are due to go to the US next week. We've spent thousands and the insurance doesn't cover us for lost passports. Gutted doesn't even come close.

I'm going to spend today trying to find it. Yesterday was a FD and I force my self to eat in the evening as I was so shaky. DH didn't and still hasn't eaten.

This morning we are supposed to be cooking an English breakfast for 40+ kids at the school. Funnily enough we are not really in the mood.

Anglaise1 Fri 21-Feb-14 06:50:38

Oh no FF what a nightmare! I hope you manage to find it...if not is there any chance you could make a trip to the UK to replace it at one of the passport offices there? I hope the English breakfast goes well! All the French I know love our breakfasts (except for the black pudding, and Marmite).

Laska congratulations on the 4lbs, even if some of it is body waste it is good boost to see the scales go in the right direction.
Well done to everyone who has succeeded this week, glad you are back on track MOCNK! I managed 2 fasts, Monday was easy, Tuesday I nearly gave into temptation (almonds) at 7pm but didn't....even though I'd done a 11km run in the morning plus normal dog walks of 5km. I need to keep thinking of that half marathon in April and the 2 packs of sugar equivalent I don't want to carry around for it!
The only thing is that now the day after a fast I'm not showing any loss at all, whereas last year with 5:2 I usually dropped at least a kg. I know most of that would have been water, but it was still nice to see after a day of fasting.

A 15km run later this afternoon after work. Glad I'm not fasting today.
ATB not sure how any 46 mile bike ride can be described as mild!

BetsyBell Fri 21-Feb-14 07:37:14

(((((((Frenchfancy)))))))) oh I feel sick for you, what a nightmare hmm keep searching x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now