The 5:2 thread number 34 - New Year (title courtesy of B&W) Come and join us and take CONTROL! Of your weight, and of your lives.

(1000 Posts)

The continuing thread for those of us following the 5:2 fast or other forms of fasting such as 4:3, ADF, or daily 16:8.
The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012 and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat normally - or approximately your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE - see explanation below). 4:3 is the same except you fast on 3 days in the week. Alternate-day fasting (ADF) is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. 16:8 is another form where you stick to only eating in an 8 hour window each day, therefore fasting for 16 hours each day.
By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.
You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.
WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.
MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website or app many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.
TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.
NFD = Non fast day
NSV = Non scale victory
Michael Mosley has a website to accompany his book on the subject. Please go check it out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!
Lurkers and new starters: please just jump in and post - you'll find a lot of support here and we’re a friendly bunch.
Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:
All our previous threads can be found by browsing through the fasting section of the site.
Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the tips and links that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!
eatriskier’s thread has some lovely inspiring stories which are worth checking out if you want some motivation to get started or keep going through a plateau. Please add your own too.
frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!
If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.
Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon - link to that programme here.
A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.
This link nicely demonstrates that there are many body ‘right’ body shapes and types, because what we are actually aiming for is low body fat for fitness and health.
A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)
A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")
Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI. (Though anecdotal evidence from these long-running threads may suggest otherwise…)
A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful.
A HUGE THANK YOU to Greeneggsandnicht for putting together all this info and resources into one concise OP text, much appreciated by so many 5:2ers!
Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this way of life!

BetsyBell Mon 30-Dec-13 19:32:46

mum2 It's quite addictive really - I tend to crave a day off after a full on weekend!

What went wrong for me today was staying at home all day and accidentally semi-fasting yesterday.

SkippydedoDaa Mon 30-Dec-13 19:35:04

Oh Talkinpeace I never thought of the hidden calories grin

Not so much of a struggle then! grin

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Mon 30-Dec-13 19:39:47

Hi skippy I'm a newbie too. Best of luck with your first fast. I'm not quite sure when I'll start mine - I need ds to shift his cough first.

dotty 2lbs doesn't sound too bad over Xmas

talkin thanks for the advice. Bigchoc meantioned I should be on 1000 cals if ebf. It's a good job, I would have started on just 600 and probably failed miserably.

I'm hoping this diet works for me. I think I will be a fan of skipping breakfast (and possibly lunch later on).

BsshBossh Mon 30-Dec-13 19:44:14

Thanks BigChoc for the new thread.

All newcomers big welcome. I've been doing 5:2 since February and have lost 3 stones (I'd already lost the first 3 stones in 2012 prior to 5:2 but got bored of the daily calorie counting so switched to 5:2). It really, really works! So long as you stick with it...

EarSlaps Mon 30-Dec-13 19:56:39

Thanks for the new thread BigChoc. Have you started the 5:2 exercisers one yet? If not, would you like me to start one later this eve? On the 5:2 board or the exercise one?

Hello all newbies, welcome to the mad house! I was expecting plenty of new faces after Christmas. I'd definitely recommend starting gently, this is for life, it's not a diet so you will lose the weight if you stick at it.

Well, weighed myself after being away for Christmas and grazing far too much on chocolates and mince pies. However I have remained exactly the same weight! I did miss breakfast most days (nothing I fancied on offer), although I started on the chocolates about 10am. I did manage to get a few runs in too so I guess that helped. Haven't fasted for a couple of weeks, might wait until DS is back at school as long as I don't start creeping up.

BsshBossh Mon 30-Dec-13 20:04:07

Well done EarSlaps. I think that means you've gotten a handle on your appetite. Fantastic!

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Mon 30-Dec-13 20:22:47

Thanks for the welcome bash well done on losing 3 stone. I need to shift just under 2 stone.

earslaps nice work on maintaining your weight over Xmas.

I've only just settled the toddler to sleep. For some unknown reason instated singing surfin bird to her at bedtime. One of my more stupid ideas. smile

BsshBossh Mon 30-Dec-13 20:38:21

23 hour LOF successfully completed. Off to enjoy my green veg soup and some fruit. Then 2 NFDs!

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 30-Dec-13 20:49:20

Well I survived my FD today I went over 500 calories, but I'm way under 1000. I am on 650 right now. I'm still having my hot chocolate but I have the options sachets (I don't trust myself not to put too much in without them) so that's only another 40. I'm pleased with how today has gone, even though I could have done without DH having the little comments from time to time. Next week will be easier since I will be at work so I won't have to put up with him.

Welcome to the newbies I had a feeling that this thread would go crazy. Hop

ImABadGirl Mon 30-Dec-13 20:51:55

Hello everyone, I posted right at the end of the old thread and thought I would say hello on this one.

I've just finished a NFD and will now wait 16 hours to eat again which will be a FD (I've decided to do ADF) so will see if I can go longer than 16 hours but I doubt it.

I also plan on going for a bike ride tomorrow but again will see how I get on...

long term fasters, do you find it easy to exercise on FD?

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 30-Dec-13 20:54:36

Aggghh pressed post by accident.

Anyway hope to get to know you soon. I'm kind of a newbie as I haven't done 5:2 properly for a substantial amount of time. I have pretty much maintained since trying to start this a couple of months ago. Now I just need to do it properly for a few weeks which will turn into months.

BsshBossh Mon 30-Dec-13 20:54:48

Well done Biscuits.

ImABadGirl try it and see. I exercise no problems on FDs but others aren't able to at their usual intensity. It could also depend on when you work out.

SkippydedoDaa Mon 30-Dec-13 21:12:25

Sorry to be a pain already [embarrassed]...

But can someone please explain the 16 hour break between meals?

Is this relevant to fast or eat days?

EarSlaps I'm nearly ready to launch the 5:2 exercise thread.

I've collected a huge amount of tips, links and info; I'm just condensing the most important stuff so the 1st message isn't huge. I'll have to add the less vital tips as additional posts.

TalkinPeace Mon 30-Dec-13 21:32:05

skippy
have a read through the tips and hints thread - its great
but basically you want to give your digestion a 16 hour break a couple of times a week
the simplest way is to close the kitchen after supper (around 8pm) and then not eat anything till lunch the following day - ie just have tea or coffee for breakfast

EarSlaps Mon 30-Dec-13 21:35:46

Looking forward to it BigChoc grin

ImABadGirl Mon 30-Dec-13 21:38:11

I had a yoghurt at 8:30pm so I won't eat now until 16 hours time ie 1230 tomorrow, I don't think it's compulsory

Coveredinweetabix Mon 30-Dec-13 22:13:06

I finally plucked up the courage to weigh myself this morning and have put 10lbs on since the first week of December. I'm not too bothered as that is fairly typical for me at this time of year and most - if not all - of it will be gone by the end of Jan. It did inspire me to try and have a FD today. It was hard work! Probably in part due to being full of sugar having eaten masses of Quality Street yesterday. I was really grumpy in the run up to lunch and was very relieved to eat. As we still have guests, the FD didn't stay entirely on track as I had a small slice of Christmas cake and a biscotti but at least I didn't have breakfast, supper or a snack this morning. I'll try and have another day of sensible choices on Monday before starting fasting again on Mon.

Welcome to all of the newbies. It's great to see so many of you. Once you get into the swing of it, it's surprisingly easy.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 30-Dec-13 22:20:52

I'm also looking forward to the fitness thread I could use some expert tips about what is best to go along with this WOE and my running.

Skippy I do 16:8 if I don't think I can get a FD in like over Christmas. I plan to stick to 16:8 when I have a couple of consecutive NFDs. I have something little at 10:30 (if I'm hungry) and eat my evening meal at 6 so finish eating at 18:30.

I hope to work my way up to 20+ hour fasts during 2014.

whatawonderfulworld Mon 30-Dec-13 22:27:17

Have found my way over from the old thread but wanted to add thanks for the responses re: how to manage family meals. Tonight I just had a bit of the steak and roasted veg, but avoided the potatoes (though I reeeally wanted them), and I am ok so far but hopefully won't get late-night hungry as I am out of calories to use up. I like that we can still all sit down together and be eating the same meal.

I find it really hard to sleep if hungry though, and a hot drink never seems to cut it. I fear late nights will be my downfall on FDs!

Southeastdweller Mon 30-Dec-13 22:47:41

Thanks for the kind words on the previous thread and to BigChoc for this thread.

I take my hat off to everyone starting in this gap between Christmas and New Year - I bet some of you have still got calorific food lying around?

I'm fasting Thursday as I go back to work then so should be busy. Wednesday I'm starting off 2014 in style with a big breakfast out locally as well as some hair of the dog later on wink

MrsFlorrick Mon 30-Dec-13 22:49:19

Bigchoc and Earslaps. I'm with you for the 5:2 exercise thread grin

I've restarted Week 4 of Ripped in 30 today. So I'm back on it. Ready to dig deep and fight for it.

EarSlaps Mon 30-Dec-13 22:56:33

Go MrsF! I started Ripped tonight- I started on level 2 as I heard level 1 was pretty easy. I didn't instantly love it like I did the shred, but I'm sure it will grow on me. I've been looking at getting some proper adjustable cast iron dumbells so I can start building up my strength in my arms. I've got some tiny little biceps developing so I'd like to improve those a bit and get a bit more definition around the shoulders.

MrsFlorrick Mon 30-Dec-13 23:00:35

Earslaps. Ripped really is a step up from Shred and 6w6p. Weeks 3 and 4 are actually really hard. I struggle to keep up. Which is nice. that way you know it's doing something.

I do Ripped with 3kg weights. I won't up that as the moves are too fast.

I need to focus on building more muscle and reducing body fat. I'm still 6/7 lbs off goal weight and quite wobbly around stomach and backside. The rest is all fine.

Time to dig deep.

Leopardspots Mon 30-Dec-13 23:16:03

Hi all, newbie here!

Trying to read all the hints & tips and hoping for some moral support smile

I have been ttc for 2 yrs and have been put on the IUI waiting list but I need to get my bmi from 34 to 30 first so I'm going to try the 5:2.

Only problem I have is I'm medicated type 2 diabetic and need to take my medication 3 times a day with food so can't actual 'fast' for long periods of time. Do you think it would still work? I currently low carb but cannot seem to loose weight.

Fingers crossed! Thanks all smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.